PDA

View Full Version : Why aren't hot dog buns cut evenly down the middle?

Gehanna
09-14-2008, 05:01 AM
Is it too much to ask or what? If there is some point to a hot dog bun being thicker on one side than the other then, I'd really like to know.

Seems to me that the logical thing to do would be to cut the bun evenly down the middle but, not as deep. The extra thickness at the bottom would help prevent the bun from tearing in two when you stick your wiener in it.

Sincerely,
Gehanna

JLCwrites
09-14-2008, 05:04 AM
The extra thickness at the bottom would help prevent the bun from tearing in two when you stick your wiener in it.

:Ssh:

GLAZE_by_KyrstinMc
09-14-2008, 05:10 AM

:tongue

Anyway...

I totally understand your problems with the tainted hot dog bun. I've gotten one with a "half" so thin it was transparent!!

I say. We complain. To the top.

benbradley
09-14-2008, 05:19 AM
Those poor virgin buns...

Gehanna
09-14-2008, 05:20 AM
I wouldn't mind cutting my own bun if I had to but, I simply can't grasp the uneven cut.

Sincerely,
Gehanna

GLAZE_by_KyrstinMc
09-14-2008, 05:29 AM
Those poor virgin buns...

Indeed.

czjaba
09-14-2008, 05:35 AM
Maybe it's the whole conspiracy thing and just something extra to drive us nuts.

benbradley
09-14-2008, 06:21 AM
We need a poll: To where should this thread be moved? The choices are "Now We're Cookin'" and "Erotica."

Now, speaking for the few of us still eating low carb, the uneven cut of the hot dog bun is a god thing.
(spelling Krystal's, bolding mine) Third option is one of the religion subforums.

We like out sandwiches with half of the bread anyway and if we can get a transluscent piece of hot dog bun to wrap around our meat, we have made out ...
Okay, and that looks like a vote for...

Gehanna
09-14-2008, 06:25 AM
I just had a theory. Maybe the thicker side is the side you're supposed to put your stuff on. Stuff like mustard, relish, chili, and etc. Even IF this theory were to be accurate it would be inappropriate considering those of us who prefer to stick our stuff on both sides of the bun.

For those of you who are perverted, my preference for putting my stuff on both sides of the bun has nothing to do with my sexuality. :tongue

Sincerely,
Gehanna

Beach Bunny
09-14-2008, 07:23 AM
:ROFL:

Salem
09-14-2008, 07:29 AM
I just had a theory. Maybe the thicker side is the side you're supposed to put your stuff on. Stuff like mustard, relish, chili, and etc. Even IF this theory were to be accurate it would be inappropriate considering those of us who prefer to stick our stuff on both sides of the bun.

For those of you who are perverted, my preference for putting my stuff on both sides of the bun has nothing to do with my sexuality. :tongue

Sincerely,
Gehanna

Personally, I like to rub sauce on both sides of the bun.

kct webber
09-14-2008, 10:36 AM
It's the crooked knives that the bun companies use. Cheap bastids.

Unique
09-14-2008, 04:21 PM
They do it to piss you off.

I thought you knew that.

brokenfingers
09-14-2008, 06:40 PM
It's just another sign of The Man trying to keep you down.

robeiae
09-14-2008, 06:51 PM
You da man, BF!

On a side note, my buns do seem to be evenly split, though one has a ginormous pimple on it...

Seaclusion
09-14-2008, 07:01 PM
It's a complicated algorithm they use to determine the uneveness of the cut. They tell me it's too complicated for the ordinary hot dog bun eater to fathom and so we are just supposed to accept it that they know best for us and some things they do for our benefit we will never know about.... Oh wait a minute, we're not talking about the government. Sorry, wrong thread.

Richard

WendyNYC
09-14-2008, 07:29 PM
Some brands are cut down the middle, but they are hader to find. People use them for lobster rolls crab salad sandwiches.

robeiae
09-14-2008, 10:19 PM
People use them for lobster rolls crab salad sandwiches.
"People" do that, huh?

