PDA

View Full Version : What are you anxiously waiting for right now?

Nateskate
09-16-2008, 05:37 AM
It seems a writer is forever sitting around waiting for something, regardless of where you are in this career. Whether it's an answer to your first query, a publisher, an editor's corrections, or a royalty check.

I've been anxiously waiting to hear if my publisher likes or hates Book Two. I'm constantly checking my mail for weeks now, like a kid waiting for an Ovaltine decoder ring in the mail. I'm not really excited. I'm probably more anxious. Sorry, I guess that getting dumped the week before prom still hurts.

What are you waiting for?

kristie911
09-16-2008, 05:42 AM
For my muse to come back from his extended vacation.

C.bronco
09-16-2008, 05:43 AM
I'm waiting for my illustrator's next page, and the winning numbers to the NJ lottery.
:D

vixey
09-16-2008, 05:43 AM
OK - I have to say I'm not anxiously waiting, but I am waiting. I think I've become so cynical by all the query rejections that led to partial and full requests.

Today, I'm waiting on a full and a partial and countless queries. I'm also waiting on my muse to define the commune-like scenario my MC's daughter stumbled into. I'm eager to get started on NaNo because I've never done it and because I've got a really fun plot fleshed out.

I like the wait. It means something new will turn up around the corner.

Toothpaste
09-16-2008, 05:45 AM
I am anxiously waiting for my book to miraculousy write and edit itself. Seriously, why hasn't it finished yet??

GLAZE_by_KyrstinMc
09-16-2008, 05:46 AM
The weekend!

Appalachian Writer
09-16-2008, 05:47 AM
I'm anxiously awaiting the betas sending back the rewrite of the first book. I have a revise and resubmit request. Anxious is the word, but my primary beta calls it impatience. Maybe. All I know is that I've been sweating this thing out for weeks now. I don't exactly check e-mails frantically, but I am frantically working on my WIP, trying to ward off annoying the betas while they work. I keep changing the word count in my signature but nobody seems to notice. :D

jannawrites
09-16-2008, 05:48 AM
A sign. For what my next step should be with my writing.

FOTSGreg
09-16-2008, 05:52 AM
For the 5th draft of my first novel to be finished (worked on it for several hours this afternoon - up to Chapter 31 of 46), for my stupid query letter to look like something that might excite an agent, and for the plotting for my 4 novel WIPs and dozen or more short story WIPs to start shouting at me that I've neglected them for too long.

johnzakour
09-16-2008, 06:14 AM
I am waiting to hear the results of a lunch on Wednesday between a production company I write for people and Starz.

LisaHy
09-16-2008, 06:17 AM
* Awaiting my copy of Aurealis Issue 41 which has shorties from both me and a good friend

* Awaiting word from an editor of anthology with the latest list of changes for another shorty

* Awaiting either a big fat contract or nicely worded rejection from big publishing house editor on my MS

* Awaiting Thursday so I can finally go see what the Wall*E fuss is about

Cheers, Lisa.

ChaosTitan
09-16-2008, 06:37 AM
I'm anxiously waiting for the final contract from my publisher, so I can put my name on the dotted line (should arrive in the next day or two). :)

Madison
09-16-2008, 06:42 AM
For time - writing time. Not college paper writing time (ick!) but fiction writing time.
Also for my homework to disappear, namely this ridiculous psych paper that I can't seem to finish or understand.
And (most anxiously) for the agent I met at a conference to respond to the partial I sent! Oh dears - I'm sort of freaking out, or I would be if I had more TIME.

Mr. Anonymous
09-16-2008, 06:46 AM
I'm anxiously waiting for the agents with fulls to get back to me.
Five in total, and three should be VERY soon.

Also, there's an independent publisher who is considering my novel. The owner is pitching it to the acquisitions committee. It's unlikely, as he's told me half a dozen times. Two weeks ago he told me they'd come to a decision soon. Friday I got a bright idea - maybe if I hire a publicist, they'd be more willing to take me on (since his major qualm is that they haven't done much fiction, and no YA fiction at all). He doesn't work mondays, and he always gets back to me fairly promptly, between 8:30 and 9:30, so I'll be expecting an email, for better or for worse, tomorrow or soon after.

Also waiting to hear back about two short stories I've submitted. For one, the response time was supposed to be two weeks, which means sometime this week.

And lastly, I'm waiting on myself to finish my second novel, so I can begin revising, so I can begin querying again. lol.

