• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Aside from writing more, what single thing has most improved your writing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustJess

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe it was submitting work for critiques, doing more prep work (research, outlines, etc...), working through revisions, reading more, taking writing classes/attending workshops-you get the idea.

So what has been most instrumental in making you a better writer?

GLAZE_by_KyrstinMc

Registered
Reaction score
Reading from plenty of good authors. (Only allow yourself to build off the best!)

And this website, no doubt.

Last edited:

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another vote for AW. There be wisdom in these pages.

MsK

Registered
Reaction score
Joining AW. I make a point of reading through the Grammer for Grasshoppers, Basic Writing Question and Writing Novels (especially the Learn Writing with Uncle Jim posts) threads each day.

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
This may sound tooooo obvious, but one thing is getting older, and the second is really trying to feel empathy for others, that ol' saying I thought I had it bad cause I didn't have shoes until I met a guy with no feet. You really got to feel it to be able to translate it to words, i sometimes think that we as writers are truly the greatest actors ever because we don't interpret others words, we interpret others thoughts, a bit more difficult, IMO

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Anything that improves creativity such as art class, topics in writing classes, or flash fiction exercises.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
AW. Everything I know about publishing (like how to write query letters, format the MS, even how long a novel should be) I learned here. I also learned most of what I know about basic grammar here (I wasn't paying attention in elementary school, apparently).

I also learned a lot by going back and re-reading some of my favorite novels with an eye to what exactly made them so perfect.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Joining AW. I make a point of reading through the Grammer for Grasshoppers, Basic Writing Question and Writing Novels (especially the Learn Writing with Uncle Jim posts) threads each day.

I have a folder of the Jim threads printed out. A great tool.

dawinsor

Dorothy A. Winsor
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Feedback from perceptive, tough beta readers whom I trusted, one in particular with whom I've exchanging critiques for years.

I agree with Glaze that reading the best stuff has given me a better ear.

Ugawa

It's a catastrophic success!
Registered
Reaction score
AW helped me the most. Before i was on this forum i didn't have anyone to ask about anything. So i was just blankly muddling around.

Also Beta's have helped me alot. :D. Which is also because of this site :D

XX

Dale Emery

is way off topic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dalehartleyemery.com
For clarity and style, Joseph M. Williams's book Style gave me a ton of guidance and confidence. It helped me to attend to readers' expectations, and to evaluate my style choices (word selection, word order, paragraph structure) from that perspective.

For how to write a good scene, I learned most from Dwight V. Swain's Techniques of the Selling Writer. Swain's methods are (as he admits) heavily formulaic, but you can easily apply his ideas in a more organic way.

And most of all my local Sacramento writers' group WordForge. Almost all are very good writers, and a growing number are better than very good. They give me encouragement, on-target feedback, and friendship.

Dale

Mad Queen

California Mountain Snake
Registered
Reaction score
Reading fiction and non-fiction on writing.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
Aside from AW and reading--writing workshops. I've had some great teachers.

windupbird

Registered
Reaction score
Two things for me: blogging and script reading. Although blogging doesn't quite fulfill the "aside from writing more" part of the question, it's helped me sharpen a different type of skill, which is self-editing. Blogging started as just another side hobby, but aside from actually working on my WIP's, it's become one of the most effective ways I've improved my overall writing. As for script reading, I do it as a side job and it's made me really quick to pick up on story flaws, character development issues, etc. Which is kind of great, since one exercise helps with the storytelling element of writing, and the other the mechanics.

Branwyn

Print release:Sept.1,'09
Registered
Reaction score
The great folks here at AW without a doubt. And reading, reading, reading. And editing with a pro.

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
Beta reading and helping other writers. Great way to see writing from other writers' point of style.

Fillanzea

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this seems prosetylizing, or gloopy and new-age, but: mindfulness meditation.

A wise person once told me that getting one's ego out of the way is crucial, because there may be a part of you saying, "I can't write about THIS because then people won't like me," or "If I write about THIS people will realize I'm a bad person," or "If people don't instantly recognize my awesomeness I will be a failure," or "I need to express myself so that people will understand me and realize I'm a good person," or "If I just pretend not to care, then it won't hurt if people don't like me."

It is impossible to write well while scrambling to cover up your personal flaws and whitewash your own self.

I'm hella bad at coping with my ego. I'll take anything that helps me keep it tamed.

Status
Not open for further replies.