PDA

View Full Version : Why does facebook love clutter?

Bravo
09-14-2008, 08:54 PM
this new layout is a mess.

SPMiller
09-15-2008, 02:57 AM
The site wasn't ugly enough to compete with Myspace.

triceretops
09-15-2008, 03:08 AM
I can't even navigate through that mess. Everything seems to be junk.
I have something like 387 unanswered messages, flirts, smiles, proposals, gifts, queries, comments, requests, and all other manner of flotsam. Guh.

Anyone who wants to read my books? Not a one 'em.

Tri

Matera the Mad
09-15-2008, 03:35 AM
It is designed for shallow dead-brains by idiots with no sense. What can one expect.

Remind me to blow up my profile -- if I ever bother to log in again.

Mandy-Jane
09-15-2008, 04:46 AM
I hate it too. It's messy and some pages take forever to load. I'm seriously thinking about quitting it. Wasting time on Facebook's no fun anymore.

Bravo
09-15-2008, 04:53 AM
i feel like suing them.

for someone like me, navigating that layout is torture.

Dara
09-15-2008, 05:53 AM
I have an account and I plan on keeping it, but I'll admit the continual string of unwanted info and old news drives me crazy. Does Facebook really think I want to know every time one of friends takes a quiz or comments on a picture? I'd switch over to Myspace, but all my friends are Facebookers.

SPMiller
09-15-2008, 07:06 AM
I used it exactly as Turkey said, before she deleted her post.

Still, the layout is horrendous. I'm sure they were thinking modularization, but the implementation leaves a lot to be desired.

scottVee
09-15-2008, 09:14 AM
The mess seems the inevitable result of giving heaps of tools (created by anybody) to "normal" folks with no clue. Funny. There's that thing about monkeys with typewriters eventually creating passages from Shakespeare ... but give humans a zillion tools and they create drool.

Shadow_Ferret
09-15-2008, 06:10 PM
This is great news. I've been meaning to check out facebook because everyone seemed to be migrating over there, but now I don't have to bother.

ChaosTitan
09-15-2008, 06:21 PM
I use Facebook. It was a little confusing when I first signed up, but most of those add-ons are optional. If you don't want them, don't use them. I have no trouble navigating things.

jannawrites
09-15-2008, 07:32 PM
I'd become comfortable navigating Facebook, too, though I have to tweak things now with the new layout. I'm still happy with the connection it provides, but I'm less and less interested in all the add-ons. And there's a new profile box to "enter something about yourself." How is this different from the status bar? And who wants to read so many snippets about me, anyhow? Pfft.

:)

Ol' Fashioned Girl
09-19-2008, 01:41 AM
Bravo... you're not alone. (http://www.news.com.au/technology/story/0,25642,24365075-5014239,00.html)

Cassiopeia
09-19-2008, 01:43 AM
I was adverse to the new changes but now, I like it. I've got more important things to upset me than facebook. ;)

Eskimo1990
09-19-2008, 02:06 AM
I like the new facebook, it's a lot easier to find things.
I don't know why people don't like it....

selkn.asrai
09-22-2008, 11:35 PM
I don't like it either (but at the same time, it sort of disturbs me that millions of people act like the most devastating thing in the modern world is a change to Facebook--all of these desperate petitions and angry letters). But yeah, I thought the apps were bad enough. And they say this new layout's faster, but I've found it slower than death by pinprick.

katiemac
09-22-2008, 11:42 PM
I personally like a clean profile, so I like that they've segregated people's "boxes" into an optional tab. It doesn't make things look like such a mess.

However, I'm kind of ticked the advertisements are more prominent than they were--the clutter I felt with add-on boxes are now ad space. Plus, the "homepage" looks absolutely awful since the text isn't justified. I wish they'd swap the menu box with the status update feed. (I suspect it probably looks worse to me, on a widescreen, than other computers.)

