PDA

View Full Version : What kind of typist are you?

JoeEkaitis
09-15-2008, 08:46 PM
Do they even TEACH touch typing in school anymore?

Ageless Stranger
09-15-2008, 08:51 PM
I can manage most of the keyboard without looking, but that was all self taught.

SPMiller
09-15-2008, 08:53 PM
Full touch-typist of the entire keyboard. Well over a decade of programming and computer gaming has trained me to pick out any key I like, whenever I like, while making few errata. Never received formal training, but my high school did offer a course.

A. Hamilton
09-15-2008, 08:56 PM
self taught, no real pattern to my tapping, test out only around 45-50 wpm.

vixey
09-15-2008, 08:57 PM
I think I'd be an extremely frustrated writer if I couldn't type. I actually consider (now that I spend so much time at my keyboard) the typing class I took in 10th grade to be one of the more valuable classes I took. And, no, I'm not all that ancient, BUT - the typewriters were manual!!

A. Hamilton
09-15-2008, 08:58 PM
..and in high schools now, the class is called Keyboarding Applications and includes basic word processing and some spreadsheet techniques. it's required freshman year here.

CaroGirl
09-15-2008, 09:01 PM
I'm a touch typist and I learned the skill in school. My kids are learning to type during their computer period in class and we have typing software on our home computer.

Who doesn't know how to type these days?

Bubastes
09-15-2008, 09:05 PM
I can touch-type everything except for a few seldom-used symbols. I'm self-taught and average about 50 wpm.

Beach Bunny
09-15-2008, 09:05 PM
I started out using two fingers. Now, after years (and years) of using a keyboard I have progressed to mostly touch typing. I still occasionally glance at the keyboard.

maestrowork
09-15-2008, 09:10 PM
I can't touch type except some numbers (especially 4 to 8) and symbols -- I can never remember which symbol is which key except ! @ # & ( ) / and ?

BenPanced
09-15-2008, 09:10 PM
I learned basic letters and punctuation through high school, but I taught myself the upper row when I was doing a data entry job sending out brochures with alphanumeric catalog codes. It was a pain typing one letter then moving my hand off to the keypad for the three numbers.

Duncan J Macdonald
09-15-2008, 09:27 PM
Yup, I'm a full touch typist. I fully touch all of the keys -- just not in the right order.

The original of those sentences, before the "Auto-Magical Korrect-O-Type Genie" got a hold of it was:

"Uncon, cvoivco[i, skjp-- -=j23 p[*(&*&^y092 9kc;a---=i-21j-kmnsjm ]p[230op01984=-=1."

Shadow_Ferret
09-15-2008, 09:30 PM
Full-typist. Self-taught. I wanted to be a writer and typing was a necessity. I learned on a manual typewrtier and used some of my mom's old typing course books from her days in school to learn. Then I took some typing classes in High School (IBM Selectrics) because it was an elective. Either typing, home ec. or shop class. I like my fingers intact, so I went with typing. (And yes, I also took home ec.)

Pagey's_Girl
09-15-2008, 09:36 PM
When I was in high school, tying was a prerequesite for taking any computer classes. However, it is rather hard (a least I thought it was) trying to apply touch typing learned from a manual typewriter to a computer keyboard. (This was in the 1980's. okay, not the 1880's.:tongue)

Last time I was tested, I was clocked at 80 WPM. Not too bad...

Yeshanu
09-15-2008, 09:53 PM
I didn't want to take typing. It was a "girly" course, and I wasn't into "girly" things. That was before computers became widely available. I am soooo glad my mother won that argument!

I generally use the numeric keypad for numbers, because I have kick-ass data entry skills, and I need to look at the symbols, but I type a lot better than I did in Grade 9. I guess it does help to practice...

