Hypochromia - Hyphema

raxen

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I've done a bunch of reasearch on this, but i'd like to check in and see if it's plausible. I'm hoping someone can confirm that this is possible.

Basically I have a male character who is born with green eyes, not hazel, green. He suffers some blunt head trama as a child which causes a hyphema (bleeding in the eye) in his left eye. The blood stains the green iris a dark brown which he retains for the rest fo his life.

It's questionable whether he has some sort of brain damage because the character is a bit psychotic.

I wanted him to retain normal vision.

Any comments will be helpful.
Thanks.

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
A friend's daughter was born with a blue eye and a brown eye - no hyphema involved.

Not really sure I understand your question, though.

raxen

Registered
Reaction score
A friend's daughter was born with a blue eye and a brown eye - no hyphema involved.

Not really sure I understand your question, though.

Sorry, I should have made it more clear. I know people can be born with hypochromia, but it's important for the character to have not been. I know it can be caused through using certain eye drops for types of glucoma, or various illnesses.

I couldn't find very much information on it being caused by an injury though. I found one artical referring to iron deposits staining the iris of a lighter coloured eye darker, but it didn't say how the iron deposits occured.

This is basically a 'is it plausible for it to happen this way' question. Sorry if I've thrown anyone by not being specific enough, I tend to do that al lot.

:D

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Heterochromia iriditis (different-colored eyes) can absolutely be caused by trauma to the eye or intra-ocular bleeding. See this pediatric opthalmology textbook for a discussion.

And Google "acquired heterochromia" for more links.

chevbrock

Registered
Reaction score
I believe David Bowie had two green eyes before he suffered some sort of injury earlier in his life to change the green eye to brown.

Skyraven

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
his eye didn't turn brown. The pupil of his eye is almost fully dialated from a school yard injury.