Police question

Rabe

the living dead
Registered
Reaction score
There is an FBI Academy at Quantico that local officers can go to.

Two of our former detectives went to it and got pieces of the 'yellow brick road' - which is part of the final tests. so yeah, it's possible.

Rabe...

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Here's the website for the FBI's National Academy (which, as Rabe said, trains local law enforcement officers).

The FBI also offers Field Police Training seminars through their field offices.

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
In large cities chicago, New york, etc. There is a certain animosity between the 2 organizations, so it's unlikely for a seasoned Chicago detective to ask for or participate in something from the FBI unless ordered directly.

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
to be fair, the fbi looks upon locals as 2nd rate who just get in the way of the fbi doing their thing as well, I drink at a local irish pub on the south side of chicago where the coppers hang, (the stories they tell, oh boy!) None are fond of the fbi....

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
Not only detectives, but police supervisors and administrators can be selected to go to the FBI Academy. The courses you take there are college level and you receive college credits for completing them. Many small cities and towns take advantage of the training offered through the FBI, even though there remains some friction between jurisdictions.

In our small city, we cooperated with the FBI & DEA because they had hugh budgets and could through manpower and money at problems, that we just didn't have.
Yes, they could be a PITA but they were a necessary evil.:e2seesaw:

Branwyn

Print release:Sept.1,'09
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I just wanted to double check since I'm sending my character for some training at Quantico, he's from the NY area.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
In large cities chicago, New york, etc. There is a certain animosity between the 2 organizations, so it's unlikely for a seasoned Chicago detective to ask for or participate in something from the FBI unless ordered directly.
Don Allen said:
to be fair, the fbi looks upon locals as 2nd rate who just get in the way of the fbi doing their thing as well, I drink at a local irish pub on the south side of chicago where the coppers hang, (the stories they tell, oh boy!) None are fond of the fbi....
True, there is some mutual distrust and animosity. From a local cop's viewpoint I could tell you stories. Part of that stems from the FBI having considerably less experience in actual street crime enforcement and tactics -- they may have studied the book, but they don't do much of it.

However, a chance to go to Quantico is never going to be turned down -- for one thing, they actually do have some impressive and informative training courses, and for another, it is a definite plus to have on your record in terms of career advancement.

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
There are other law-enforcement organizations in the US that offer training...because we have this amazing patchwork of city, county, state and federal law enforcement.

In my neck of the woods, the Los Angeles County Sheriffs offer training to smaller city forces by contract; and there's an ongoing rivalry between the Sheriffs and the Los Angeles Police, who are the cops for the City of Los Angeles, as opposed to LA County.

Rabe

the living dead
Registered
Reaction score
Not all agencies, large or small, have animosity with the FBI.

My agency has worked with our local FBI agents very well and have a very good relationship with them. Still do with the new agents.

But then again, maybe we have a more enlightened philosophy in that we're all part of the same team - just play different positions.

Heck, we even get along extremely well with our local tribal police. Now. Because their administration is finally halfway intelligent.

Rabe...