PDA

View Full Version : Ragweed, rhinovirus - it's that time of year again. Break out your neti pots!

Perks
09-17-2008, 05:09 AM
Just did my first neti pot of the season because I spent the afternoon in a sneezy, germy elementary school.

Since this will be my first complete cold season after discovering the wonders of snout cleaning, I aim to see if I can avoid a cold all year. Fingers crossed.

And don't listen to Bravo when he comes in here raving. He's got a deformed sinuses and a bad attitude.

BenPanced
09-17-2008, 05:34 AM
How about those of who've almost drowned twice in their lives? Is our attitude bad?

Sorry. There's no fargin' way I'll ever use one of those things.

Perks
09-17-2008, 05:38 AM
I nearly drowned once too. It was horrible. For me, the neti pot isn't anything like that. I ain't sayin' it's pleasant, but I don't find it hard to talk myself through it. Whereas drowning was pure blind terror.

Bravo
09-17-2008, 05:49 AM
And don't listen to Bravo when he comes in here raving. He's got a deformed sinuses and a bad attitude.

i wonder if the neti poti created my sinus problems?

Perks
09-17-2008, 05:50 AM
Your sinus created your sinus problem, doctor.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
09-17-2008, 06:03 AM
I've been neti potting since our last round of discussions, my friend. Haven't had a cold. Haven't had a sinus infection. Haven't been sick at all.

Oklahoma's got allergens going 24/7/365... my neti pot goes all year long.

Thanks again, Perks!

Perks
09-17-2008, 06:16 AM
Yeah, for some reason, the Spring and Summer stuff doesn't bother me so much, but now that I've been a few months without it, I feel a bit ewwwww because I feel so nice and clean now.

What was I all the rest of the time?

Bravo
09-17-2008, 06:32 AM
How about those of who've almost drowned twice in their lives? Is our attitude bad?

Sorry. There's no fargin' way I'll ever use one of those things.

it almost killed me.

Perks
11-15-2008, 02:00 AM
Any new converts? I know of one, but I'll let him come out of the closet on his own. It's not Bravo.

It's been a godsend so far this season.

SPMiller
11-15-2008, 02:05 AM
You... you pour salty water into/through your nose?

scarletpeaches
11-15-2008, 02:06 AM
What's wrong with you people? Use a frickin' pipe cleaner!!

III
11-15-2008, 02:08 AM
I had the flu last week and used mine about ten times.

BenPanced
11-15-2008, 02:11 AM
*runs screaming from thread*
*trips on ottoman, Persian, and Turk*
*continues screaming run from thread*

Perks
11-15-2008, 02:11 AM
The results are amazing. Seriously. I've made nearly fifty converts, the last one is my daughter's ten year old best friend who is so thrilled to be off her allergy meds. Her mother told me that she can't stop exclaiming, "Mom! I can breathe! Listen!"

Perks
11-15-2008, 02:12 AM
Ya buncha babies.

truelyana
11-15-2008, 02:13 AM
Why do you need it anyway?

AnnieColleen
11-15-2008, 02:14 AM
Oklahoma's got allergens going 24/7/365... my neti pot goes all year long.

Ditto this for Texas. It's amazing what a difference it makes.

Bravo
11-15-2008, 02:15 AM
hmph.

Atani
11-15-2008, 02:18 AM
Just heard of it. Never done it.

I've got a little one who just started daycare. She was sick after 2 days, and so were we all (and it is ongoing!). I'd try about anything...but I wish it would work for her too!

Perks
11-15-2008, 02:18 AM
Why do you need it anyway?It relieves cold and allergy symptoms and actually prevents both by washing rhinovirus and allergens out.

It's completely awesome. I haven't had a headcold in two years. And I have little kids. (If I could only get them to do it.) I don't suffer from allergies, but some of the strongest reports I've gotten have been from chronic sufferers.

Honestly, you've never breathed so clearly.

Perks
11-15-2008, 02:20 AM
Just heard of it. Never done it.

I've got a little one who just started daycare. She was sick after 2 days, and so were we all (and it is ongoing!). I'd try about anything...but I wish it would work for her too!Some little kids can do. My oldest (9) doesn't take to it. The youngest (6) wants to give it a whirl this weekend. I've seen 7 and 8 year olds do it with no problem.

I think a little one would probably just think you were trying to kill her unless she is extraordinarily calm.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
11-15-2008, 02:25 AM
Ol' Boy and I do it faithfully, several times a week. I can actually BREATHE at night. I used to stop up something awful the minute my head hit the pillow. I thought it might be the down, so I got rid of those and replaced them and the comforter with that hypoallergenic stuff. That wasn't it. Sinus pills, even though they claimed they were 'non-drowsy', made me drowsy.

I'll give up my netipot when they pry it from my cold, dead nose.

oneblindmouse
11-15-2008, 02:26 AM
Ok, I admit it: I'm ignorant as sin. What on earth is a Neti pot, when it's at home? I suffer from terrible sinusitis, in fact I'm having a CAT scan next week to determine if there's anything blocking my sinuses. So I'd really appreciate any effective and not too unpleasant or farmaceutical remedy.

