I've lost my ever loving freaking mind!

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
I swear by Zeus if I have to have ONE MORE freaking interview with a child who is barely out of college and asking me those patented Fortune 500 psychological questions guaranteed to figure out if I am right for their company I'm going to go ballistic.

Seriously, this girl was so high on something she could barely keep her eyes open. I wanted to reach across the table and shake her!

If I could scream in this rant I would! :Soapbox: Who ever decided that a college graduate has more value than someone with 30 years of successful business experience just because the 20 something year old has a piece of freaking paper that says they know how to study and regurgitate facts?

Oh man! I freaking give up! :rant:

Kim (yes, still job hunting)

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I hear ya. I've always wondered why, if all else is equal, the diploma is necessary. I mean in my case, if I have done the work successfully, have many years proficient experience with the programs used, why then do I also need some stupid BA in something that doesn't even have to be related to the job?

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
I'm studying in school right now which many of you know. I'm a freaking International Honors student and I prize my education. That doesn't make me qualified to do a job though.

*goes back to banging her head on the desk*

Yah know, for the first time in months I want a freaking drink and I don't drink! *screams*

Bayou Bill

AW Ne'er-Do-Well
Registered
Reaction score
Down so low in Austin, bottom looks like up.
Website
billsbilge.blogspot.com
I hear ya. I've always wondered why, if all else is equal, the diploma is necessary. I mean in my case, if I have done the work successfully, have many years proficient experience with the programs used, why then do I also need some stupid BA in something that doesn't even have to be related to the job?
A high school diploma proves the holder can endure the unendurable.

A BS or BA degree says that person can learn stuff they hate.

Bayou Bill :cool:

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Please stop bangin' that purty head of yours, k. Bet you'll get the best job evah, Cassi!

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
HAGGIS' PRINCIPLE: When the interviewee's experience exceeds the age of the interviewer, the interviewee does not get the job. Starts about age 40 and gets worse from there.

Hang in there, Cassi. It will come. :Hug2:

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
HAGGIS' PRINCIPLE: When the interviewee's experience exceeds the age of the interviewer, the interviewee does not get the job. Starts about age 40 and gets worse from there.

Hang in there, Cassi. It will come. :Hug2:
The interviewee is supposed to be placing me with another company. She's a recruiter. I feel like I don't stand a snowball's chance in H E Double hockysticks.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
The gall!

She did what?

I hate job hunting.

I'll have a beer for ya too.
Well, without boring everyone with the details she sat there like a college grad yuppy playing with her mother's pearl wrapped around her neck and in a navy blue dress that looked like it was meant to be pressed and cleaned but it wasn't. She could barely focus on me her eyes were so glassy and bloodshot and kept asking me what I thought the "perfect fit" could be for me. Asked me if I wanted to take temp jobs but reassured me that would just be "temporary" and that they do their best to place people. When asked if I would take 10 dollars an hour and my response was no, ( I can work at Kelly Services for 15) she told me that I must keep my looking on my own, use every service I could find that (different tone) they don't actually get that much in the way of HR managers. Which she had said on the phone they do.

So basically I drove all the way there and used up a quarter tank of gas just to see her fiddle with her pearls, battle to focus and recant the things she told me to get me in there.

I have a headache. Did I mention that? It's working its way into a migraine as I type.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't believe the youngins have the pull these days. What do we work all these years for anyways? My boss is older than me and that's the way I like it. My husband's boss was half his age and half his wisdom as well.

It stinks!

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I swear by Zeus if I have to have ONE MORE freaking interview with a child who is barely out of college and asking me those patented Fortune 500 psychological questions guaranteed to figure out if I am right for their company I'm going to go ballistic.
You could always answer one question ahead. It would show that you have initiative. :)
Seriously, this girl was so high on something she could barely keep her eyes open. I wanted to reach across the table and shake her!

If I could scream in this rant I would! :Soapbox: Who ever decided that a college graduate has more value than someone with 30 years of successful business experience just because the 20 something year old has a piece of freaking paper that says they know how to study and regurgitate facts?

Oh man! I freaking give up! :rant:

Kim (yes, still job hunting)
And when you get to the point where you really know you don't want the job, you could ask Ms. Bloodshot Eyes something like "Do this company drug test employees, or just applicants?"

