April 18, 1775

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to do research for a historical fiction-type novel. Everybody knows about Paul Revere, and many know about William Dawes. In my research I came across
...Paul Revere arranged for another rider waiting across the Charles River in Charlestown to be told of the army's route with lanterns hung in Old North Church.
(Wiki) My question is: Does anybody know if that other rider was ever named? I mean, is there anywhere that says "Across the Charles River So-and-so waited for the sign declaring the army's route," or something like that?

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think so. Both were assigned by the same person.
Dawes was assigned by Doctor Joseph Warren to ride from Boston, Massachusetts, to Lexington on the night of April 18, 1775, when it became clear that a British column was going to march into the countryside. Dawes's mission was to warn John Hancock and Samuel Adams that they were in danger of arrest. Dawes took the land route out of Boston through the Boston Neck, leaving just before the military sealed off the town.[1]

Also acting under Dr. Warren, Paul Revere arranged for another rider waiting across the Charles River in Charlestown to be told of the army's route with lanterns hung in Old North Church. To be certain the message would get through, Revere rowed across the river and started riding westwards himself.