Perks
11-15-2008, 02:34 AM
Ok, I admit it: I'm ignorant as sin. What on earth is a Neti pot, when it's at home? I suffer from terrible sinusitis, in fact I'm having a CAT scan next week to determine if there's anything blocking my sinuses. So I'd really appreciate any effective and not too unpleasant or farmaceutical remedy.You can get one at CVS or Walgreens or most 'green' grocers. It's a small pot, usually ceramic, for use in a technique developed ages ago in India to free up breathing through the nose. Usually costs between $10 and $15.

You boil some water, add a healthy pinch of non-iodized salt (some people prefer sea salt or something that's less 'processed') the same of baking soda and I like to add a dollop of liquid glycerin. You can also buy premixed powders to use. They can be quite nice too. Stir to mix and let it cool to comfortably warm. (Test with your pinky.) Personally, I prefer mine slightly warmer - it seems more comfortable.

Once it's ready, have a box of tissues handy and head to the sink. Tilt your head to one side, open your mouth and insert the spout into your nostril. Pour the stuff up your nose and it'll run out the other side. Do not swallow during the process. Drool or spit. Tilt your chin toward up slightly if you find it running down your throat.

Use half the pot for each side.

I'm not going to tell you it's pleasant. It can range from no-big-deal to holy-crap-that-stings depending on how irritated your sinuses are. It gets easier with practice. The results are immediate and amazing. I do it every day.

You can google it for instructions with photos and diagrams.

Atani
11-15-2008, 02:35 AM
Ok, I admit it: I'm ignorant as sin. What on earth is a Neti pot, when it's at home? I suffer from terrible sinusitis, in fact I'm having a CAT scan next week to determine if there's anything blocking my sinuses. So I'd really appreciate any effective and not too unpleasant or farmaceutical remedy.

Can't say I know too much, but here is what one is...

http://www.bytheplanet.com/ingr/ingr025300.cfm

Perks
11-15-2008, 02:39 AM
Ha! That's the one I have.

Everyone should have one. Tonight. I spread only goodwill. I don't even get any kickbacks.

oneblindmouse
11-15-2008, 02:41 AM
Sounds 'interesting', to say the least! But anything is better than the pain I suffer every time I have to take a plane. I just wonder if they are available in Europe. I'll keep an eye out when I go to the UK in December.

Thanks, folks.

Perks
11-15-2008, 02:42 AM
Here's a couple of articles about the neti pot:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/03/fashion/03skin.html?em&ex=1200632400&en=8b7f38de8911d202&ei=5087%0A

http://www.oprah.com/slideshow/oprahshow/slideshow1_ss_oz_20070426/5

http://www.healthmad.com/Home-Health/The-Ingenious-Neti-Pot.72839

Perks
11-15-2008, 02:43 AM
Sounds 'interesting', to say the least! But anything is better than the pain I suffer every time I have to take a plane. I just wonder if they are available in Europe. I'll keep an eye out when I go to the UK in December.

Thanks, folks.They sell plastic ones for travel. I also get sick on an airplane; catch a cold almost every time. Except not anymore.

Kitty Pryde
11-15-2008, 03:27 AM
They have this thing, it's like a neti pot but it's about 500 times easier to use. we have this one at home: NeilMed Sinus Rinse (http://www.neilmed.com/usa/products.php)
You don't have to lean over or swirl your head around, you just stand over the sink and squirt it up there. my partner had to do it like a million times a day after her sinus surgery--the surgeon made her buy it! and yes, it is super awesome. it's gross at first, but then you realize the magic of it all.

Perks
11-15-2008, 06:57 AM
Erm, you don't have to swirl your head around. You just sit still. Gravity does the rest, unless you have a solid skull, I suppose. Unpleasant, yes. Difficult, no.

Other than that, the directions look exactly the same as a neti pot, except you squeeze instead of pour.

So, same idea. Whate'er you like.

Williebee
11-15-2008, 07:06 AM
Yup. I am a recent convert and member of the Neti Pot faithful.

Sinus infections have been a part of my world for years. This thing is awesome. Gross, and you feel a bit silly to start with, but awesome. I sleep better, and wake up able to breathe.

(Thus ruining my cats' nefarious plans for home domination.)

And yeah, I owe it all to Perks. Ok, she's not to blame for the cats.

But, thanks to her I might even be able to smell her
delicate #!&@*#! flower.

Wait... that may not have come out right.

Perks
11-23-2008, 08:38 PM
An unexpected update -

My two children, 6 and soon to be 10, came home from a birthday party yesterday where the hostess was wrecked by congestion and sore throat and a decent percentage of the kiddies were snotty and feeling poorly.

Both girls asked for and managed a dose of neti pot. Actually, they handled it easily, the youngest more so than her big sister, but it was all a matter of relaxing through it. They liked the way they felt afterwards and are clamoring for another one this morning.

I'll be so pleased if they do this regularly. No more sore throats and headcolds! (Except for strep and the flu and such -- I don't know that the neti pot can do anything about that.)

Anyway, yay!