I haven't been on an interview in a long time. I'm almost afraid to. What will I do if they offer me a job???

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
I think the thing that bothered me the most was her tipping her head back and talking to me with her half closed eyes and sometimes they were closed and when she opened them again she fluttered her eyelashes in a way I refer to as batting her eyes and spoke down her nose with a hoity toity tone.

Yeah that really got to me. OH and please, someone update the communications techniques out that and tell these young people that speaking my name over and over in an interview doesn't show anything other than they don't know what they are doing. it's annoying and condescending. *goes back to banging her head but this time on the headboard cos I can't freaking sleep I'm that annoyed.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
Oh Cass, I feel your pain. Hang in there hon. Where I work, you are qualified if you can flirt and have great boobs. *sigh* Yeah we have a male idiot of a manager who happens to be sleeping with the second in control. (And I work in a hospital! very, very, scary people!)

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cass -

they work cheap and they're easy to fool.

That's why they're hired; that's why we're not.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
I started to say soemthing along the lines of "Hey, not all of us younger ones are like that," before I remembered "Holy fraking candles setting the smoke detector, Batgirl, you're forty..."

The admin in HR used to work at one of those staffing companies (one I used to be with and wasn't all that impressed with - all they ever did for me was put me in one of the most friggin' horrible jobs I ever had) and she said the turnover there is unbelieveable. Mostly they hire the recruiters just out of college and yes, they know zilch about how hiring really works. She stuck it out for a year in order to try to get some real experience before she went looking for a better job and ended up here.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
Pfffft - When are you oldies going to face up to the fact that you're past it? Young graduates are the FUTURE, people! Three years of drinking and sleeping around studying hard at university is the perfect experience for any job.

My first job out of college was doing quality control on a computer board manufacturing line. They started me out on a machine that checked capacitors and circuitry, which operated via a joystick. Nobody could believe how quickly I learned to run that thing, nor how many boards I could inspect in a day. I think my record was 130 on a really busy day...

All those quarters I sunk into that Ms Pac-Man game in the lounge really paid off. :D

AmusingMuse

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.awritersconnection.com
OMG, this is so true. The "kids" today, think they have all the answers and because we're older, we have outlived our ability to think without farting, speak without drooling and couldn't possibly know that 4 + 4 isn't 9. All our good ideas had to come off the back of a geritol container and any new ideas, we surely stole from them.

They think we all talk about bowel movements as a highlight to our social day and no, shhhhh, we never have sex. Child rearing is a no brainer if you ask them, they know it all so what's to rear? And starting a business and running it successfully is deemed "lucky" or only successful because you hired a "younger" person to run it. And... if one of them attempts it and fails, they blame us for overusing or over marketing the economy and "spoiling" it for them! Ergo, the ding-a-ling syndrome. So what purpose could we serve?

Stick us in a flower pot! At least with our drooling and gaseous behaviors, you can call us fertilizer! :rant::tongue

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The way things are going, my next boss will be 12 years old.

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, Ya'll have convinced me. I am never going out and get a job again.

Richard

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Hey! (Wait, am I still a kid since I'm 27? I still feel like an awkward teenager half the time, does that count?)

I think the problem with many (not all!) young people is that they are convinced of their own greatness. Deluded really. They think they are computer wizards because they IM, but they can't insert a picture into Word. They think they're a hot commodity in the job market, but don't realize it's because they can be paid in peanuts.

So many young people have had folks, like their parents, fawning over them and letting them get away with pretty much anything. Many are short-sighted and full of themselves.

But there are some kids who are none of those things.

Similarly, there are older folks who think they don't have to learn computers, should be paid more because they have experience in a completely unrelated area, and think they should be given extra breaks and less work because they're "old"-- here kid, you finish this, I'm old. They are cranky, out of touch and oblivious to the changing world. They don't understand how technology has affected life and can only reminise about the "good old days". =)

But not all of them.

Though the recruiter you dealt with was dreadful, regardless of her age. I would have been unacceptable for her to act as she had, regardless of her age. It was a powertrip by an unambitious young woman who doesn't realize she is the obstacle to her own success.

Best of luck in your job hunt. It's tough out there for all of us. Young people too-- at least the ones with ambitious, desires, and real skills we'd like to apply. =)