PDA

View Full Version : What Are The Strangest Names You've Heard Someone Call Their Pet?

AmusingMuse
09-09-2008, 11:56 PM
Other day, someone was walking down the street in front of our house, walking their cat.

I was just getting home from picking up my daughter and I heard, "Jockstrap, I swear you are driving me to drink."

I think I live in the land of Id.

Kitrianna
09-09-2008, 11:58 PM
I named a kitten Ijit. But the owrst I've heard is a friend who named his dog Streak.

AmusingMuse
09-10-2008, 12:00 AM
hahaha my brother called his cat ole "One Eye." Said he was inspired when the cat was running away.

DL Hegel
09-10-2008, 12:02 AM
my husband want to name a pet Frankenstien?

regdog
09-10-2008, 12:11 AM
You're talking to the bad cat who named one of her cats
Pest another cat was named Ible De Boo my pug came with the name Magellan but I call him Pubba da Wubba and he likes it

BardSkye
09-10-2008, 12:11 AM
A pal of mine named his dogs "Sooner" and "Later."

WendyNYC
09-10-2008, 12:15 AM
My daughter wanted to name our dog "Doorman," and she called him that for weeks.

vixey
09-10-2008, 12:17 AM
We had a cat that had six toes on two of its paws and seven on another (the fourth had only five - go figure!). We called her Six-Toes.

But when I saw this thread I immediately thought of S#*thead from the Jerk.

Pagey's_Girl
09-10-2008, 12:18 AM
Walking a cat? Like on a leash? Is that even possible?

I once had a hamster named Gigabyte, based on the amount of storage space in his face. I aslo had two lovebirds who started out life as Fuel Rod and Meltdown, but ended up being named Miss Lady Hen and Squeak.

Shadow_Ferret
09-10-2008, 12:28 AM
We had a cat that had six toes on two of its paws and seven on another (the fourth had only five - go figure!). We called her Six-Toes.

I would have named it Dr. Seuss because of that story with the guy who had eleven fingers.

JoNightshade
09-10-2008, 12:30 AM
Our friends have a dog named Leeloo Dallas Multipass (they call her Dallas).

auntybug
09-10-2008, 12:33 AM
The jewelry store next door has 2 weiner dogs - Frank & Beans. I love it!

Mr Flibble
09-10-2008, 12:35 AM
We called one of our cats Smeg - his brothers Head so we calll them in by shouting Smeeeeeegheeeeeeead

They all answer to little songs my hubby made for them, my fave of which is ( sung to the noddy theme tune)

Lister, the little cat with the red and yellow bum.

Don Allen
09-10-2008, 12:39 AM
My sister named our beagle who looked just like snoopy......"Govenor Groovy" This was is the sixties and yes she was a bit of a flower child.....

vixey
09-10-2008, 12:40 AM
My neighbors have 2 dogs: Remy Martin and Maker's Mark. Not strange, but certainly fun!

JLCwrites
09-10-2008, 12:43 AM
Mr. Turkey had a parakeet named Bob.

We had two fish once. They looked exactly alike so they were named Juan and Ahmal.

Because if you've seen Juan, you've seen Ahmal.

vixey
09-10-2008, 12:54 AM
We had two fish once. They looked exactly alike so they were named Juan and Ahmal.

Because if you've seen Juan, you've seen Ahmal.

:roll:

TerzaRima
09-10-2008, 01:15 AM
One of my high school friends had a dog named Grandma. It got her into dicey situations--one time she met me in a store and I asked her, "What did you do with Grandma?"

"She's tied up outside."

"Someone could kidnap her! Lock her in the car and roll the windows down a little."

People started giving us menacing looks.

quickWit
09-10-2008, 01:19 AM
We know someone who named their dog Gucci. And when Gucci went outside to piddle, she was making sparkles.

Now that may not be particularly odd, but it is quite nauseating. :)

sassandgroove
09-10-2008, 01:20 AM
O Dear Another Cat.

O Dear for short. Seriously.

Bayou Bill
09-10-2008, 01:35 AM
Strangest Names You've Heard Someone Call Their Pet

Humor writer, Patrick McManus claims his boyhood dog was named, STRANGE, a delinquent, whose prey of choice was year-old roadkill.

My father named one of his dogs, SPIZARD.

Our first Yorkshire Terrier, PUH GEE WOODHOUSE (Sir P.G. spelled his last name, Wodehouse), went by the name of, PUDGY.

Rumple Foreskin :cool:

sheadakota
09-10-2008, 01:37 AM
Wait- People really walk their cats?

My brother had a cat named Fart- well, because he was in college at the time- he would walk around campus asking if anyone saw Fart.

Broadswordbabe
09-10-2008, 01:50 AM
A college friends' first two cats were Hedgecat and Fishface. The next three were Hopton, Waller and Rupert (English Civil War generals. She was in the Sealed Knot). One of mine is called Schrodinger; possibly an unfortunate choice. He's turned out rather nervous...

MaryMumsy
09-10-2008, 01:53 AM
A miniature poodle named Christmas, because she got him as a Christmas gift. Sounded really stupid on the 4th of July: 'here Christmas, here Christmas'.

