Truck driving in the 40s

Status
Not open for further replies.

FL Spirit

For a novel I'm writing, I'd like to correspond with an 18-wheeler long distance truck driver in the mid 40s. I need info about on-the-road support, overnight arrangements, jake-brakes, time and distance. It will be a bonus if this is a McLean Trucking Company driver. Thanks.

firehorse

Living the Dream
Registered
Reaction score
Truck stops in the 40s

I'm afraid I know nothing about truck driving in the 40s, but I am interested in learning whether truck stops/diners were commonplace - or even existed - back then. If so, in what parts of the country?

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
FL Spirit said:
For a novel I'm writing, I'd like to correspond with an 18-wheeler long distance truck driver in the mid 40s. I need info about on-the-road support, overnight arrangements, jake-brakes, time and distance. It will be a bonus if this is a McLean Trucking Company driver. Thanks.
I'm going to do some research and see what I can find out for you. I'm a market research analyst and my specialty is transportation (mostly trucking and the residual effects on the roads.) :) I've just finished up a study that dealt with truck drivers of all ages and locales. I might have someone for you. I'll let you know on Monday when I wander back into my office.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Hey FL Spirit- I found a few old timers for you. I sent out some emails yesterday and will let you know how they turn out. Can I email or PM you their info as they respond to me? I'd feel more comfortable with that, rather than posting here. I'm not sure if any of them worked with McLean, but that's certainly a possibility.

~Sara

FL Spirit

Appreciation

:Fairydust Thanks, Ireland. I do appreciate your help. Now, how do I give you my email address without posting it for the world? Not that anyone on this board would abuse it... but lately someone has picked it up to send all sorts of stuff.

Blessings.

Status
Not open for further replies.