PDA

View Full Version : How do you find a literary attorney?

Ritergal
09-11-2008, 08:00 PM
Yesterday a woman called me with a request. She has two shopping bags full of journals covering ten years during which she has been documenting the abuse of senior citizens in her subsidized apartment building. The story she told me, without details, was coherent, thrilling, amazing, and blood-curdling that it could have gone on so long. She has involved several national senators, representatives, state officials, local officials, police, politicians -- the FBI even came to investigate and supported her findings.

She's tired now, and feels things are more or less under control in her building, though the offenders are still living there. She's ready to go public and wanted advice on turning her journals into a book. Yowzah!

The question for this group is how she can find a literary attorney to vet the thing to ensure she won't end her days in the slammer for libel. She's on a disability pension, but even if she had money, I don't know where to turn to find this resource.

What can you tell me?

Sargentodiaz
09-11-2008, 08:09 PM
She doesn't need a Literary Attorney - any one will do and she can probably get good advice from any of the community agencies that help senior citizens.
She will then need a good writer to help her get it ready to present to an agent - she will need to prepare a proposal. (Good guide for proposals in the Share Your Work thread here)
To find an agent, simply go to QueryTracker.com or do a Google search for Literary Agents. DO NOT CALL THEM!
Sounds like she's got a great story to tell and, with the right help, should be able to help a lot of other people too.

Ritergal
09-12-2008, 03:16 PM
Thanks Iv. She's in close touch with all the agencies. None have been willing or able to do anything to help her stop this abuse, but perhaps they can at least keep her out of legal trouble.

As much as I intended not to let this happen, her cause is slipping under my skin. Yikes! I'm noodling ways of assembling a Dream Team to help her organize the content and ideas to make it easier for whatever writer picks it up with her. It's too much to ask that any one person deal with two bushels of cold notes.

This woman does not have a computer and doesn't know how to type if she did... Oyee!