The Catfish Poetry Publication Prize

Celeste

Banned
Reaction score
The Catfish Poetry Publication Prize

I found this poetry competition listed at Craig's list. I'm not real familiar about poetry contests, or what is considered legit, considering there's a lot of scams out there. But thought I'd post it for you, since the prize isn't too bad ($500/publication). You all can check it out and judge for yourselves. The link says "Detroit", but I'm pretty sure it's open to everyone.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wrg/65172251.html

Last edited:

Celeste

Banned
Reaction score
Is that bad? I'm no poet and have never entered any poetry/writing contests. I've seen a lot posted in forums, which most had a fee, but is $20 a lot for a contest of this sort?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It would be on the high side of normal. Fees shouldn't be more than about 2% of the prize value as a general rule--the more important thing is whether the contest is well respected. I just posted the fee so people who only enter no or low fee contests will see it up front.

SilverStarSeven

Reading fee?

Yeah, $20 is pretty high. If I want to just give money away, I think I'll seek out a charity instead...

~Sss

bhall443

$20 reading fee

I thought the fee was on the high end, too, then I read up and learned it goes to a non-profit literacy org. I e-mailed the editor and learned the deadline was extended into 2006; they are young, but they are working with a group in Ireland that has a good reputation, Salmon Publishing.