So yea. If it wasn't for school, I think I'd go insane.

Fillanzea
09-16-2008, 07:01 AM
-Wednesday, when my friend from high school is coming into town, and we're going to go see Equus! Starring Daniel Radcliffe!

-Talking with my agency to see who will be my new agent

-Getting my book contract all finalized!

Darzian
09-16-2008, 07:24 AM
Well......I'm eagerly waiting for college to begin in february.

And I can't wait to finish my WIP which is only 20 000 words through (of a projected 80 000)- YA Fantasy

Judg
09-16-2008, 07:54 AM
For betas to get back to me...

JeanneTGC
09-16-2008, 08:53 AM
For my surgery (tomorrow, at the godawful hour of 8am meaning I have to be up at the worse hour of 5:30am), for my first real edits from my editor on both my books (which, for the last 2 months, I keep on thinking should arrive any day now and haven't), and for news from my agent on the status of the other books we have out on submission.

Woodsie
09-16-2008, 08:56 AM
For my motivation to catch up with my intentions so they can get married and have results.

bsolah
09-16-2008, 09:10 AM
I'm waiting for people to leave my office so I can work on character profiles. Also waiting to pay off my credit card so I can go part-time, so work less and write more.

Mumut
09-16-2008, 09:39 AM
For five cheques in the mail from libraries, for Thursday when the vet's receptionist is buying six of my books for Christmas presents (I wish more people had that good idea for a gift!). For the amended contract from the publisher.

But I'm not just waiting. I'm ringing to get myself guest speaker appointments and signings but above all, I'm still writing.

mlhernandez
09-16-2008, 09:43 AM
Replies to queries and partial.

KC Sunshine
09-16-2008, 09:58 AM
My contract for book number one, and inspiration for book number two.

triceretops
09-16-2008, 10:35 AM
Waiting for my thriller to begin the second round of agent subs. It's not looking good and I'm feeling worse about it every day. Very perplexed about why this one did not strike a cord, or do much better than we thought it would.

tri

JoNightshade
09-16-2008, 10:36 AM
I am anxiously waiting for my book to miraculousy write and edit itself. Seriously, why hasn't it finished yet??

This.

Also, a space of time long enough that I can sink into my MC's psychotic frame of mind and rewrite my opening pages. Hopefully tomorrow afternoon.

Deccydiva
09-16-2008, 01:42 PM
I have queried an Agent for the first time. You have to send an email query, then if they are interested they ask for a covering letter, synopsis, Author bio and the first three chapters or 50 pages.
On the website they say once you have submitted the requested papers (hard copy) they will get back to you within eight weeks. However, there is no timescale indicated for the email query. It's now eight weeks and one day...

illiterwrite
09-16-2008, 03:16 PM
Like Toothpaste, I'm waiting for someone else to do my work for me (but for me, it's copy edits).

illiterwrite
09-16-2008, 03:36 PM
Good luck, Kevin. I was wondering about your 2007 novel.

Eldritch
09-16-2008, 04:15 PM
Not anxious, but I am waiting for the last of my Betas to reply.

Alpha Echo
09-16-2008, 04:26 PM
The remaining queries I've sent to come back...rejected I'm sure. :(

Phaeal
09-16-2008, 04:29 PM
Godot. Or at least his agent.

CaroGirl
09-16-2008, 04:58 PM
Rejections on the last 4 queries I sent out on my latest novel and rejections on the very few short stories I have out there (I think only 2 at the moment).

I'm also waiting for the elves to drop in overnight and finish writing my MG novel while I sleep.

tehuti88
09-16-2008, 06:56 PM

I'm just waiting for people to read and enjoy my writing and actually let me know they are. And to maybe make a likeminded friend from it.

After being let down enough times in life that's all I'm really waiting for. I gave up all my other dreams, like getting published or merely getting popular. By now I'd be happy for just one reader who doesn't end up losing interest and disappearing.

By now I think I'm going to be waiting forever. :(

JohnDavidPaxton
09-16-2008, 07:01 PM
The sweet release of death.

Side-stepping that, I'd very much like for that automatic edit thing -- and I mean a real edit not the half-handed stuff I do -- in fact, I'll take two.

CaroGirl
09-16-2008, 07:02 PM
The sweet release of death.
Oh my. I know that's tongue-in-cheek, but why does it make me feel so sad?

