Dialect in Westerns

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
This weekend, I worked on an on-line column that started out being something else but ended up being about dialect. (Don't a lot of articles do that? :)) I ended up using a few examples from Western novels. From the time I first picked up a Western years ago, I noticed that some authors used a lot of dialect. For example, some years ago, I remember picking up a Nelson Nye Western and putting it back down because it seemed too hard to read. I have yet to read one of his books, even though some have looked interesting.

So far, I'm pretty sure most of the more recent Westerns I've read lately use dialogue sparingly. In most cases, authors evoke the feel of dialect by word choice, slang, altering the order of words, etc., and then "lighter" elements such as dropping "g's" on the ends of gerunds. I know some authors do use dialect, but it doesn't seem as heavy as it used to be in older books. So is heavy dialect something of the past in Westerns, or am I just coming across the wrong books? :D Also, in the past, was that sort of dialect popular with readers before eventually falling out of popularity, or were there other reasons it feel out of favor? Did readers want the strong dialect? Did they start to complain about overuse of dialect?

Also, what do publishers (and readers) think of heavy dialect today? Has it fallen out of favor? Is it only found in impenetrable lit'ry novels? ;) What impression do you get if you pick up a book, and find that it uses lots of heavy dialect.

Finally, what about dialect used as a form of characterization? In older books, dialect was often used for the heroes, or at least for decent people he met during the story. (For example, the plainspoken trapper.) But more recently, I got the impression that some authors use dialect only for the dialogue of villains or other disreputable types. Or does this depend on the author? Or maybe I'm hanging out at the wrong saloons. ;)

P.S. My article thingie ended up here:
http://www.likesbooks.com/atbfnew.html

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Like you, I find heavy dialect makes for sluggish reading. I end up sounding out in my mind what is written on the page. I don't care for it. I think it can be done much more subtly with word choice and other factors. Re the older westerns which were so heavily laden, I think that was just the style at the time. Probably wouldn't get past an agent today. This summer I read two westerns written by Robert Parker, best known for his Spenser mysteries. They were (IMO) very good, and true 'westerns', as opposed to 'novels set in the west'.

MM

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
From discussions on the historical forum, it appears that the use of much dialect is a thing of the past. Word choice and subtle/small changes are preferred to indicate dialect.

I personally think you have to use enough dialect to be fairly realistic - cowboys are going to say shucks and dangit rather than the Oxford equivalents. Just don't overdo it.

I've also read quite a few of those older, littered with dialect and colloquialism, works. They didn't bother me after I settled in to the story. It's much the same as using foreign words - you can let them annoy you or you can learn from them. Puma

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
(Cool Thread Starter Girl strikes again!)

I have a rule -- only one vocal tic per character.

If Character A drops his g's, then that's ALL he gets.

If Character B makes with the folksy sayings, then that's ALL he gets.

If Character C uses the big, fancy words to show how much more educated he is than the others, then that's ALL he gets.

And so on.

These days, heavy dialect is a hard sell, for the reasons listed -- it makes the books harder to read. Also -- there was a thread on something similar either in Novels or Roundtable a few weeks ago, btw -- the writer can get the dialect wrong and offend a large portion of his readership. (That was a biggie for folks on that thread, btw, that someone would insinuate the character was from Alabama, but be talking "wrong" for Alabama, and/or come off as condescending, etc.)

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
From discussions on the historical forum, it appears that the use of much dialect is a thing of the past. Word choice and subtle/small changes are preferred to indicate dialect.
Thank God it's a thing of the past.
:e2thud: ;)

I personally think you have to use enough dialect to be fairly realistic - cowboys are going to say shucks and dangit rather than the Oxford equivalents. Just don't overdo it.

I've also read quite a few of those older, littered with dialect and colloquialism, works. They didn't bother me after I settled in to the story. It's much the same as using foreign words - you can let them annoy you or you can learn from them. Puma
That's true. It certainly has been a learnin' experience. ;) I do like learning old slang through novels. Now I know why the Rawhide Kid graphic novel was called Slap Leather. :D (BTW be very careful when Googling that phrase...)

(Cool Thread Starter Girl strikes again!)
I just can't help mahself.

I have a rule -- only one vocal tic per character.
That makes sense, and it's a lot easier for a writer to keep track of. If you juggle too many vocal tics, you can lose track, just like authors who forget which characters have green eyes and which have brown eyes.

These days, heavy dialect is a hard sell, for the reasons listed -- it makes the books harder to read. Also -- there was a thread on something similar either in Novels or Roundtable a few weeks ago, btw -- the writer can get the dialect wrong and offend a large portion of his readership. (That was a biggie for folks on that thread, btw, that someone would insinuate the character was from Alabama, but be talking "wrong" for Alabama, and/or come off as condescending, etc.)
You should see some of the discussions about Scottish dialect on my romance list. The use of Scottish dialect in romances drives the Scottish and English readers nuts. One of the writers on the list is a historical and paranormal writer from the UK with a strong interest in history. She's also a big fan of the Lymond Chronicles, so if you write something set in Scotland, you have big shoes to fill. She had some great posts about Scottish dialect and how authors usually get it wrong.

bergalia

Registered
Reaction score
You should see some of the discussions about Scottish dialect on my romance list. The use of Scottish dialect in romances drives the Scottish and English readers nuts.

Way out of context here Anne - but have you suggested they read: 'A Scots Quair' by Lewis Grassic Gibbon ?

HoraceJames

Registered
Reaction score
Website
horacejames.wordpress.com
Dialect is like a sharp scalpel -- in the hands of a hack it can do a lot of damage, but in the hands of a surgeon... well, they can hack, too, but also produce some great things.

A few examples, written completely in the local dialect:
"Mason & Dixon" -- Thomas Pynchon, 18th century America. A western, of sorts.
"Far Tortuga" -- Peter Matthiessen, mid-19th century Cayman Islands.

Both of them are tough reads, and you'd have to be a Pynchon or Matthiessen to get them published.

More sparing in dialect is Matthiessen's "Mr. Watson" trilogy, which he assembled into a single volume, "Shadow Country," and won the 2008 National Book award... The first book, "Killing Mr. Watson," is a must for any fan of Westerns or historical fiction. A portrait of an outlaw told in interview style.

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Mark Twain used dialect, to great effect.

Note, however, that we're talking masters of literature who can and do get away with it. Maybe for your 3rd or 4th book, but I wouldn't go out of my way to try to do a lot of dialect when you're still searching for an agent and a publisher.