PDA

View Full Version : Who Made A Difference In Your Life?

AmusingMuse
09-12-2008, 05:08 PM
We have all had someone who's inspired, changed/affected or shaped our lives into being what it is, either for the good or bad.

Or, we've had someone who has inspired us to write.

So who have you all had in your lives that has held such a huge influence or impact on who you are now?

Alpha Echo
09-12-2008, 05:14 PM
My Advanced Placement Lit teacher my senior year of high school. Mrs. Marco. She was amazing. Very intelligent, patient yet very firm. She helped me with my writing immensly, and she helped me to appreciate literature on a deeper level than I had up until that point.

stormie
09-12-2008, 05:37 PM
My oldest sister. She was emotionally strong. She was a great listener. She was loving and empathetic. I only hope I can be half of what she was. Through her actions, she taught me a lot.

Shadow_Ferret
09-12-2008, 05:53 PM
Hmm. Um. Well.

Nope.

Nothing's coming.

Bayou Bill
09-12-2008, 06:00 PM
We have all had someone who's inspired, changed/affected or shaped our lives into being what it is, either for the good or bad.

Or, we've had someone who has inspired us to write.

So who have you all had in your lives that has held such a huge influence or impact on who you are now?
With the exception of my wife and certain other family members, the main one would be, William F. Buckley, Jr..

Bayou Bill :cool:

WendyNYC
09-12-2008, 06:06 PM
Aside from my parents, who think I'm so brilliant I can do ANYTHING (I'm an only child, can you tell?), I'd have to say my H.S. English teacher Mr. Overeem. He was one of the first people who believed in my writing based on merit alone. I also liked my journalism teacher, but Mr. Overeem made me feel like I could one day be a real writer.

Shadow_Ferret
09-12-2008, 06:12 PM
I'd have to say my H.S. English teacher Mr. Overeem.
Well, I figured parents went without saying.

And I would have said my High School English teacher, Mrs. Jones, who really had a big influence on my young writing career, except I met her a few years after High School and she had the nerve to ask me, "Did you really write all those stories?"

Being accused of plagiarism sort of crushed any feelings I had for her.

qwerty
09-12-2008, 06:38 PM
Being accused of plagiarism sort of crushed any feelings I had for her.

Aged thirteen, I put in what I thought was a cracking essay. It came back, not with the A grade I'd expected, but with a teacher's red-penned demand: SEE ME. The teacher wanted to know where I had copied my words from. When I managed to convince her I'd written them myself, she wrote "double A" across my essay and told me I had a future as a writer.

Why oh why did I leave it till I was fifty before even attempting to be a writer!

Yeshanu
09-12-2008, 06:48 PM
In my teen years, I had a lot of trouble getting along with my Dad. It got so bad that I thought about running away. I talked to the guidance teacher, and she asked me, "How much money do you have in your bank account?"

"$1000," I said.

"That won't get you very far, will it?"

That was all. I toughed it out, and although it took some time, my relationship with my father couldn't be better.

I see some of my daughter's friends struggling, because they didn't have the guidance I did, and it makes me sad. They haven't completed high school, they won't go to university despite being very bright. They shack up with guys who are quite simply bad for them. :( Guidance teachers in middle and high schools are so important...

James81
09-12-2008, 06:56 PM
On first thought:

My childhood Sunday School teacher, Kenny. He truly knew what being a christian was all about.

My best friend in high school, Nathan. He brought me out of a low point in my life.

Amanda did something similar (an old gf).

My ex-wife.

My first gf outside of my marriage. (<---inspired me and changed me in all kinds of ways)

My 11th grade English teacher, to whom I give ALL the credit for teaching me how to write.

maestrowork
09-12-2008, 07:26 PM
A few teachers. The one made a HUGE difference and completely reshaped my world views and relationship with others when I was 8. Basically, what you see in me now is a direct result of her kindness and everything else.

My parents. Their sacrifices humbled me.

The woman I fell in love with in college. I'm still in love with her.

stuckupmyownera
09-12-2008, 07:40 PM
My drama teacher in school. I'd be a totally different person if it wasn't for her. She really knew how to involve everyone and get the best out of them. She was amazing - creative, talented, strong and charismatic - and she really brought me out of my shell and taught me so much.

JLCwrites
09-12-2008, 07:45 PM
The obvious...
My parents, my hubby, my kids.
(My Father gave me the best advice when I was confused about my major in college... he said "go with your talent." So I majored in English and I LOVED it!)

Teachers...
8th grade - She really pushed me to work harder and slack off less! (I remember squirting her with a water gun.. she thought there was a leak in the roof - :) )

Sophomore Lit teacher - Told me to skip American Lit and jump into British Lit. To this day I prefer the "English voice".

Junior Lit. Teacher - She was really cool.

Advanced Composition teacher - for pushing me to add more content and descriptions!

Williebee
09-12-2008, 08:05 PM
Father Pat -- Catholic Priest and Marine Chaplain - Integrity and compassion aren't the responsibility of the church, they are an obligation that comes from being human.

Mr. Cullinan -- Sociology teacher in High School - Taught me one of the guiding principles of my life: "Your rights end at your nose."

Spider Robinson (http://www.spiderrobinson.com/) -- It's in my sig.

My Mom -- All are welcome and respected in this home, and everybody gets to laugh at everybody, as long as they can laugh at themselves.

My Daughter -- Every moment is precious; every moment is a choice. You don't have to be right, but you do have to be honest, and honorable.

Shadow_Ferret
09-12-2008, 08:10 PM
and Kevin.

although for what I haven't the foggiest.

Williebee
09-12-2008, 08:16 PM
and Kevin -- He reminded me that poetry can still touch my heart. (Thanks, mate.)

Williebee
09-12-2008, 08:17 PM
and that shameless self promotion may be shameless
but it can still get results. :)

Feiss
09-12-2008, 09:46 PM
my parents

My friend in high school -Zach, who brought me out of my typical get good grades be a good asian girl shell, and showed me how to be goofy, and taught me how to joke about breasts and Helen Keller, and listened to me, like he actually cared.

Gary
09-12-2008, 09:51 PM
Capt. Clark Wingate, USAF. Commander...mentor...leader...teacher...father figure...friend. By relating one instance, I think I can make you understand why.

One of our crew members was going to the mess hall, and asked if anyone wanted him to bring something back. Capt. Wingate asked him to bring an apple, and gave him the money to pay for it. The sergeant told him he didn't need the money, that he would pick it up as part of his meal. The captain insisted he pay for it. The segeant said that no one would know. The captain's response?...."I would."

Thank you, Sir, the lesson taught by those two words have helped me make many decisions over the years.

LaurieD
09-12-2008, 10:27 PM
As far as writing goes -
Ms. Amy Demarest - 7th grade home room and social studies teacher. She informed me that I simply had too much imagination and would never be much of anything if I wasnt serious about something. As it seems I've always had an "oh, yeah?" attitude, she unintentionally encouraged me. :D
A nun from a different school, 8th grade - wrote in red ink all over nearly everything I turned in - all positive adjectives. I should have listened to her and gone into writing in college instead of waiting until my 30's.
My kids and my hubby - they're my own personal cheer squad.
My best friend of like 20 years - loves most of my stuff but is honest about the stuff she doesn't.

I couldn't ask for better!