Nateskate
09-16-2008, 07:14 PM

I tried that also. The lousy book refused. I couldn't get the darn thing out of the bathtub. It would nibble Bon-Bons all day and watch tv all night. Sigh, what is it about books that they're so stubborn sometimes?

Nateskate
09-16-2008, 07:16 PM
I'm just waiting for people to read and enjoy my writing and actually let me know they are. And to maybe make a likeminded friend from it.

After being let down enough times in life that's all I'm really waiting for. I gave up all my other dreams, like getting published or merely getting popular. By now I'd be happy for just one reader who doesn't end up losing interest and disappearing.

Don't give up on your dreams. I'm sure you'll find a like-minded friend. But it takes guts to put our writing out there for criticism. Hope you find the right reader to encourage you.

Nate

Irysangel
09-16-2008, 07:28 PM
I'm waiting on 2 emails from NY. Sigh. :)

The waiting is hard.

Darzian
09-16-2008, 08:42 PM

Oh my gosh, don't give up! If you couldn't land an agent just keep querying for eternity. If you feel like it's getting nowhere then spend less time on it so you don't feel as depressed and spend more time doing anything else that's fun. After all the writing, is it worth giving up? I just read some agent's posts in the Ask Agent section and one of them said that he only accept 1% of queries. That just made me stare until I could make out the pixels on my screen.

Hang in there, even if by a single strand of hair!

blacbird
09-16-2008, 10:40 PM
Godot. Sumbitch said he'd be here weeks ago.

caw

Judg
09-16-2008, 10:51 PM
I have queried an Agent for the first time. You have to send an email query, then if they are interested they ask for a covering letter, synopsis, Author bio and the first three chapters or 50 pages.
On the website they say once you have submitted the requested papers (hard copy) they will get back to you within eight weeks. However, there is no timescale indicated for the email query. It's now eight weeks and one day...
Deccy, please don't tell me you are querying only one agent at a time and then waiting for a response before continuing.

No, no, no. Absolutely no. Send out five. Or ten. Then repeat next week.

Karen Duvall
09-16-2008, 11:10 PM
I'm anxiously waiting for news from my agent on the submissions she has out to publishers.

I'm also waiting for her to get back to me on the synopsis and partial I sent her for a new project St. Martin's is interested in.

I'm waiting for the research I need to do to magically be absorbed by my brain.

Varthikes
09-16-2008, 11:11 PM
I'm waiting for a response from Simian Publishing, to whom I submitted a novella. Okay, I just sent it yesterday, but the suspense is a killer.

maggieuc
09-16-2008, 11:45 PM
I'm anxiously waiting for the Andrea Brown Literary Agency to email me and tell me who my new agent is!

Nateskate
09-17-2008, 11:34 PM

From one agency, I heard back for a partial after almost six months. Then I never heard again until someone else from the same agency sent a request for a partial. Go figure. I imagine the agent that first asked had switched agencies and they found my query and gave it to another agent.

underthecity
09-18-2008, 12:14 AM
I'm anxiously awaiting for:

Feedback from at least three, maybe four beta readers, two of whom are "supposedly" reading the book, and two who are definitely reading it.

To finish working on my project car and reach a stopping point so I can

Go back to work on further revising The Ghost Machine.

Being able to submit it this year would be nice.

allen

Mr Flibble
09-18-2008, 12:43 AM
I'm anxiously waiting for my muse to come back. I suspect he's gone on a nine day bender or something. He's not bloody well here, I know that.

Erin
09-18-2008, 06:43 AM
I'm waiting on responses from my first round of agent queries, plus a response from 1 NY publisher who requested the full. (Getting ready to send out a 2nd round of agent queries).

Hope someone here hears something good before the end of the week!

maestrowork
09-18-2008, 06:56 AM
Waiting for my WIP to finish writing itself...

Still waiting...

Norman D Gutter
09-18-2008, 07:07 AM
For an editor to respond to my proposal for a non-fiction book, a study guide, which he requested during a 15 minute appointment at a conference. Now 10 weeks and counting.

For an agen to respond to my novel proposal, also requested during a 15 minute appointment at a conference. Now seven weeks and counting.

Nateskate
09-19-2008, 06:12 PM
I see I have good company here. Lol. I'm still waiting to here from the publisher, and the longer it takes the more that self-doubt starts to creep in. "They just don't want to hurt my feelings; but they must have found a fatal flaw..." that sort of thinking.

