Status
Not open for further replies.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
So five minutes ago, I received my final rejection on Darkshifters.

101 queries, 23 partials, 9 fulls...and, in the end, 101 rejections. So many of the rejections were personalized, so many of them were 'we want to see more of your work' so many of them liked every single thing but one.

And every single one of them passed.

Even I find it hard to be optimistic at the moment. My tough skin feels a little shredded. Why shouldn't it? My baby--and the dreams I had for it--are dead. I'm not used to self-doubt.

I don't like it.

Rationally, I know I'm still learning my craft and also that I'm luckier than most--I have a relationship with a small press. Darkshifters will probably see the light of day as the result of one email and the absolute trust of my EIC. But with every rejection on those manuscript requests there was always a teensy ray of light and I knew--just felt--that someone would pick it up before I reached the end of my very long query list. I wanted the big time, damnit!

I missed.

So I'll add another little tombstone to my graveyard of SFF stories and wade into the backed up drafts on my hard drive to drag out another book. I'll torture it and myself for several months, agonizing over every little aspect, and start all over again. And maybe, just maybe--this time I'll light upon that magic next time and make the connection that just barely slipped through my fingers this one.

The funeral's tomorrow--a private affair with vodka and Red Bull and perhaps just a little bit of angst-flavored beer. I'll give myself a few days to grieve and then I'll start compiling a new query list for the next victim in line.

And life goes on. The moral of this story is, I hope--always have a plan B.

And C.

And D.

And vodka.

Man this hurts. The Doom Bunny is dead.

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
*hands Celina a double shot of Grey Goose (pours one for self)*

:Hug2:

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
=(

i'm so sorry.

have you thought about querying
publishers directly through slush?
i know. it's a long shot. but i thought
i might have considered it if i didn't
get an agent.

*hugs*

personal Rs are so rare.
you really were close.
and it's so subjective.
don't doubt yourself.

/bootay shake! for good luck!

mscelina

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
If I shook my bootay, West Virginia would probably go with it. ;)

Yeah, I've thought about the slush piles...and cringed. Literally. Right off the couch. I might give it a go with some indie presses once I scrape my ego from the bottom of my shoe and start thinking practically. I think I'll wallow for a couple of days first.

Well...and drink.

ReallyRong

Registered
Reaction score
Yep, grieve for a while, but you can't grieve forever. You have to get back. TBH, your query stats are bloody amazingly good, and I'd say that you're in that part of the query spectrum that marks you out as already having proven that you have a rare talent. It'll happen. Probably when you least expect it.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry that stinks but please don't give up. Some hugs for you and cheers for you not to give up

:Hug2::Hug2::Hug2::e2cheer::e2cheer::e2cheer:

Have you had your story read by a beta reader? If not maybe they could give you some opinions to help it sell.

justme

Well butter my biscuit!
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2: I'm so sorry. I feel your pain.

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh. It sounds like you were so close. Did anyone give you any helpful rewrite tips/ideas?

Either way, best to you in the grieving process and good luck with your next project!

Last edited:

xiaotien

Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
you are entitled to wallow!

and i bow down to the power
of your bootay. =D

maybe publishers are a possibility.
or 20 more queries? you're *so* close!

okay, i'll stop. i'm an eternal optimist.
a terrible cynic, too. but an eternal
optimist.

/bootay shake!!!

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Man this hurts. The Doom Bunny is dead.

Pffft. Until your next book picks up an agent who sells that work to a good publisher and it sells well.

Just wait and see how fast Darkshifters finds a home then. Sometimes it's just timing. Keep moving forward with your writing, Celina. It's time will come.

xiaotien

Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
it's true! you could sell the next book
and then this one is published as the highly
anticipated PREQUEL!

/bootay shake!!!

mscelina

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Good Lord--you're depressingly optimistic. FWIW, the book was beta-ed and beta-ed again. The fangsters suffered through numerous incarnations--they learned to run when I started a post with "Oh, by the way..." It's just not--

*shrug*

--good enough. But that's okay. I'll bat some ideas around over the weekend (in between football games, of course) and decide where to go next. (I'm tempted to send it to Mundania, to be quite honest) And, as I said, I have numerous novels past first draft status. I'll torture one of them for a while. I have a feeling that, at least with the 'we want to see more of your work' agents, it might be a good idea to get another sub to them before too much longer.

As long as the next one is perfect, of course. I mean, I only worked on Darkshifters for five years...

*sniff*

More vodka. That's the ticket.

Thanks, guys.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
:Hug2: Oh man, that's gotta hurt. There's no way you can rewrite/resubmit to any of those 9 who read your full??? I'm doing that right now, which is the only reason I'm not joining you down in the dumps. Actually the agent suggested I write my "next book" and give it to her, and I was like "Er... right, see you in 9 months. What if I just revise this one first?" ;)

Anyway, at least now you have some who want to see more of your work, right?

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Awwww, Celina, I wish I knew what to say. Here's a :Hug2:. Have plenty of vodka. It's medicinal, and you'll feel better.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
But...dear lord, you are pulling nearly 30% response on partials and fulls. Those are stunning stats, IMO. You pulled nine full reads! Something is so close with your manuscript that I'm thinking just some additional tweaking or nip and tuck, would send it over the good edge.

What about comments? Anything useful or illuminating?

This one sounds very close, and I find when they are this close, they are very often picked up by small press. But watch those PODS, baby. Universtity and legit micro-presses (with some distribution) would be the best first choices

Mundania is very popular, but...they are a tad bit on the "millish" side, if you understand what I'm trying to say. Just be careful.

Tri

mscelina

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I'm well-versed in research by this point, I think. (God, I hope so! It would be hysterical if I messed up on that now. It would be like Dear Abby not knowing how to handle a cheating spouse...) POD publishing is not a route that I personally would explore at this time--but that's just me. So now I'm researching non-POD small presses. I was happy with the response rate. I guess that's why I got sucked into optimism this time, which is usually a state I avoid out of sheer self-preservation. It does make me think I'm on the right track at least...maybe...perhaps...

As far as small press goes, I'll take a couple of days and make up a short list and see where that takes me.

And my next book will be better. Its file is already open and glaring at me, daring me to read it as an editor and not a writer. I'll do my darnedest to avoid the temptation tonight, though. One more shot of vodka and I'll barely be able to type.

Thanks again, everyone, for all the consolation. And I promise, after all my preaching about staying on the horse and not falling into the mired traps of bitterness, I'll keep my perspective and jump right back into work.

Hell. Maybe I'll even stay out of my email account for a week or so in celebration. :)

Last edited:

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with the above who say save it for when you have an agent for your next one. How many of us out there have one in a drawer, kicked under the bed with the dust hippos, (no mere bunnies at my house), or stuffed in a box? After you wallow, please don't make it dead, just think of it as on an old-fashioned rest cure.

Status
Not open for further replies.