PDA

View Full Version : Ever asked to be on a panel - Or, any advice on how to bring up money?

Star
09-11-2008, 08:29 PM
Greetings Fellow Writers!

Long time no see (for those of you who remember me)!

Anywho, I met the Vice President of a television network last night. Told him about my book. Since my book is about empowering the youth, he said he may want me to be included on his upcoming panel - in Washington. I live in New York.

Question: Since I'm the one who boldly stated, "You should have me on your show" do I have the right to expect travel expense reimbursement? And do you guys know if panel folks are paid? (I'm not yet a well-known expert in my field.) Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Kryianna
09-11-2008, 09:41 PM
Congratulations, and welcome back!

I'd call the guy's assistant/secretary. Ask about dates/times for the panel, and just slip asking for expenses into the conversation. It's a legitimate question; I wouldn't feel bad about asking.

Star
09-11-2008, 11:31 PM
Hi there!

Thanks for the welcome.

Hmmm, this is a toughie, since I only have his info (don't know his assistant) - and he didn't officially invite me to join the panel yet. Alas, I'm so awkward at these things.

IceCreamEmpress
09-12-2008, 02:02 AM
Call the main number for his company, ask the name of his assistant, and get his or her contact information.

Or send him an email and say "Just following up about the panel. Should I be in touch with your assistant to discuss logistics?"