PDA

View Full Version : Coming up - my first experience of a writer's group

Deccydiva
09-13-2008, 12:12 AM
Next Wednesday, I am going to my first writer's group. The organiser told me that they have a total of six members (yes - six - count 'em!) so I expect to be welcomed ;). This group is some distance away, I finally got hold of the contact for the group in my town but as yet, they have no date set for their Sept/Oct meeting. In the meantime, she is going to have a look at my book in the library so I'd better remind myself of the contents before I go! :D
I'm not sure what to expect, living in Goldsmith country I should find it awesome...
I'll report back next week...

Mr Flibble
09-13-2008, 12:24 AM
ooh good luck!

I'm going to my second meeting with a new group tomorrow. And they all seem like nice, eccentric people :)

Deccydiva
09-13-2008, 12:32 AM
Well this is Ireland, rural Ireland at that which is several light years away from Dublin, so eccentricity is a given. I'm hoping to sit quietly in the corner and listen.

Mr Flibble
09-13-2008, 12:38 AM
Maybe I should have phrased that differently as some of them post here

I MEANT IT IN A GOOD WAY K? I LIKE ECCENTRICS!!!!!!!:D

Jeez the lack of beer is beginning to tell.

Deccydiva
09-13-2008, 01:33 AM
Maybe I should have phrased that differently as some of them post here

I MEANT IT IN A GOOD WAY K? I LIKE ECCENTRICS!!!!!!!:D

Jeez the lack of beer is beginning to tell.

Nah, they'll just assume you're one of those (lovely) eccentrics! ;)

Maryn
09-13-2008, 01:50 AM
A good critique group can be terrific, a bad one toxic. Your plan to be perfectly pleasant but mostly observe is a sound one.

Hey, since you're willing to travel, why not join ours? Western New York isn't all that much farther...

Maryn, co-founder of a group in its 16th year

Deccydiva
09-13-2008, 02:28 AM
Hey, since you're willing to travel, why not join ours? Western New York isn't all that much farther...

Maryn, co-founder of a group in its 16th year

:roll:
Joking apart, I've never visited the States but have a yearning to do so. One day...

Deccydiva
09-18-2008, 02:34 AM
Well - tonight was the night!:hooray:
I've come home over stimulated and bouncing off the walls. :snoopy:It was GREAT! There were ten of us, some others new like myself, and I was invited to read a piece from my book (the woman running the Group had been on my website and luckily I had brought a copy along). VERY nerve wracking, especially as the ones who went before me were awesome as I expected and I felt very much the amateur!!
Anyway, I survived the reading and they were extremely nice to me :Hug2:so I'll definitely be going back. There is an American author of 11 published SF/Fantasy books so I am hoping to pick up some good advice!
I recommended this site so we might see a few more members from Ireland joining up soon.;)

Chasing the Horizon
09-18-2008, 09:18 AM
That sounds wonderful. :) I wish there was a writing group like that in my area (Ireland would be a bit of a swim for me :D ).

*Maybe there is a writing group in my area. I wonder how you find out such things?

Deccydiva
09-18-2008, 12:59 PM
I found mine - in fact all of them for the County - on the Library website.