Still ... I heard there's way to get the old layout back. You have to hunt down one of the groups against the new layout and there's some technical tricks you can do.

maestrowork
09-22-2008, 11:47 PM
I like the features, but I don't like the clutter. It's so much harder to find things. I mean, yeah, how do you post a picture again? It was so much easier before. Right now, there are just too much going on -- it's as if they wanted to please everyone by including every single feature. I do like the stuff such as commenting on friends' statuses, pictures, etc. -- those make staying in touch with your friends more easily.

bsolah
09-23-2008, 03:20 AM
Sorry, don't see what the big deal is. I like the new layout.

People should stop whinging and just get used to it. My friend's Facebook status sums it up.

Chris wonders if people who hate the new Facebook also said "Telephones small enough to fit in my pocket? I think I'll stick to morse code, thank you very much,"

Bravo
09-23-2008, 03:34 AM
that doesnt even make sense. why would you try to compare something that streamlines a design with something that is more bloated?

and i wonder why you're talking in the third person.

bsolah
09-23-2008, 03:40 AM
It's even bloated. I can find everything I want easily.

I wasn't talking in third person. I was quoting my friend's facebook status.

maestrowork
09-23-2008, 04:04 AM
Yeah, but why should you do all that work just to find the frigging "post a picture" button? Sure, you can find that can of tuna at the supermarket, too, but do you want the store to be well organized or cluttered so it takes you 65 minutes to find that damn fish?

I think the problem with Facebook is that it's growing too fast, and too many people want too many features, and they're going through growing pains, and they had NO idea how to fit all that crap on to a few screens. So some interface geniuses (without actually studying human interface design) came up with all that illogical clutter. I bet they came from Microsoft.

bsolah
09-23-2008, 04:05 AM
Posting a picture is as easy as posting it before. You click the same amount of buttons. They're just different buttons now.

Sure, it'll take getting used to, but it's not harder or more cluttered.

Bravo
09-23-2008, 04:09 AM
there's a lot more wasted space, there's a lot more cramped up text, and there's a lot more buttons to press to do simple tasks.

you have no idea how much i simply hate inefficiency.

just take a look at my posts, i am all about minimalism.

but yes, i do like that you can add comments to people's status messages.

so there's one in the plus column, and 1,056 in the negative column.

JLCwrites
09-23-2008, 04:16 AM
I prefer the old Facebook, but the new one isn't confusing either. I don't do all the games and applications, I don't upload picture albums either. I hate clutter and having lots of 'stuff'. It doesn't look bad when you take all the junk away and just keep the wall, and the 'friends' section. I also have my privacy settings set so people can't send application stuff to me. My page is clean and simple.

selkn.asrai
09-23-2008, 05:44 AM
Turkey Lurkey, how'd you prevent people from sending apps your way? When I messaged Facebook staff asking them to create such an option, they pretty much spat in my proverbial face and circumvented my question.

JLCwrites
09-23-2008, 06:35 AM
Go to home page... click on privacy settings (Located under settings) Click on applications. Click on the settings tab. Then click on 'Do not share any information about me on the Facebook API.' Also, click on 'Don't allow Beacon websites to post stories to my profile.'

You will need to disable any applications you currently have and you will now be invisible to anyone who is not your friend, so you won't be contacted by potential friends. It deletes the 'networking' aspect of Facebook, but I use it primarily as a way to chat with family and friends, so I don't mind.

Hope this helps!

RLB
09-23-2008, 07:46 AM
After avoiding social networking sites for years, I finally comandeered my husband's Facebook account. He never checked it and we kept getting all these friend requests in our joint inbox. I logged on and posted how he never checked it so don't get your feelings hurt if he ignores your friend requests blah blah blah. Well, that just made everything worse...

Long story short, I now have a Facebook quite by accident. I don't know the old Facebook, wasn't around for it, but some people's pages on this one give me headaches. I don't care about your flair!!

selkn.asrai
09-23-2008, 06:24 PM
Thanks, Turkey! :)

I'm going to do that--I've never had apps and really dislike them (I think Facebook would be much faster if they hadn't introduced them in the first place), and I've gotten so many immature/offensive app requests that I tire of cleaning out my inbox just to have more when I log back on at the end of the day.

Much appreciated; thanks again!