Either that or they're bogged down. I figure that if they love a book, they can't wait to tell you.

vixey
09-19-2008, 06:26 PM
My muse! She pounded my head on Tuesday and I couldn't stop writing! Wednesday she danced around the room a bit, poked me in the back and raided my pantry. When she finished the chocolate, she took off down the street to visit the construction workers. I never saw her once on Thursday. I expect she'll waltz in later today, when I have something else really important to do, and start whispering in my ear.

Kats
09-19-2008, 09:26 PM
Waiting for my WIP to finish writing itself...

Still waiting...

Me too, except by finish I mean start.

Spiny Norman
09-20-2008, 01:10 AM
I sent my novel to my editor just about a week or two ago. I'm waiting for him to get back to me about what changes he wants me to make. I also haven't officially signed yet, my agent tells me it's a 6-8 week process, and it's only been two.

CoriSCapnSkip
03-14-2009, 01:46 PM
A quote I read once, probably from an editor, said, "Writers are the only people who think anything can be accomplished by waiting." I think about it all the time as I wait CONSTANTLY.

For a long time I put off having carpal tunnel surgery, but finally broke down and had both hands done in the past couple of months because I could hardly last at a keyboard to write a page, let alone a novel. It's actually pretty bearable typing now as my hands are in a downward position--I can do it better than anything which puts weight or pressure on the hands. But I still can't get seriously into a novel until I can find a good ergonomic chair on sale and be sure I'm really buying the right one. Then I have to clean my work area and properly set up my computer equipment. But it doesn't count if I'm just surfing online even if I do so for hours a day.

The other thing on which I'm constantly waiting is APPROVAL, which has always been a big issue and has become a SERIOUS problem. I got it into my head if I could meet the writer who most inspired me, I might get inspired. After years of trying, I did get to meet this person (going on six years ago now) and had a really lovely meeting and interesting talk but not much results writing wise. I pick up on these epics, write a little, then become overwhelmed thinking of the time and effort it's going to take to do it right (and the physical pain was one factor in this) and how bad I'll feel if I put in that time and effort and it's still not considered good enough (by me or the powers that be) and find some project to keep me occupied although my mind is never really off it.

Then I got the idea if I could get this other person whose work I much admire (not a writer, or, it very much looks like, a reader) to respond positively to my work that might do the trick. I sent him a copy of my book, but no answer. Since he was moving at the time, I thought maybe the book just got buried in the shuffle and the lack of response didn't really mean he despised me and that all my efforts were a sham and a waste. Being afraid to write, I decided to meet him in person. I expended considerable time, money, and effort, going out of state to an event he was attending, but unfortunately my timing was bad in asking him about having received my book, and he just gave me this look. I couldn't interpret it but was terrified to pursue the subject then, though the event lasted several more days (it took me the whole first day to work up courage to speak to him), and I was having such a good time I thought it would be "all right." He had an overwhelming positive response to me personally, just NOTHING about the book.

After getting home, sure enough, I began to obsess. After three months I couldn't stand the torture and wrote him--a multiple choice quiz, so he wouldn't have to write a long answer. I didn't receive an answer right away and over the next three months I actually suffered physical discomfort and severe lack of concentration. After those three months passed (in other words, six months after the meeting) I received his answer and he had checked

____ You were distracted by the presence of so many other people but might have discussed the subject under other circumstances?

which was actually the most logical choice all along, and wrote "Hope to see you soon!" I had, however, long since decided upon

____ You were sparing me an opinion of my book too unspeakably awful to allow utterance?

Although someone who knew him told me (during my frantic months asking around) in the whole time he knew him he'd never seen this guy reading a book or heard him discuss one he had read, I couldn't shake the feeling that his "look" was saying I was the worst writer in the world and I'd better not ever TRY writing ANYTHING again, but he couldn't say it out loud so as not to hurt my feelings and possibly look bad in front of everyone around at the time. I was afraid to try writing him again--didn't know quite what to say--but thought I'd try attending an event, talk to him, and maybe straighten out any misperception.

So then (last year) I was planning to do this but a family emergency entirely wiped out my funds. This year, everyone's broke and hardly anyone's going. So I have suffered with this for TWO YEARS. I started to seek psychological help but gave up when I had the financial problems and gas prices went up so high. I think if I try to write him, I will be a wimp, or worse, and if I don't I will just be stuck with this problem and NEVER be able to write this book...which I dream about! I'd characterize this as my single biggest problem. Garrison Keillor talked about "women who garden to avoid writing literary classics because the world already has" this, that, and the other, which describes my situation pretty much exactly. So every time I do yard work, I am asking, "Do I REALLY care about the yard or is this just to avoid writing?" I would stop worrying about this, specifically other people's opinions, specifically this one person's, if I became independently wealthy and could afford not to worry what anyone thought. (Not jolly likely.)

My other constant worry is that, just because writing is what I am best at and most serious about, is it what I am really meant to do? Am I just "forcing" myself to "want" to write because I think I "should"? And should I not write until I have these questions answered? Or should I write anyway, just in case? I keep worrying that "if I were meant to succeed as a writer, it would have happened by now" and perhaps I should find some means (?) of giving up. Because if I go to all that time, trouble, and effort, and find out it's a big waste after all, however bad I felt after meeting this guy will be mild by comparison.

I'm also not only awaiting the perfect circumstances to write, but the perfect idea. One thing I gotta get out of is waiting for people to act as I think they should. Only in the past two or three years have I been learning the awful extent of what is wrong with me and other people which has left me shocked and appalled. I constantly await the SPECIAL THING that ONLY I can do (besides being myself. Duh.) I keep telling myself that only I can write my books. Then I wait for that to be good enough. Still waiting....

So, these are the things I am waiting for!

CoriSCapnSkip
03-30-2009, 12:54 PM
Right now I'm anxiously awaiting replies to this thread.

sheadakota
03-30-2009, 03:15 PM
Waiting for edits to begin on newly accepted novel (Yey!)

TrixieLox
03-30-2009, 09:09 PM
Waiting for agent to let me know what she thinks about my revisions though not anxiously waiting yet, it's only been a week (she says nervously as she checks email and phone incessantly). Also waiting for some more ideas for book no 2 (in case book no 1 doesn't sell, sigh). But most of all, am waiting for the Powers That Be to invent a pill that means I can eat chocolate muffins and scones without putting on uber-kilos. :-)

Ugawa
03-30-2009, 09:33 PM
For me to get my butt into gear and finish the English coursework that's been due in for a week now, so I can finally get back to doing my WIP and short stories without every 2 seconds thinking 'I should be doing my coursework'.

X

CoriSCapnSkip
03-31-2009, 12:27 PM
For me to get my butt into gear and finish the English coursework that's been due in for a week now, so I can finally get back to doing my WIP and short stories without every 2 seconds thinking 'I should be doing my coursework'.

X

Same, or will be soon, with taxes.

Wayne K
03-31-2009, 05:10 PM
Awaiting agent's response to my proposal. And a publisher. and another agent.

CheshireCat
04-01-2009, 04:12 AM
Royalties.

Got the tracking number today for the FedEx envelope, so it should be here tomorrow. I have no idea what the number is, but one always hopes for lots of zeros. :D Though knowing my publisher, this could be the first batch, with others trickling in over the next few weeks.

And, no, most authors probably don't have their royalties statements and checks FedExed; I live in a rural area and don't like important stuff sitting out in my mailbox (the local yahoos regularly play mailbox baseball), so I made special arrangements.

C.J. Rockwell
04-01-2009, 02:39 PM
I'm wating for-

The point in my life when it doesn't ALWAYS take years to have a quality story. Be it a novel, short story, etc.

illiterwrite
04-01-2009, 04:20 PM
Waiting for writing to take precedent over procrastination.

ChrisKelly331
04-01-2009, 06:22 PM
the publisher I've been dying to sell my novel to requested my full after the partial and has had it for 22 days now (not that I'm counting) I am anxiously awaiting their response

KikiteNeko
04-01-2009, 06:24 PM
Well, I have an editor from a Big House calling me in about a half hour to discuss my MS, if that counts....

CoriSCapnSkip
04-02-2009, 08:49 AM
Waiting for writing to take precedent over procrastination.

That's bloody brilliant!

happywritermom
04-02-2009, 06:47 PM
For an agent who keeps saying she "needs a few more days" before deciding whether to sign me to just shoot me and spare me this torture. She's a wonderful agent and her reasons for delaying her decision are legitimate, but I can't stand this much longer.

MelodyO
04-02-2009, 07:12 PM
I'm anxiously waiting for my last beta to send her notes on my novel so I can FINALLY send it out to agents. I love my little book so very much, and I'm more than ready to find out one way or another if a professional out there shares my feelings. This might be the breaking point for me, so a lot is on the line as to where my life and dreams go from here. ::eats a case of chocolate bars::

Prickly Pear
04-02-2009, 07:22 PM
That's rough, happywritermom. I hope you hear back from her soon!

I'm waiting for my editor to read the first three chapters and outline of my second novel, and to tell my agent what she thinks. My publisher has right of first refusal.

Finding it very difficult to keep working on the dang thing while she decides if she wants it or not. It's been about two weeks. Could be a while longer, but that doesn't stop me from checking my email like a madwoman.

BrittaMoline
04-04-2009, 10:06 AM
For a reply from my subject's widow. Waiting to hear back from contacts is nerve-wracking, even if they are the sweetest people ever! (As she is)

CoriSCapnSkip
04-09-2009, 03:03 PM
Regarding validation and the person referenced above....

I went and saw Coraline, which got me to thinking about The Wizard of Oz (movie it most resembles) and how the main characters set such stock in what the Wizard can do for them--then he sent them on a nearly-impossible quest they fulfilled at risk of their lives--then the characters find the Wizard is pretty useless after all and has to make do with handing out consolation prizes, but helped them see that by fulfilling the quest they had acquired and proven the traits they sought...yada, yada....

What I'm looking for is pretty near impossible, too. If I DON'T finish a major book...I'm useless and my life is pointless. If I DO, and it's no good, oddly enough I think I'll feel even worse from having wasted so much time and effort. So what I was looking for, was the go-ahead that I am even on the right track, to TRY. I need real incentive before embarking on such an undertaking!! (What's more, I'd like to have it so that if I don't succeed on the first couple of tries, my life is not a total waste.) If I can't get it one way I will have to keep trying! So frustrating!

ABekah
04-10-2009, 06:01 AM
Waiting for one good agent to offer representation. All it takes is one. I'm also waiting for myself to quit procrastinating on novel #2.

Chumplet
04-10-2009, 06:45 AM
I am anxiously waiting for my first book signing on Saturday. I wish my ten books had arrived -- I only have 16 to bring to the signing. Will it be too much or not enough?

Also, blue maple leaf shaped cookies and hopefully no zombies will show up.

Toothpaste
04-10-2009, 06:50 AM
I am anxiously waiting for my first book signing on Saturday. I wish my ten books had arrived -- I only have 16 to bring to the signing. Will it be too much or not enough?

Aw man, pity you're out in Newmarket, would have been awesome to attend! Break a leg though, I bet it'll go awesome!

I'm waiting to hear back from my agent about my latest MS. We've already gone through one round of edits, will another be required or will we be able to, gulp, start shopping it around? To be honest, not sure which I would rather, tweaking is so much safer you know?

Chumplet
04-10-2009, 07:14 AM
Adrienne, I have to get a copy of Timothy for my niece Mishayla's next birthday. She already has Alex.

Toothpaste
04-10-2009, 08:58 AM
You're sweet, thank you! You'll have to let me know what she thinks. It's a little different from Alex (though Alex does reappear half way through) as the main character has a very different personality. I always wonder what kids will think of the change in tone . . . :)

CoriSCapnSkip
04-12-2009, 01:31 PM
This is a tough one, being I've been working on it for over 40 years. I'd like to feel good enough about myself and my life to be able to write without being afraid that I'll be killed if my first effort doesn't outdo Shakespeare.

sheadakota
04-12-2009, 05:03 PM
I am waiting for my editor to start sending me revisions on my book! I can't wait to get going on it!

Horserider
04-12-2009, 07:22 PM
ANY reply to my queries. Six still out *paces*

AnonymousWriter
04-12-2009, 08:47 PM
The courage to start my next novel.

CoriSCapnSkip
04-29-2009, 09:42 AM
Perhaps the most difficult thing to learn is to write for oneself without having to constantly be justified through others. It's the one thing I'd most like to learn besides not being my own worst critic to the point of being afraid to write.

susangpyp
04-29-2009, 10:16 PM
The official release date of my book is 5/4/09 (Monday!) but it's been shipping from online sellers for the past two weeks. I'm waiting for reviews, general reception etc.

NAIL BITER!

susangpyp
04-29-2009, 10:19 PM

Let us know how this goes (is there a place for that on AW?). Congratulations!

Matera the Mad
04-30-2009, 04:27 AM
Waitin' for my git-up-and-git to un-git got. As usual.

