PDA

View Full Version : Spanish nickname for my character

Kathie Freeman
09-10-2008, 07:57 PM
One of the characters in my wip had part of his foot amputated in a railroad accident and so walks with a limp. In the English version I called him Hopalong or Hoppy for short. Is there something in Spanish that would be equivalent without being insulting?

Sarpedon
09-10-2008, 08:01 PM
Hoppy isn't insulting? If I met someone with one foot, I'd never call him hoppy.

Deb Kinnard
09-11-2008, 12:38 AM
Cojear is the verb "to limp" -- you might google a couple of the translation sites for that word and see what variations you get. Cojeado might be the adjectival form? You could also use lisiado, whose direct translation is "crippled" (not exactly in wide use in English). I don't know any nicknames for this that wouldn't be grossly insulting.

Unless that's what you want...

A useful phrase in this case is ¡Eso sueña a insulto¡ or "that sounds insulting!"

Kathie Freeman
09-12-2008, 12:06 AM
It isn't the whole foot that is missing, just the front 2 inches or so, and it isn't visible with a boot on. Hopalong is actually a reference to Hopalog Cassidy, the old-time cowboy star, and the person using the nickname is an old friend. I was thinking maybe something like Brincadero, but if that would be considered insulting I won't use it.

Kathie Freeman
09-12-2008, 07:50 PM
How about if I call him "Medio" as in medio pie?

marie2
09-13-2008, 11:47 PM
Hmm, this is a toughie. It could be "El Cojo" (roughly translated in English would be The Limper).