Music when you write

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried playing music as you write? Do you find it distracting or inspiring? I actually write somewhat better with some music playing in the background (usually pop). I guess most people wouldn't like it but it seems to stimulate my brain.:tongue

scottVee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
scott.virtes.com
Hi. I usually have music playing. I've heard writers who say they try to match the music exactly to whatever scenes they're writing, but seems like overkill. Music in any form is powerful. It provides a disconnect from the boring real world, and that's enough.

Oh, another post appeared. Comically I can sing along without the least distractions. It's like it's happening in another dimension.

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
I get distracted too easily by music. I end up singing along instead of writing.

And then you subconsciously type in the words from the song, publish your book and end up getting sued by whoever wrote the song. :D

Ms Hollands

Cow lover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lefrancophoney.com
I need noise...maybe because I always did my homework with the background noise of family, TVs, cats, dogs rather than sit upstairs alone in my bedroom. I think I do my best writing when crap, boring TV at 3am is on!

During the day, music from my laptop does the trick, and means I can sit in the sun and write AND have the noise of music and cars and cows.

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
I have classical music in the background. I soon don't notice it's there so when I get up to start cooking in the afternoon I hear someone talking on the back veranda and get a shock until I realise it's the announcer.

Donkey

Registered
Reaction score
I listen to music all of the time. When I eat, read, sculpt, work out or write. '
The big difference is that when I write, I don't listen to anything with vocals. Strictly instrumental. Otherwise, it becomes a distraction, because I love to sing. Doesn't even matter if I don't know the words. lol
As Scott said, music is very powerful. It can influence your mood dramatically. Be careful what you listen to when you're doing something as important as writing the great American novel. ;)

nicolen

Registered
Reaction score
Second star to the right and straight on till morn
I can't have music on while I'm writing or I'll get distracted. But for some reason, I can have the TV on and it's not a problem, depending on which channel I have on - food or living TV is great, sport or movies will distract me.

Travis J. Smith

Witty User Title.
Registered
Reaction score
At first I actually listened to music while writing. Now, it's just background noise. To give you an idea of what I mean by that, I turned down the volume on my iPod as low as it can go when I was using my good earbuds and it was too loud and distracting.

Though, it depends on where I'm at mentally sometimes. From time to time I like having the music turned up a little more because the lyrics help spark my creativity from time to time.

Edit: However, when I am revising/rewriting, I want quiet. Not absolute silence, because that would drive me nuts. A constant noise, like the ceiling fan or air conditioner, suffices. This doesn't work so well when my dad's at the computer, outside the door and a couple feet away making every noise imaginable.

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
I can usually tune things out when I write (reading is another story). But that's just the point--why listen to music during writing if I'm not even going to be hearing it? To me it's like turning on a light and then leaving the room. The light is on, illuminating stuff, but it's not really serving any purpose other than using electricity. Plus, as someone else said, if it's a song I like then I'll want to listen to it instead of write.

This isn't to say I hate music--I adore it, and have mentioned how I envision certain scenes of mine to it in other threads around here--but during the writing PROCESS itself, it serves no purpose. *shrug*

niratisaya

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
For me music is like the air that I breath, so yeah, I need them when I want to write something. But got it set with the atmosphere that I need. Most of it instrumental tough... But sometimes I work with tv or just the sound of my crickets...

stuckupmyownera

Mostly lurking
Registered
Reaction score
I can't write with music on, although if I'm writing a screenplay I'll often pause to listen to a particular track, because I always soundtrack it in my head.

Having said that, my husband plays music ALL the time and I can't escape it, so I've had to learn to tune it out a bit. Silence is much better for my writing process though.

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
I make playlists that go with the mood, vibe, period, whatever that I'm writing.

I was working on something that was set in the 80s, so I hit the 80's channel on XM. I am currently working on a project that is linked to Beowulf, so it's the Lord of the Rings Soundtracks.

I find the noise is something I need (as said above) but the music helps set the mood and get me thinking in a set way.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
I do believe there's an entire subforum devoted to this topic, not to mention the many threads on this subject created in the past ;)

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I have classical music in the background. I soon don't notice it's there so when I get up to start cooking in the afternoon I hear someone talking on the back veranda and get a shock until I realise it's the announcer.
Classical is far too distracting. I have to listen to music I've heard a lot so that I don't focus on it. I guess I could listen to 1812, or Pictures at an Exhibition, or Bolera, those are about the only ones I've heard often enough not to find distracting.

I listen to Black Sabbath. I've heard every song of their's since I was in High School. I enjoy the music and when I'm concentrating on my story, the music fades into my subconscious. If I pause to think about the story, the song moves forward and I can enjoy it as a distraction. I'm kind of strange that way.

GLAZE_by_KyrstinMc

Registered
Reaction score
I find it inspiring!

I don't always listen to a song that "matches" the part I'm writing though. Once I was listening to a Swedish-bubblegum-pop song while writing about a man being mangled in an alley.

And it came out pretty good. :D

River

Registered
Reaction score
I always seem to write better when I listen to music. I don't know why, it just comes out more...creatively or something. The stuff I've written without listening to music never seems to be quite as good. And yeah, usually I try to listen to music that at least has a little to do with what I'm writing about at the time.

I just got Metro Station's new album and that really helps me write....for some reason.

Last edited:

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
I make playlists that go with the mood, vibe, period, whatever that I'm writing.

I'm currently in the process of doing this.

Music is great to create or enhance your mood and/or atmosphere. If I'm writing an angry scene, I listen to metal; angsty, emo or screamo; action or fast, rock or punk; love or slow, sappy or slow rock.

At times music can be distracting for me, at other times I can tune it out and just thrive off the mood or atmosphere of the music. It depends on how "into" my story I am. If I'm not inspired or don't know where the story is going, it's easy to just stop and listen to the music.

At the moment, I'm outlining a novel, and I'm adding songs to chapters that fit the mood.

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
Writing a story - classical (lyrics distract me)

Writing poetry - no music.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes I can listen to music while I write, sometimes it's too distracting. But I am creating a soundtrack of sorts that fits the story. Not exactly scene for scene but the mood.

As for the music itself, sometimes I need classical, sometimes it's Disturbed or most recently Abney Park or the soundtrack to the new BSG series.

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
I don't usually have music on, although in the evenings I have the TV on. If I do choose music it has to be exactly right to inspire me and that depends on lots of things!
Like TurkeyLurkey, I can only write poetry in silence. As I leave it right up to the deadline my magazine editor has set, I need to concentrate!! (My all time record is 20 minutes)

Varthikes

Dragon Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Draconia, Orion's Arm, Alpha Quadrant, Milky Way G
If I have a working CD player nearby with some CDs that I like, then I will always be listening to music as I write. I listen to New Age and various soundtracks.

I usually, but not always, try to choose a CD that is most appropriate for the scene I'm working on at the moment. If I'm writing an action sequence, I'll choose something with a quick beat. If I'm working on a character scene, I'll choose something a little calmer.

Kats

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently trying to learn to write (and edit) with music on because the flat next door is doing extremely loud renovations (walls being knocked down and such). I'm wearing headphones and listening to loud music to try to block out the noise...but I can't really write with it on this loud, I don't usually have music on at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.