PDA

View Full Version : Truck driving in the 40s

FL Spirit
04-29-2005, 04:33 AM
For a novel I'm writing, I'd like to correspond with an 18-wheeler long distance truck driver in the mid 40s. I need info about on-the-road support, overnight arrangements, jake-brakes, time and distance. It will be a bonus if this is a McLean Trucking Company driver. Thanks.

firehorse
04-29-2005, 05:11 AM
I'm afraid I know nothing about truck driving in the 40s, but I am interested in learning whether truck stops/diners were commonplace - or even existed - back then. If so, in what parts of the country?

Sarita
04-29-2005, 07:05 AM
For a novel I'm writing, I'd like to correspond with an 18-wheeler long distance truck driver in the mid 40s. I need info about on-the-road support, overnight arrangements, jake-brakes, time and distance. It will be a bonus if this is a McLean Trucking Company driver. Thanks.
I'm going to do some research and see what I can find out for you. I'm a market research analyst and my specialty is transportation (mostly trucking and the residual effects on the roads.) :) I've just finished up a study that dealt with truck drivers of all ages and locales. I might have someone for you. I'll let you know on Monday when I wander back into my office.

Sarita
05-03-2005, 02:21 PM
Hey FL Spirit- I found a few old timers for you. I sent out some emails yesterday and will let you know how they turn out. Can I email or PM you their info as they respond to me? I'd feel more comfortable with that, rather than posting here. I'm not sure if any of them worked with McLean, but that's certainly a possibility.

~Sara

FL Spirit
05-14-2005, 04:04 PM
:Fairydust Thanks, Ireland. I do appreciate your help. Now, how do I give you my email address without posting it for the world? Not that anyone on this board would abuse it... but lately someone has picked it up to send all sorts of stuff.

Blessings.

Gehanna
05-14-2005, 05:23 PM
Perhaps I can help.
My brother owns this site: http://www.classadrivers.com/index.php
You can register on the forums http://www.classadrivers.com/phpBB2/ , post a message in the Anything And Everything Truck Driver Related section and I am sure you would get all kinds of feedback. If not, just let me know and I'll log in and get them going for you.

Sincerely,
Gehanna