Stupid Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kida Adelyn

This question is probably basic knowledge but I don't know the answer and can't find it.

What is the proper format for submitting a childrens picture book? How do you show page breaks? Do you put it on seperate pages? How do you format illustrations?

stormie267

Not a stupid question. Don't worry about showing page breaks. The editor will do that. Format it like you would any ms. (Double space between lines, Dark Courier 12pt. or New Times Roman 12 pt., Etc.) As for illustrations, you can pencil in ideas for it, but most publishers prefer to match you up with one of their own illustrators from their list.

Kida Adelyn

Thank You!

I was acctually looking at that fabjob thing, and since I am also a fair hand with drawing I was looking at that as a possiblity.

Agy Wilson

Proper procedure for subbing...

I heartily recommend that if you're not an illustrator, that you do not submit illustrations. A simple knowledge of drawing, though is a nice basis, and not necessary (many illustrations are done in diverse media from needlepoint to cut paper, to bas-relief) it is not the only criteria.

On the other hand if you truly do have an idea of what illustration is and wish to be considered as a writer/illustrator, you submit dummy, two or three great copies of finished illos, the mss and a cover letter. I've been told by a few editors to be considered for both, you must be skilled at both. Editors are looking for ANY reason to reject because of the stiff competition (and anyone can write a children's book-- NOT!) To do both is to double your chance.

If you'd like an idea of how to prepare a dummy, Sarah Brannen has written a wonderful articl on preparing a dummy for publication at my crit group's website (as well as other tutorials and hopefully fun stuff) at: www.Yellapalooza.com . The ms, should be 10 or 12 pt. Courier or Times Roman, double spaced, no more than thousand words (though there are most definitely exceptions to the rule).

Hope this helps!

Love,
Agy Wilson

www.Yellapalooza.com
www.kidmagwriters.com
ArtSmarts contributor
www.robertssnow.com
www.cafepress.com/agywilsonshtuff
www.aol.hometown.com/twi1009589/page1.html

Status
Not open for further replies.