PDA

View Full Version : Vamos otra vez - Spanish translation needed!

Kathie Freeman
09-17-2008, 01:27 AM
In this scene the cat is checking out a moving boxcar.

"There was a hole in the floor where some planks had been ripped out. I crept to the edge and peeked over."

This usage of the word "over" has me befuddled.

dpaterso
09-17-2008, 01:30 AM
Usage seems reasonable to me, since "peeked over the edge" would have made sense.

This is more of a grammar question, no? I'll move it into Grammar For Grasshoppers, more chance of feedback there methinks.

Is "Vamos otra vez" secret cat code?

-Derek

Matera the Mad
09-17-2008, 10:29 AM
Yeah, que es la problema? Unless peered through would make you happier. If I were a cat I would peer over an edge.

For the non-Spanglish-speakers: Vamos otra vez=here we go again

Jill
09-17-2008, 11:49 AM
Perdon, pero 'problema' es mascullino! El problema -

easy to remember - [I]el problema es mascullino - la solucion es feminino[I]

p.s. I'm not really sexist - honest!

Kathie Freeman
09-17-2008, 06:40 PM
I guess I didn't make myself clear. What I'm asking for here is the Spanish quivalent of the above sentence.

dpaterso
09-17-2008, 06:46 PM
:e2smack:

I edited the thread title for clarity. :)

...And moved it back to Story Research.

-Derek

Jill
09-17-2008, 08:06 PM
Sorry Kathie. It means literally, 'let's go again' - it's common to say, 'vamos a ver' which means let's go see. Hope that helps.

Kathie Freeman
09-18-2008, 09:26 PM
Okay, let's try this again.
"There was a hole in the floor where some planks had been ripped out. I crept to the edge and peeked over."

My S/E dictionary doesn't cover this partcular usage of the word "over", so I need to know how to phrase the last part of the sentence - peeked over.

wordmonkey
09-19-2008, 12:01 AM
How about changing that last sentence to end with down instead of over?

Me arrastré al borde y miré a escondidas abajo.

(This is translation software, so you might wanna have a genuine Spanish Speaker confirm.)

Judg
09-20-2008, 09:34 AM
Never, ever, ever trust translation programs. They can take a three-word sentence and screw it up.

I'm sorry, I can't help you with the Spanish. If it were French...

Kathie Freeman
09-20-2008, 08:27 PM
You mean like "Atornillarlo hacia arriba"? No, I always double check everything with my S/E dictionary, but sometimes it just doesn't cover what I'm loking for, which is why I come here.

Deb Kinnard
09-26-2008, 04:29 AM

Había un hoyo en el suelo donde faltaban unos tablones. Me arrastré al margen y miré hacía abajo.

Kathie Freeman
09-26-2008, 07:36 PM
So the best solution is to forget the "over" and go with "down". Thanks, everyone.
Kathie