JoNightshade
09-15-2008, 09:56 PM
I taught myself to type when I was about 12. At that point I had notebooks full of handwritten stories and the only way to get them on the internet was to type! So type I did. I ended up taking a keyboarding class in high school just for the credit but it was pretty extraneous since my typing speed was already quite acceptable. Last time I did a typing test I clocked in at 75.

kristie911
09-15-2008, 11:07 PM
I took typing in high school. On manual typewriters. And I'm not even that old! :D

My boss is self-taught and he types by touch with his right hand and uses one finger on his left. We tell him his form of typing is called "one hand and a pecker". :roll:

jennifer75
09-15-2008, 11:35 PM
I took Typing in high school for a year, on an electric. I currently type 80+ wpm. At one time I knew the numeric keys on a keyboard but ended that when I took a 10 Key course in college, so now I'm spoiled.

joyce
09-16-2008, 12:01 AM
Yes, I'm old. I took typing on a manual typewriter in Jr. High. I was so proud because I was the best in the class and was allowed to use one of the two electric typewriters we had. Seems so silly now. Last time I was clocked I was somewhere around 110 words per minute.

Jcomp
09-16-2008, 12:04 AM
I ended up taking two different typing courses between 7th and 11th grade. The first was a straight typing course in Mississippi, the second was part of a required computers class taken in San Antonio.

So yeah, I'm pretty solid on the keyboard...

Susie
09-16-2008, 12:09 AM
I was a secretary for 20 years and took up touch-typing in school.

Vincent
09-16-2008, 12:12 AM
My two fingers get the job done.

awatkins
09-16-2008, 12:30 AM
Learned to type in high school on a manual machine and I wonder if that isn't the reason I pound the keys so hard now, even after all these years. I'm really rough on keyboards; the letters end up worn off most of the keys! :D

As for speed, I can type pretty much as fast as I can think--and I can hit that backspace key in half a heartbeat! But I'm paying for all these years of machine-gun typing. I developed carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists and had surgery on my right wrist a few weeks ago. The left one will follow as soon as my right hand is recovered enough. So for now, I'm allowed limited typing and I'm very clumsy. You better believe I'm looking forward to getting everything back to normal.

Ken
09-16-2008, 12:48 AM
I type with my toes, as demonstrated in a prior thread.

GLAZE_by_KyrstinMc
09-16-2008, 12:53 AM
I would say I'm a "Full touch-typist" except sometimes I hit the wrong number/symbol key. I never look at the keyboard, just hit "delete" and try again. :D

So in turn that makes me a "Mostly touch-typist" I suppose. :)

GLAZE_by_KyrstinMc
09-16-2008, 12:59 AM

That's funny, sometimes I use my face.

JLCwrites
09-16-2008, 01:10 AM
I am NOT a typist! I believe in equality for all types.

GLAZE_by_KyrstinMc
09-16-2008, 01:14 AM
I am NOT a typist! I believe in equality for all types.

You know what I think I'll stand with you on that one.

joyce
09-16-2008, 01:29 AM
Learned to type in high school on a manual machine and I wonder if that isn't the reason I pound the keys so hard now, even after all these years. I'm really rough on keyboards; the letters end up worn off most of the keys! :D

I pound the keys so hard and perhaps this is the reason why. I operate a cash register at work and people are always commenting on how hard I hit the keys. I don't even realize I'm doing it.

GLAZE_by_KyrstinMc
09-16-2008, 01:32 AM
Do they even TEACH touch typing in school anymore?

I remember doing "typing exercises" in 2nd-5th grade.

So, they were still teaching it 4-7 years ago. I'm not certain about right now. Probably at it at an even younger age now!

Susie
09-16-2008, 02:16 AM

:)

bluntforcetrauma
09-16-2008, 02:30 AM
Two fingers. OK. You satisfied? Anything else is considered 'girly-man'. :?D I only wish typing could be accomplished via jackhammer!

GLAZE_by_KyrstinMc
09-16-2008, 02:33 AM
I only wish typing could be accomplished via jackhammer!

Trust me.

It can be done.

gypsyscarlett
09-16-2008, 03:11 AM
Mostly touch-typist here. Had a semester of typing back in HS. I glance down for numbers and the occasional symbol. I'd imagine typing out a 70,000 word novel with two fingers (and constantly staring down at the keyboard) would be very annoying. But hey, whatever gets it done.

willfulone
09-16-2008, 03:34 AM
What is this typing stuff you refer to? I speak into a modulated box and my words appear on screen.

