View Full Version : Texas State Fair?

AnnieColleen
09-15-2008, 07:23 AM
Anyone going?

SoccerMom, anybody?

:)

Histry Nerd
09-15-2008, 07:59 AM
It's at Fair Park, in Dallas. We go most years--or at least, my wife takes the kids while I work. Probably won't go this year, though; the resources are pretty well tied up in the vacation we're starting next week.

Watch the traffic at the fair, Annie. I went to the museum a few weeks ago, and the roads on that side of the park were all under construction. Hopefully they'll have some of it cleaned up, but it didn't look like they were anywhere near finished. The good news is that's the side away from Fair parking, so it might not be so bad.

Have fun!
HN

SPMiller
09-15-2008, 02:43 PM
My uncle likes to go every year, and I like to hang out with my uncle, so I'll be going at least once. Probably multiple times.

Maryn
09-15-2008, 04:50 PM
When we lived in Texas, we went about every other year. It seemed to be among the last of the big state fairs that still had a freak show (in New York it's only "illusions" if you read the small lettering on the signs). We liked carrying on ordinary conversations with the so-called 'freaks,' who were usually bored out of their minds. I recall a lengthy conversation about Bobby and Pam (from TV's Dallas) with The Woman Without a Body.

Do they still have the freaks in Texas? [insert political joke here, if you must]

Maryn, who went to the NY fair this year

SPMiller
09-15-2008, 05:05 PM
I don't remember seeing a freak show in my lifetime.

I did some quick research and it appears the one Maryn was talking about last showed 24 years ago.

SherryTex
09-15-2008, 05:10 PM
Saw the freak shows ...remember the Texas State Fair...unsavory, loads of fun.

AnnieColleen
09-16-2008, 03:00 AM
Watch the traffic at the fair, Annie. I went to the museum a few weeks ago, and the roads on that side of the park were all under construction. Hopefully they'll have some of it cleaned up, but it didn't look like they were anywhere near finished. The good news is that's the side away from Fair parking, so it might not be so bad.

Thanks for the tip! I'm going with a group, so hopefully somebody else will be driving.

I've never been, so this will be a new experience. :)