Baby Food Makers?

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone here make their own baby food? What do you like about doing it? What do you dislike? Do you use organic? Why did you start?

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
When the kids were babies I made about 95% of their food. I liked it because I could control what went in it. I'd send one-cup containers to day care on Monday, and they'd last 3-4 days. Simple things: Peaches with a little sugar and water, peas with a little water, that kind of thing. I used a plain old blender, nothing fancy. I did use the Gerber food in the glass jars to travel with, because they lasted longer, but not too often.

When they were old enough to tolerate older-type food, I'd put mashed potatoes and meat in the blender and feed the mixture to them.That was an iffy proposition, so I always had the plain stuff as a backup.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
ALWAYS.

Because it was safer, more nutritious, and cheaper. Natch I am a whole food health food greenie, but it was worth it. My children have great teeth, never had a sniffle, or any serious illness.

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
"Happy Baby" baby food grinder. http://www.happybabyproducts.com/kidcofoodmill.html

(or any small-scale food mill)

Both my sisters used it. Neither of them was a foodist, it was purely for convenience - you could drop a small amount of the night's dinner into it and have baby-textured food a couple of twists of the handle later. No waste, no fuss, and one heck of a lot cheaper than buying the commercial stuff.

Skyraven

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
I made my son's food to feel closer to him. I had to work outside of the home and so I made his food for the babysitter. I made carrots, green beans, pumpkin, potatoes. I used a blender and sieve to get any big pieces I might have missed. I saved lots of money, but by the time he was a year old, he started eating mashed up portions of what I ate. :)

chevbrock

Registered
Reaction score
I tried the whole thing with blending up veggies and meat and freezing them in ice cube trays. I had a baby nose turned up enough times to give up on that idea really quickly. Both of my kids were always far more interested in what was on my plate.

My theory is that babies have the best sense of taste they will ever have in their lives, and therefore their sense of smell must be pretty good, too. We spend an hour or so preparing and cooking dinner, and they can smell all of this going on. Then we offer them some bland mash which is nothing like what they were expecting.

My second baby wanted to chew pretty much from five months, so she got vegies mashed with a fork on the side of my plate, and tiny, tiny pieces of meat.

I always had a jar of something, in case what we were eating was off-limits (junk food, too spicy, too salty, etc) but mostly my kids ate what we ate.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
I made baby food.

The jarred stuff is expensive and the few times I tried feeding it to him The Boy just smeared iteverywhere; too watery. So I made food for him with texture. And I made what we ate, just chopped up in the food processor. I froze the leftovers in ice cube trays for lunches and for when we were having dinners he didn't like (curry, tacos, cream of mushroom soup).

I agree with chevbrok that kids will eat a lot more than we give them credit for, and saw no reason for The Boy to have strained squash if we were eating salmon and asparagus.

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
We spend an hour or so preparing and cooking dinner, and they can smell all of this going on. Then we offer them some bland mash which is nothing like what they were expecting.

No wonder they become picky eaters ... they are expecting "saumon aux asparagus en beurre"and you shove a spoonful of bland "ToddlerTime Tidbits" under their noses.