Not open for further replies.

JAlpha

Smilie Fanatic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
diaryofaliteraryfictioneditor.blogspot.com
I went out to the mailbox this afternoon and came back with a check and third place certificate from the San Gabriel Writer’s League for my flash fiction entry in their 2005 Writing Smarter Competition.
:Trophy:

The check was modest, just $20. The certificate is cute–this isn’t exactly a huge notch on my writing resume. But, I make it a point to keep as many of my pieces out for submission and/or contest recognition as I possibly can. And, sometimes I reel in a big one, sometimes a minnow.

That said, the real prize in the envelope was the judge’s evaluation sheet. It listed the eight crafting points used to evaluate my entry, and how I scored in each category. There were also handwritten notes on the manuscript with additional advice for improving the story. That’s priceless, because the contest did not include any publication. So, I am free to submit it again in a contest(as permitted) or as regular submission in a solid market.

FYI–I lost the most points in the conflict category. Pulling off a solid conflict in a flash fiction piece is tough—I thought I had done a pretty good job with it, good enough to snag third place, but not first. But, like I said, they gave me the recipe, via their critique sheet, for fixing the problem—priceless I tell ya. Priceless!

wurdwise

Banned
Reaction score
Woo hoo!! Go, Jalpha! :Cheer: Congratulations!
But you are a winner in my book everyday.;)

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
.......................:Trophy: You made us all proud. Great job.:Trophy: ......................

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations Janet,

I'm not surprised at all considering the talent and drive you've shown just on this Forum alone.

:Thumbs:

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Buddy! I'm so proud of you! Like BF said, it's not really a shocker, given the hoops you make us jump through just to keep up to your level of talent (and that's just the poetry board!)

Well done, Janet, well done. Are you going to get together with the Alpha, Alpha, Alpha's and do a little cheer for yourself?

:Trophy:

Congrats again!

~Sara

JAlpha

Smilie Fanatic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks everyone :hooray: for helping me celebrate my latest notch in my prize belt.

May is going to be a make or break month for me--I'm expecting the results

on 4 more contests that I entered earlier this year.

So, while I wait to see if I earn any more notches in my belt, I can't express

enough to all of you how important it is to keep getting your things out there,

either for regular submission or contests. After dinner, I made a trip to the

post office and sent the piece that won today right back out for

consideration as a regular submission in six lit markets I've had my eye

on.

Don't procastinate, submit :Soapbox: It'll be the highest compliment you can pay

me, honest!

Like I've said before, I can't win all the contests I enter, but just hearing that

I inspired someone else to submit their work makes me feel like a winner every

time :Clap:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Well done!

6.gif

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
That's great news Alph...wonderful that you received helpful comments too...that's always appreciated!

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Did you say "Flash" fiction??? Well, alrighty then! Congrats!

Flasher2.gif

bjewel77

Arkie Dreamer & Gardener
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats to you, JAlpha! :partyguy: :Trophy: :Clap: :Clap: :Thumbs:

3rd place ain't bad at all! Thanks for the swift kick in the butt too! :Lecture: You have inspired me to submit more, write more! Way to go, Janet!

trumancoyote

My Name is Sweet Thing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janetismeantome.com
Woohoo!

You're so inspiring; this is wonderful news, Janet :)

I can't wait to hear how you did in your other contests.

And oh, because I'm probably not the only one (I hope): what's flash fiction? :tongue

JAlpha

Smilie Fanatic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Flash fiction is typically a short story written in under 1200 words, also called sudden fiction, short short etc.

In this particular contest that I entered, the entry was to be under 100 words. My piece was pure dialogue--very hard to pull off and still have a complete story i.e. beginning, middle and end? I actually have three versions of the same story---all under 1200 words. But, the under 100 word version I submitted to this contest is as brief as I can make it, without loosing the sense of story.

It was probably my "all" dialogue approach for this contest that earned some points with the judges. My longest version (also all dialogue) of the same story is out in another contest. I should hear something back on that entry by July.

trumancoyote

My Name is Sweet Thing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janetismeantome.com
Yeesh. That sounds impossibly difficult. But if anyone can use their words wisely, you with your haiku-prowess can.

Congrats again, Janet :)

Mr Underhill

Writer,Burglar,Adventurer
Registered
Reaction score
JAlpha said:
Flash fiction is typically a short story written in under 1200 words, also called sudden fiction, short short etc.
Good way to discipline yourself to make every word count, no?

Working to the 1500 word limit the past two weeks in the AI play-along-at-home game has been very good for my writing. Previously I would be struggling to keep SS describing pretty much one event stay inside 5000 or even have difficulty keeping it below 10,000. Once you discover that you can indeed tell a story in a fraction of that time and say everything that's really important, it can only be good for your skill at building scenes and chapters in a novel.

Janet, one misconception about flash fiction I had until recently was that it was all of the trick-fiction or surprise ending variety. While that may have been true in decades past, that seems to be only one corner today. Can you comment on that aspect of the genre?

alanna

Registered
Reaction score
CONGRATS! and you get three dancing bananas, a m 'n' m party, and a bunch of muppet-like creatures doing the wave! :banana: :banana: :banana: :PartySmil :TheWave:

great job! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.