Urgent problem! :( Sick kitten!

Ageless Stranger

Dave Brubeck kicks your ass.
Registered
Reaction score
I posted this in the kitten thread but decided to make it into a thread for visibility because I am seriously worried. One of the kittens seems to have taken a turn for the worse. He isn't walking properly- his back legs keep failing him/pushing him forward whenever they contact something, his tail appears to be spasming and he's very lethargic; his head lolls about when he is held in both hands. This literally came from out of nowhere. Less than half an hour ago, he was fine. Does anyone have any idea what's wrong? Has anyone came across this kind of thing before?

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure where you are, but over here if something like that happened first thing I would check for would be a Bush Tic.

JJ

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
Get the little thing to a vet Agless Stranger- I have no idea what is wrong, but kittens are fragile and can get very sick very fast. Good luck!

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
Gosh, I'm so sorry to hear this. Please keep us posted about the poor little thing. I hope it turns out to be ok, but it doesn't sound good.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
he defintely needs a vet could be anything from tick borne disease to neurological damage good luck

willfulone

I am a zebra...
Registered
Reaction score
A vet check is in order. This sounds like some kind of seizure disorder - with loss of motor function like that. If it stays that way all the time, no. If it happens on/off - seizures seem like a possiblity. Good luck to you and kitty!

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
It may be, as suggested before, a parasite of some kind of a nerological disease. But, is there any chance he may have gotten into something poisonous? Take him to a vet stat, I'd say, and the best of luck to you and the little guy.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, there is absolutely nothing we can do for you over the net. He needs a vet check and if money is a problem then be ready to make a tough decision. It sounds serious but only a vet can say for sure, after a physical exam (and maybe more tests)

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
I would look in the yellow pages for an after hours Vet. We have them here and it's well worth it. He might have taken a tumble you aren't aware of and something could be broken or out of place.

I'd not waste another moment worrying and go now.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with the others on this. I had this happen to a couple of kittens (actually, one was full-grown before this started, but it's most often kittens). They were both Manx cats, and apparently it's a problem with that breed. So my first question when I read your post was, "Does the kitten have a tail?"

Ageless Stranger

Dave Brubeck kicks your ass.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all advice guys. My fiancee and mother took the cat to the vet today (I'm too ill to do anything much, and we had trouble finding one nearby that was open). They've just contacted me to say that there's nothing to be done for the little guy, and that vet has said it would be best for him to be put to sleep. Not sure exactly what the problem was yet, but I'll obviously learn the details later. This well and truly sucks. That's me off for today.

:(

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I was afraid that would happen. Get well, Ageless.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
AS - I just read your other thread about these kitties. You mentioned the mother cat was found dead. I don't suppose you know what killed her? Did the vet who saw the kittens initially do any blood work, or simply a physical exam?

I only ask, because six years ago, I tried to rescue four abandoned kittens found beneath our trailer. Within a month, all four of the wee things had passed, and we learned later that the momma cat was infected with Feline AIDS. :(

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
I take putting animals down really hard. When I have to do it, I ask the vet if I can stay in the room while they go, and I try my hardest not to cry and to pet them and reassure them as they pass on. Then as soon as I get out of the room, I break down and end up moping for the next few weeks. I *really* hate having to put the little guys down :(

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
Ageless, I'm so sorry. But I am glad for him that he was taken care of and loved before this happened. Good for you taking them in.