J/k

Touch typer here.

rhymegirl
09-16-2008, 03:35 AM
I can never remember which symbol is which key except ! @ # ( ) /

Those are the ones you type together if you want to swear politely.

Ken
09-16-2008, 03:49 AM
...sometimes I use my face [to type].

gotta give that a try. Thanks for the tip :-)

GLAZE_by_KyrstinMc
09-16-2008, 03:52 AM
gotta give that a try. Thanks for the tip :-)

You are quite welcome. ;)

Kryianna
09-16-2008, 06:29 AM
I first typed on a manual typewriter that had several keys that stuck. You had to be a two finger typist on it, otherwise you'd be typing too fast and it'd stick.

I was so happy in high school when we finally got a computer. I tried to learn how to "officially" type, but didn't do well at the application. I ended up teaching myself how to type in my own way. I can type pretty quick (I don't know how many WPM), and don't have to look at the keyboard to do so.

C.bronco
09-16-2008, 06:36 AM
I'm well over 50 wpm, but I look at the keys instead of the screen.

Stlight
09-16-2008, 08:33 AM
full touch typist though it may not always seem so since I am not a full touch spellist. I do the numbers on the key from bookkeeping days. My father was an accountant a a college prof. He was one of the first to insist that the guys as well as the women had to type their term papers. (Yes, my first year at college a lot of profs let the guys turn in handwrittne papers because they weren't expected to learn typing.) My father said that was absurd (not his word) because men had hand writing as bad or worse than women and if they wanted to communicate they could (his word) learn to type too.

I love my computer. I didn't see any point in computers until they learned to spell. I remember asking my father about that. Actually, they were a big help in working for accountants and doing several sets of books a month and you so don't want to know about that.

Stlight whose rft progrram still makes her look illiterate.

Woodsie
09-16-2008, 08:38 AM
I took typing in school and I'm pretty fast. I typed this whole thing without looking. Sometimes I type so fast I get the 'wait 30 seconds between posts' message on this forum. ;)

Stlight
09-16-2008, 08:43 AM
Sheeeshe Woodsie, I don't think that fast.

S

Vincent
09-16-2008, 09:02 AM
Here let me try to do a tiut bof touch tpying just to see how I gpo. I coulds probably writye a novel like this, and do it in hgalf the time I'd othewrwise take, but... yeah, I think I'll go bnackl to my regular two finger arppacj.

GLAZE_by_KyrstinMc
09-16-2008, 02:00 PM
I took typing in school and I'm pretty fast. I typed this whole thing without looking. Sometimes I type so fast I get the 'wait 30 seconds between posts' message on this forum. ;)

:O I get that too.

truelyana
10-05-2008, 12:51 AM
Second for me. I can manage most of the keyboard without looking with both hands, and several fingers. ;)

virtue_summer
10-05-2008, 02:53 AM
I'm an almost full touch typist. Haven't mastered all the numbers and symbols since I don't use them so often but I've got the letters down. I remember learning to type in elementary school as well as on a manual typewriter my parents gave me for Christmas in about the fifth grade. I later took keyboarding in high school which covered more than just typing which I of course had down by then but also how to use word processing software, etc. The truth is that I'm so much faster at typing than I am at writing things out by hand, and I have horrible handwriting, that I avoid handwriting like the plague.

Bo Sullivan
10-05-2008, 08:31 AM
I learned touch typing at College on a manual typewriter and at first I found it really hard and my thumbs and fingers used to slip into the keyboard gaps.

I am up to 85 wpm now, because solicitors are such slavedrivers and I have worked for them for 27 years. I'm no good with symbols but can find most numbers without looking. I like to test my skill sometimes by looking out of the window whilst typing.

It would make writing a book nice and quick if only my brain would come up with ideas as fast as I could type.

:sleepy: