PDA

View Full Version : Urgent problem! :( Sick kitten!

Ageless Stranger
09-16-2008, 11:53 PM
I posted this in the kitten thread but decided to make it into a thread for visibility because I am seriously worried. One of the kittens seems to have taken a turn for the worse. He isn't walking properly- his back legs keep failing him/pushing him forward whenever they contact something, his tail appears to be spasming and he's very lethargic; his head lolls about when he is held in both hands. This literally came from out of nowhere. Less than half an hour ago, he was fine. Does anyone have any idea what's wrong? Has anyone came across this kind of thing before?

JJ Cooper
09-17-2008, 12:03 AM
Not sure where you are, but over here if something like that happened first thing I would check for would be a Bush Tic.

JJ

sheadakota
09-17-2008, 12:04 AM
Get the little thing to a vet Agless Stranger- I have no idea what is wrong, but kittens are fragile and can get very sick very fast. Good luck!

Ageless Stranger
09-17-2008, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll have to see if there's anything I can arrange.

joyce
09-17-2008, 12:58 AM
Gosh, I'm so sorry to hear this. Please keep us posted about the poor little thing. I hope it turns out to be ok, but it doesn't sound good.

regdog
09-17-2008, 01:15 AM
he defintely needs a vet could be anything from tick borne disease to neurological damage good luck

willfulone
09-17-2008, 01:22 AM
A vet check is in order. This sounds like some kind of seizure disorder - with loss of motor function like that. If it stays that way all the time, no. If it happens on/off - seizures seem like a possiblity. Good luck to you and kitty!

TsukiRyoko
09-17-2008, 01:38 AM
It may be, as suggested before, a parasite of some kind of a nerological disease. But, is there any chance he may have gotten into something poisonous? Take him to a vet stat, I'd say, and the best of luck to you and the little guy.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
09-17-2008, 02:24 AM
Vet sounds like a good idea... I've added 'Sick Kitten' to the thread title to see if we can catch some more attention.

Fenika
09-17-2008, 02:27 AM
Yeah, there is absolutely nothing we can do for you over the net. He needs a vet check and if money is a problem then be ready to make a tough decision. It sounds serious but only a vet can say for sure, after a physical exam (and maybe more tests)

Fenika
09-17-2008, 02:29 AM
This literally came from out of nowhere. Less than half an hour ago, he was fine.

That's the worst part :( Good luck with the little one! Keep us posted, kay.

:(

Susie
09-17-2008, 04:10 AM
Sure hope & pray he will get better, Ageless.

DL Hegel
09-17-2008, 04:13 AM
Let us know what the vet says--wish you good vibes for kitty

Cassiopeia
09-17-2008, 04:20 AM
I would look in the yellow pages for an after hours Vet. We have them here and it's well worth it. He might have taken a tumble you aren't aware of and something could be broken or out of place.

I'd not waste another moment worrying and go now.

StephanieFox
09-17-2008, 04:47 AM
Try this:
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/

A vet visit is in order ASAP.
Poor kitty!

Yeshanu
09-17-2008, 05:25 AM
I'm with the others on this. I had this happen to a couple of kittens (actually, one was full-grown before this started, but it's most often kittens). They were both Manx cats, and apparently it's a problem with that breed. So my first question when I read your post was, "Does the kitten have a tail?"

Ageless Stranger
09-18-2008, 06:57 PM
Thanks for all advice guys. My fiancee and mother took the cat to the vet today (I'm too ill to do anything much, and we had trouble finding one nearby that was open). They've just contacted me to say that there's nothing to be done for the little guy, and that vet has said it would be best for him to be put to sleep. Not sure exactly what the problem was yet, but I'll obviously learn the details later. This well and truly sucks. That's me off for today.

:(

Yeshanu
09-18-2008, 07:02 PM
I was afraid that would happen. Get well, Ageless.

ChaosTitan
09-18-2008, 07:06 PM
AS - I just read your other thread about these kitties. You mentioned the mother cat was found dead. I don't suppose you know what killed her? Did the vet who saw the kittens initially do any blood work, or simply a physical exam?

