Coming up - my first experience of a writer's group

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
Next Wednesday, I am going to my first writer's group. The organiser told me that they have a total of six members (yes - six - count 'em!) so I expect to be welcomed ;). This group is some distance away, I finally got hold of the contact for the group in my town but as yet, they have no date set for their Sept/Oct meeting. In the meantime, she is going to have a look at my book in the library so I'd better remind myself of the contents before I go! :D
I'm not sure what to expect, living in Goldsmith country I should find it awesome...
I'll report back next week...

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
Well this is Ireland, rural Ireland at that which is several light years away from Dublin, so eccentricity is a given. I'm hoping to sit quietly in the corner and listen.

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe I should have phrased that differently as some of them post here

I MEANT IT IN A GOOD WAY K? I LIKE ECCENTRICS!!!!!!!:D

Jeez the lack of beer is beginning to tell.

Nah, they'll just assume you're one of those (lovely) eccentrics! ;)

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A good critique group can be terrific, a bad one toxic. Your plan to be perfectly pleasant but mostly observe is a sound one.

Hey, since you're willing to travel, why not join ours? Western New York isn't all that much farther...

Maryn, co-founder of a group in its 16th year

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, since you're willing to travel, why not join ours? Western New York isn't all that much farther...

Maryn, co-founder of a group in its 16th year

:roll:
Joking apart, I've never visited the States but have a yearning to do so. One day...

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
Well - tonight was the night!:hooray:
I've come home over stimulated and bouncing off the walls. :snoopy:It was GREAT! There were ten of us, some others new like myself, and I was invited to read a piece from my book (the woman running the Group had been on my website and luckily I had brought a copy along). VERY nerve wracking, especially as the ones who went before me were awesome as I expected and I felt very much the amateur!!
Anyway, I survived the reading and they were extremely nice to me :Hug2:so I'll definitely be going back. There is an American author of 11 published SF/Fantasy books so I am hoping to pick up some good advice!
I recommended this site so we might see a few more members from Ireland joining up soon.;)

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
That sounds wonderful. :) I wish there was a writing group like that in my area (Ireland would be a bit of a swim for me :D ).

*Maybe there is a writing group in my area. I wonder how you find out such things?

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
I found mine - in fact all of them for the County - on the Library website.

Status
Not open for further replies.