What kind of typist are you?

• Total voters

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Full touch-typist of the entire keyboard. Well over a decade of programming and computer gaming has trained me to pick out any key I like, whenever I like, while making few errata. Never received formal training, but my high school did offer a course.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
self taught, no real pattern to my tapping, test out only around 45-50 wpm.

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
I think I'd be an extremely frustrated writer if I couldn't type. I actually consider (now that I spend so much time at my keyboard) the typing class I took in 10th grade to be one of the more valuable classes I took. And, no, I'm not all that ancient, BUT - the typewriters were manual!!

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
..and in high schools now, the class is called Keyboarding Applications and includes basic word processing and some spreadsheet techniques. it's required freshman year here.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a touch typist and I learned the skill in school. My kids are learning to type during their computer period in class and we have typing software on our home computer.

Who doesn't know how to type these days?

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I can touch-type everything except for a few seldom-used symbols. I'm self-taught and average about 50 wpm.

Beach Bunny

The Provocative One
Registered
Reaction score
I started out using two fingers. Now, after years (and years) of using a keyboard I have progressed to mostly touch typing. I still occasionally glance at the keyboard.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I can't touch type except some numbers (especially 4 to 8) and symbols -- I can never remember which symbol is which key except ! @ # & ( ) / and ?

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I learned basic letters and punctuation through high school, but I taught myself the upper row when I was doing a data entry job sending out brochures with alphanumeric catalog codes. It was a pain typing one letter then moving my hand off to the keypad for the three numbers.

Duncan J Macdonald

Plotting! Not Plodding!
Registered
Reaction score
Yup, I'm a full touch typist. I fully touch all of the keys -- just not in the right order.

The original of those sentences, before the "Auto-Magical Korrect-O-Type Genie" got a hold of it was:
"Uncon, cvoivco[i, skjp-- -=j23 p[*(&*&^y092 9kc;a---=i-21j-kmnsjm ]p[230op01984=-=1."[/quote]

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Full-typist. Self-taught. I wanted to be a writer and typing was a necessity. I learned on a manual typewrtier and used some of my mom's old typing course books from her days in school to learn. Then I took some typing classes in High School (IBM Selectrics) because it was an elective. Either typing, home ec. or shop class. I like my fingers intact, so I went with typing. (And yes, I also took home ec.)

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
When I was in high school, tying was a prerequesite for taking any computer classes. However, it is rather hard (a least I thought it was) trying to apply touch typing learned from a manual typewriter to a computer keyboard. (This was in the 1980's. okay, not the 1880's.:tongue)

Last time I was tested, I was clocked at 80 WPM. Not too bad...

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't want to take typing. It was a "girly" course, and I wasn't into "girly" things. That was before computers became widely available. I am soooo glad my mother won that argument!

I generally use the numeric keypad for numbers, because I have kick-ass data entry skills, and I need to look at the symbols, but I type a lot better than I did in Grade 9. I guess it does help to practice...

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I taught myself to type when I was about 12. At that point I had notebooks full of handwritten stories and the only way to get them on the internet was to type! So type I did. I ended up taking a keyboarding class in high school just for the credit but it was pretty extraneous since my typing speed was already quite acceptable. Last time I did a typing test I clocked in at 75.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I took typing in high school. On manual typewriters. And I'm not even that old! :D

My boss is self-taught and he types by touch with his right hand and uses one finger on his left. We tell him his form of typing is called "one hand and a pecker". :roll:

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
I took Typing in high school for a year, on an electric. I currently type 80+ wpm. At one time I knew the numeric keys on a keyboard but ended that when I took a 10 Key course in college, so now I'm spoiled.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
Yes, I'm old. I took typing on a manual typewriter in Jr. High. I was so proud because I was the best in the class and was allowed to use one of the two electric typewriters we had. Seems so silly now. Last time I was clocked I was somewhere around 110 words per minute.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I ended up taking two different typing courses between 7th and 11th grade. The first was a straight typing course in Mississippi, the second was part of a required computers class taken in San Antonio.

So yeah, I'm pretty solid on the keyboard...

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
My two fingers get the job done.

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Learned to type in high school on a manual machine and I wonder if that isn't the reason I pound the keys so hard now, even after all these years. I'm really rough on keyboards; the letters end up worn off most of the keys! :D

As for speed, I can type pretty much as fast as I can think--and I can hit that backspace key in half a heartbeat! But I'm paying for all these years of machine-gun typing. I developed carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists and had surgery on my right wrist a few weeks ago. The left one will follow as soon as my right hand is recovered enough. So for now, I'm allowed limited typing and I'm very clumsy. You better believe I'm looking forward to getting everything back to normal.

GLAZE_by_KyrstinMc

Registered
Reaction score
I would say I'm a "Full touch-typist" except sometimes I hit the wrong number/symbol key. I never look at the keyboard, just hit "delete" and try again. :D

So in turn that makes me a "Mostly touch-typist" I suppose. :)