View Full Version : Melted CD smell?

09-15-2008, 09:54 PM
Has anyone ever set a CD or DVD on fire or melted one under high heat? What does it smell like?


09-15-2008, 10:34 PM
I wouldn't try that. I think it would release a toxic snoke.

09-15-2008, 10:50 PM
Never tried this either and I wonder about toxic fumes, too. If I asked my husband or son this question they'd take an old scratched CD out in the back yard and set it on fire. (Maybe use a magnifying glass for fun.) Don't suppose that's an option for you.

Story research can be so fun sometimes!

09-15-2008, 10:51 PM
I would think it probably smells like burning plastic. No?

ink wench
09-15-2008, 11:11 PM
I knew someone who put one in a microwave once. Smelled a bit like burnt plastic and overheated electrical wiring, not pleasant. And I don't recommend trying it. (Though it looked kind cool.)

Tsu Dho Nimh
09-15-2008, 11:40 PM
more sharp and acrid than most burning plastics - almost nose-burning

Rub one briskly with a cloth and sniff it ... it's that smell but more so.

09-16-2008, 12:31 AM
Put one in a microwave for 2 seconds, and you'll get the idea. It looks cool too, but it might leave some melted plastic on the bottom of the microwave, so put a paper towel under it or something. As far as fumes, it shouldn't really be an issue, because the plastic is polycarbonate, and shouldn't have much in the way of halogens or any of that really toxic stuff. It's Saran wrap that you really have to worry about.

09-16-2008, 05:43 PM
Thank you all.

09-17-2008, 04:56 PM
Maybe put one in a CD burner for a while and sniff it to get an idea?

09-20-2008, 01:14 PM
I wouldn't try that. I think it would release a toxic snoke.

Toxic snokes are the worst.

I'd set fire to one and see for myself.