I only ask, because six years ago, I tried to rescue four abandoned kittens found beneath our trailer. Within a month, all four of the wee things had passed, and we learned later that the momma cat was infected with Feline AIDS. :(

TsukiRyoko
09-18-2008, 07:08 PM
I'm sorry to hear that :( I hate when animals have to be put down. Feel better, and again, I'm sorry.

regdog
09-18-2008, 07:12 PM
Sorry:cry:

TsukiRyoko
09-18-2008, 07:15 PM
I take putting animals down really hard. When I have to do it, I ask the vet if I can stay in the room while they go, and I try my hardest not to cry and to pet them and reassure them as they pass on. Then as soon as I get out of the room, I break down and end up moping for the next few weeks. I *really* hate having to put the little guys down :(

BenPanced
09-18-2008, 07:23 PM
Poor little thing. You did your best, and at least it left this world warm and loved.

veinglory
09-18-2008, 07:23 PM
Sorry to hear that, good on you for giving the little one a chance. How is the other one?

Grrarrgh
09-18-2008, 07:26 PM
Ageless, I'm so sorry. But I am glad for him that he was taken care of and loved before this happened. Good for you taking them in.

Pagey's_Girl
09-18-2008, 09:23 PM
(((hugs))) I'm so sorry. I know it's a cliche, but you really did do everything you could for the little one. And he knew he was loved. That's important.

Ageless Stranger
09-18-2008, 11:18 PM
I is back. Apparently there was something wrong with his liver, and he was too sickly at that point to move to a vetinnary hospital. The other kitten is fine, just alot quieter. I suspect she is aware that something has happened to her brother, which is quite upsetting. Thanks for all the sympathy guys. I'm just gonna have to focys my effort on keeping the surviving kitten healthy.

DL Hegel
09-18-2008, 11:31 PM
I am so sorry to hear that:Hug2:You did what you could do--and you babys are lucky to have a great cat parent.

dl

Fenika
09-18-2008, 11:36 PM
Ooo, liver. Yeah, with the sudden onset and it being liver, there was nothing you could have done. Liver problems bad. And, I dunno how much you know about medicine- but the liver is meant to filter lots of toxins and by-products and whatnot (fats, etc). If the liver is bypassed or fails, you can see neurologic symptoms (the shaking, etc). It can happen fast, but not always.

Good luck with the surviving kitteh. If you can afford it, take him to the vet for a check up and tell them what happened to the other kitten. You don't have to- it's just a matter of how you want to proceed.

If it's any consolation, I once 'rescued' two baby budgies from an auction. They were sick, but recovered. Then one died, just like that. Her brother got ill again, and one of my adults almost died. Now, everyone is doing well but the brother has trouble breathing at times. The brother also thinks he's tough $hit...

Cassiopeia
09-18-2008, 11:40 PM
I'm really sorry you lost your kitten. When I thought I was losing my two that I had adopted I was beside myself. I'm so grateful they are okay now.

:Hug2:

joyce
09-19-2008, 12:18 AM
:Hug2: I'm sorry the little guy was so sick. You've done a good thing though. I hope his little sister does much better.

sassandgroove
09-19-2008, 11:48 PM
:Hug2:

selkn.asrai
09-22-2008, 11:28 PM
Ageless,

I'm so sorry for your loss; it's difficult, but I hope you can keep your chin up.

I'm sure it doesn't make you feel much (if any) better, but our 8-month-old kitten developed v. similar symptoms and lived for a month before we had to put her to sleep--she was nothing less than a corpse with a pulse on her last day. Four different vets had no idea what was wrong with her, because all of her blood tests, etc., were perfectly normal. It broke my heart to be so helpless when she needed help (despite our best efforts and multiple remedies). Losing her was devastating, partly because we have no answer to what killed her. All I know is that when it happened, I wished I knew someone who would empathize with our situation, because it was so unusual. Every vet walked in the room saying, "This is baffling."

I have no doubt you'll give your other kitten lots of love. I'm holding good thoughts for you, friend. :Hug2:

Broadswordbabe
09-23-2008, 04:00 PM
I'm so sorry. Poor little scrap. I do feel for you. Give the remaining little one lots of cuddles from me and please accept an etheric hug.

It's always horrible losing them, but it's part of what you take on when you decide to give anything your love.