PDA

View Full Version : Hypochromia - Hyphema

raxen
09-10-2008, 10:44 PM
Okay, I've done a bunch of reasearch on this, but i'd like to check in and see if it's plausible. I'm hoping someone can confirm that this is possible.

Basically I have a male character who is born with green eyes, not hazel, green. He suffers some blunt head trama as a child which causes a hyphema (bleeding in the eye) in his left eye. The blood stains the green iris a dark brown which he retains for the rest fo his life.

It's questionable whether he has some sort of brain damage because the character is a bit psychotic.

I wanted him to retain normal vision.

Any comments will be helpful.
Thanks.

vixey
09-10-2008, 11:00 PM
A friend's daughter was born with a blue eye and a brown eye - no hyphema involved.

Not really sure I understand your question, though.

raxen
09-10-2008, 11:23 PM
A friend's daughter was born with a blue eye and a brown eye - no hyphema involved.

Not really sure I understand your question, though.

Sorry, I should have made it more clear. I know people can be born with hypochromia, but it's important for the character to have not been. I know it can be caused through using certain eye drops for types of glucoma, or various illnesses.

I couldn't find very much information on it being caused by an injury though. I found one artical referring to iron deposits staining the iris of a lighter coloured eye darker, but it didn't say how the iron deposits occured.

This is basically a 'is it plausible for it to happen this way' question. Sorry if I've thrown anyone by not being specific enough, I tend to do that al lot.

:D

IceCreamEmpress
09-10-2008, 11:51 PM
Heterochromia iriditis (different-colored eyes) can absolutely be caused by trauma to the eye or intra-ocular bleeding. See this pediatric opthalmology textbook (http://books.google.com/books?id=tJRGu-L53K0C&pg=PA237&lpg=PA237&dq=acquired+heterochromia+ocular+trauma&source=web&ots=r7A7t4-l2t&sig=qy2TX9YvBuskLoCfJ5KfKsfuQRo&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=6&ct=result)for a discussion.

And Google "acquired heterochromia" for more links.

raxen
09-10-2008, 11:55 PM
Heterochromia iriditis (different-colored eyes) can absolutely be caused by trauma to the eye or intra-ocular bleeding. See this pediatric opthalmology textbook (http://books.google.com/books?id=tJRGu-L53K0C&pg=PA237&lpg=PA237&dq=acquired+heterochromia+ocular+trauma&source=web&ots=r7A7t4-l2t&sig=qy2TX9YvBuskLoCfJ5KfKsfuQRo&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=6&ct=result)for a discussion.

And Google "acquired heterochromia" for more links.

Brilliant. Thanks for that, really helps me with the character. :)

chevbrock
09-12-2008, 05:09 PM
I believe David Bowie had two green eyes before he suffered some sort of injury earlier in his life to change the green eye to brown.

Skyraven
09-15-2008, 02:09 AM
his eye didn't turn brown. The pupil of his eye is almost fully dialated from a school yard injury.

chevbrock
09-17-2008, 04:53 PM
Ah, there you go... :)