PDA

View Full Version : anyone have problems with apple cider vinegar?

Mela
09-12-2008, 05:45 PM
I recently had to give up Annie's Goddess dressing and if you know anything about this dressing, you know what kind of hellish withdrawal I'm going through - it is THE BEST-TASTING dressing I've ever had. But too much fat and 130 calories for 2 tablespoons.

So I started back with vinegar and oil and decided to go with apple cider vinegar. That was maybe 3 weeks ago. Within the last week I've had 2 bad reactions that I can only attribute to the vinegar: itching, as in hives, and just an overall uncomfortable feeling, that my body was definitely reacting to something. Both times it took nearly 24 hours to get it out of my system and to feel better. I'm bumbed by this because I hear ACV is really good for you on a number of levels.

Maybe it's the fermentation process? I've heard also there's mold in the vinegar? Anyone know anything about it?
I guess I'm back to balsamic!

L M Ashton
09-14-2008, 03:22 PM
I don't know about apple cider vinegar, but in the past, I've had reactions like that to certain types of apples. Delicious, Granny Smith, and one other I don't remember anymore. I never did track down whether it was the apple itself or perhaps pesticides or the wax on the fruit.

Kitrianna
09-19-2008, 11:23 PM
You could always try malt vinegar instead of the apple cider. It has a similar flavor, but a bit more depth. I know that it is divine on french fries although I must admit that I have yet to try it in a dressing. The marinades that i have used it in turned out well. :)

icerose
10-08-2008, 08:14 PM
I recently had to give up Annie's Goddess dressing and if you know anything about this dressing, you know what kind of hellish withdrawal I'm going through - it is THE BEST-TASTING dressing I've ever had. But too much fat and 130 calories for 2 tablespoons.

Rather than give up your favorite dressing, try the fork dip method. You have your dressing separate, probably only 1T in a deep small little bowl.

You dip your fork in it and then you pick up the salad. The dressing is on the fork rather than the food and so you get a good taste of it with each and every bite while getting at least half the dressing you'd normally have.

It's a great compromise that works for me.

As for the reaction, my oldest sister has a problem with apples and cannot tolerate apple cider vinegar because of it.