Sean D. Schaffer
04-30-2009, 11:13 AM
It seems a writer is forever sitting around waiting for something, regardless of where you are in this career. Whether it's an answer to your first query, a publisher, an editor's corrections, or a royalty check.

I've been anxiously waiting to hear if my publisher likes or hates Book Two. I'm constantly checking my mail for weeks now, like a kid waiting for an Ovaltine decoder ring in the mail. I'm not really excited. I'm probably more anxious. Sorry, I guess that getting dumped the week before prom still hurts.

I'm waiting for my Depression to go away so I can write again.

Seriously. Anymore, I feel like I can't be a good writer because I don't have the joy behind it that I used to. That, coupled with the fact my works are too short to be first novels (based on things I've heard in the past, both here and elsewhere), has basically broken my spirit. I would love to write something without feeling a tremendous weight of pain on my emotional shoulders, telling me I'll never be anything in this business.

So like I said, I'm waiting for my Depression to lift so I can love my Craft again. It's been torturing me for a long time, and I frankly am getting tired of it.

Wayne K
04-30-2009, 11:50 AM
Sean, I wrote a memoir with a heating pad duct taped to my back. If you're feeling depressed write that, Angry? Better!

Blues sprung from oppression. Poetry and prose ae driven by more than love and joy.

My wife was writing poetry about sunshine and lolipops--it was alright, but nothing special. I told her to write what she knows "You're married to me, you've met my family, write about insanity"

She's won a few contests since then.

The working title for A Life Gone Awry when I began was Fuck You Too!

Sean D. Schaffer
04-30-2009, 01:20 PM
Sean, I wrote a memoir with a heating pad duct taped to my back. If you're feeling depressed write that, Angry? Better!

Blues sprung from oppression. Poetry and prose ae driven by more than love and joy.

My wife was writing poetry about sunshine and lolipops--it was alright, but nothing special. I told her to write what she knows "You're married to me, you've met my family, write about insanity"

She's won a few contests since then.

The working title for A Life Gone Awry when I began was Fuck You Too!

I appreciate that. Thank you. :)

Ironically, just about the time I finished posting before, I felt the urge to actually break out my old WIP and do some writing. :rolleyes: Now I have some 1,635 words written down, just within the last hour or so. I haven't actually enjoyed writing so much in months as I did this morning! I guess telling people how I felt had some amount of therapeutic value to it, in that I was able to get something down on screen.

And I'd forgotten about how the blues began, and tonight I remembered back to my days when I was far more prolific. I had a lot less time on my hands back then than I do now, and I think the difference was I was feeling pretty sh!tty about life in general. Maybe that's why my writing means something to me again now.

Thanks again. :)

bonitakale
04-30-2009, 04:35 PM
Yeah, I wrote more and better when I was depressed. But it was killing my marriage. I'd rather have Bill than be a writer, so I stay on the pills, but best of all would be to be happy AND creative.

Manix
04-30-2009, 04:48 PM
Yeah, I wrote more and better when I was depressed. But it was killing my marriage. I'd rather have Bill than be a writer, so I stay on the pills, but best of all would be to be happy AND creative.

You can have both. Depression isn't the only motivator for creativity! Wow. I hope I didn't start that idea on these boards... I think any of the emotions, hatred, anger, fear, joy, love, when you feel them and acknowledge them can compel you into writing. I used to think I was really, really weird (okay, so I am a bit weird, still--but hey, everybody's got their own vice) because people would tell me I was too sensitive. I took that to mean I was a cry-baby or a whimp. I didn't cry though. I never cried. That's the weirdest part of it. I couldn't cry when I was a kid because I bottled everything up inside and didn't acknowledge any of it. When I got into high school I contemplated suicide and again when my marriage ended. But I didn't write then. It's only been since I've found peace again that I've had the urge to write. Now I have three novels in the making, one completed, one prequel in the preliminary stages and several other outlines for different genres. I think my creativity is way better now that I'm healthier!

midknighthaze
04-30-2009, 09:24 PM
Waiting for the courage to start on the darn novel again. Oh, and for finals to be over and done with.

Sean D. Schaffer
04-30-2009, 10:14 PM
Now I'm waiting anxiously for another chance to write. I've gotten the writing bug again! :hooray: I'm pretty happy about it, because I'd gone so long without getting any work done. I might be finishing Chapter Two before the day is out....maybe before the hour is up. :)