Sure......

;)

MsK
09-14-2008, 10:22 PM
Some brands are cut down the middle, but they are hader to find. People use them for lobster rolls crab salad sandwiches.

OMG. Lobster Rolls are the best! That's my favorite part of visiting New England.

regdog
09-14-2008, 10:32 PM
Since we're on a bun rant why are there less buns then hot dogs? You get ten hot dogs but eight buns? I think it is a whole government bun conspiracy. Damn them!!!! Damn them all!!!!

Oh wait I don't even like hot dogs never mind

Don
09-14-2008, 10:48 PM
I prefer unsliced buns. Slice 'em yourself and you get just what you want. :)

Ageless Stranger
09-14-2008, 10:54 PM
Since we're on a bun rant why are there less buns then hot dogs? You get ten hot dogs but eight buns? I think it is a whole government bun conspiracy. Damn them!!!! Damn them all!!!!

Oh wait I don't even like hot dogs never mind

In case you drop a hotdog? But then, what kind of insufferable fool drops a hotdog?

SPMiller
09-15-2008, 03:07 AM
Is it too much to ask or what? If there is some point to a hot dog bun being thicker on one side than the other then, I'd really like to know.

Seems to me that the logical thing to do would be to cut the bun evenly down the middle but, not as deep. The extra thickness at the bottom would help prevent the bun from tearing in two when you stick your wiener in it.

Sincerely,
Gehannaur not doin it rite

JoeEkaitis
09-15-2008, 09:38 AM
Challenging foods build character.

Stlight
09-15-2008, 12:09 PM
It's so you can give your dogs some of the hot dogs, or you can give them to whoever in the family won't touch bread this week. I know about the dogs, only heard about not eating bread.)

Stlight

Shadow_Ferret
09-15-2008, 06:06 PM
They ARE cut in the middle. Or where the middle would be if the bun was actually completely tubular shape. But it isn't, it has a flat side and then a rounded side and the cut is made exactly where the center of the bun would be if both sides were the same shape.

JamieFord
09-15-2008, 07:14 PM
Best thread of the day!

Gehanna
09-18-2008, 07:33 AM
Am I being paranoid? Let's look at the facts:

I initiated this thread on 9/13.
This thread makes light of hot dog buns.
On 9/14 a nasty storm came up and my electricity went out.
My electricity did not come back on until this afternoon.
I have two packages of hot dog buns.
All my wieners are spoiled.
The forums are now evenly down the middle.LOL,
Gehanna

Pagey's_Girl
09-18-2008, 04:40 PM
Plus, there's also the bigger question of what exactly the difference is between a hot dog, a weiner and a frankfurter.

Shadow_Ferret
09-18-2008, 05:37 PM
Plus, there's also the bigger question of what exactly the difference is between a hot dog, a weiner and a frankfurter.Coloquial dialect.

maestrowork
09-18-2008, 05:59 PM
the real question is: mustard, ketchup, or mayo?

Yeshanu
09-18-2008, 06:56 PM
I like mine plain, thanks.

Shadow_Ferret
09-18-2008, 06:57 PM
You forgot saurkraut.

Pagey's_Girl
09-18-2008, 07:06 PM
Mustard, a little sauerkraut and a big old side of chili cheese fries.

*Gurgle-urgle-urgle*

*Smacks stomach with handful of papers. Shut up. Lunchtime will be here when it gets here.

Grrarrgh
09-18-2008, 07:34 PM
Mustard. Always, mustard. Preferably the spicy brown stuff. If I liked hot dogs. Which I don't.

Shadow_Ferret
09-18-2008, 07:58 PM
If I liked hot dogs. Which I don't.
Blasphemer! Heretic!

Man, I wish we still had DerWeinerschnitzels. Those were like fast food heaven. *sighs*