MM

Elaine Margarett
09-10-2008, 02:15 AM
We currently have a German shepherd dog named, "Steve."

We had two hamsters named, "Fire Bulb" (I have no idea why) and "Red Eye," as well as a rabbit named, "Duck" (daughter was three at the time and insisted it was a duck).

Oh, and a friend of mine had a rabbit named, "Stew" as in "this is my rabbit, Stew." She's kinda corny.
:-)

Feiss
09-10-2008, 02:46 AM
Professor Catface Meowmers

mscelina
09-10-2008, 03:01 AM
Worst lost cat story ever. We have a cat who used to be able to open casement windows. Well one night a few Octobers ago, she opened the bedroom window. So here I go, walking through the neighborhood on a dark and stormy night the week before Halloween calling, "Satan! Here, Satan!"

I was not amused.

And yes, she is a black cat. Solid black.

Snowstorm
09-10-2008, 03:04 AM
My sister had a cat named "Shitdrag" because when she got the cat the cat had a piece of stuff on its hind end. She had a another cat whose names morphed into "Yitta", short of "Bit of Honey" (Yitta is the sweetest cat on the planet). She had an ugly dog she called, "Ugly Dog." It was funny when she took the dog to the vet and they had to write its name.

Feiss
09-10-2008, 03:10 AM
O Dear Another Cat.

O Dear for short. Seriously.

LAWL :ROFL:

justme
09-10-2008, 03:44 AM
I named my dog Sopchoppy.

Mumut
09-10-2008, 03:54 AM
My nickname for my dog is Canus Horibilis.

DL Hegel
09-10-2008, 04:27 AM
I had a cat who answered to little ducker. It was because the cat was constantly in to things and my husband would say what are you doing little ducker? one time he was talking on the phone to someone about a guy he worked with--and called him a little ducker--that cat ran into the room thinking he was calling him--after that by my request he only called the cat Taz--short for Tasmain Devil Cat:)

jessicaorr
09-10-2008, 04:36 AM
We had a cat named "Lenin's Tomb"... stole it from Clerks though.

ETA: My absolute favorite cat name is "Textured Cat Protein." from Ratbastard.org (now defunct).

KC Sunshine
09-10-2008, 04:42 AM

But when I saw this thread I immediately thought of S#*thead from the Jerk.

I laugh every time I think of that dog S#*thead. There is no way that film could be made today- waaaay too offensive.

My dogs name is Tubs (see left) and people always say what a horrible name, like I called him that because he's fat. But he isn't fat- he's super lean, we just named him after a character from a TV show.

Vincent
09-10-2008, 04:49 AM
I named a couple of cats Blackeye and Hunchback. Blackeye morphed into Lazy and Hunchback into Hyper. They now go by Fasto and Skinny.

Pagey's_Girl
09-10-2008, 04:56 AM
My oldest budgie is named Freddie, after Freddie Mercury. Obviously, I thought I had a boy bird. Imagine my surprise when, at Freddie's first checkup, the doctor observed, "My, she's quite the little chatterbox, isn't she?"

The name still fits, though. She's the biggest little diva since the late. great Freddie himself.

TerzaRima
09-10-2008, 06:28 AM
Other pet names I have known:

A cat named David Litterman. My stepson's gray kitten is named Chairman Meow. One of my friends had a blind cat and dubbed her...groan...Iris.

One of my coworkers has a big indolent yellow Lab named Fat Sally, which cracks me up.

TerzaRima
09-10-2008, 06:30 AM
I almost forgot the beloved German shepherd of a couple my sister knows...Cybill.

Ciera_
09-10-2008, 06:59 AM
LOL at all of these. I'll come back when I've remembered- Oh! one just came to me
Not so much a horrible name as a hilarious situation

My little cousin Braden had two uncles, one on each side of the family. My dad, 'Uncle Walter', and his mom's sister, 'Uncle Charlie'.
I think Charlie's dog Walter came first. And if my parents had known about that, they probably wouldn't have named our puppy Charlie.
Braden, at age 3, was a little confused, to say the least.
Hilarious story ^^

benbradley
09-10-2008, 07:19 AM
If you click on my profile you'll see a 99 pound rottweiler named after a Stephen King novel (no I didn't name him): Cujo.

He's a pussycat, but he does bark at strangers, and lots of people won't get out of their cars when they come up the driveway.

kct webber
09-10-2008, 07:58 AM
I once had a mastif named Sexy Bitch. My parents own a hundred-pound rotty named Tiny, but everyone calls her Fat-Fat-Fatty-FatFatFat. I now own a pitbull named Ziek--I didn't name him--but he comes to the following: Orange Balls, Dick Lips, Shit Face, Ass Monster, Stink, Stinky, Stink Face, Stink Lips, Stink Breath, Stinkerrific, and generally any other combination of words involving the word stink.

Yeshanu
09-10-2008, 09:25 AM
We once had a cat called Nuisance. Because he was...

Currently, our strangest pet (cat) name is Pizzicato. We got him from the cello teacher.

Lyra Jean
09-10-2008, 09:57 AM
I named one of my cats Conan O'Brien. I had another cat once named Dominoes and my brother named his cat Pizza Hut because they were siblings.
And one other cat which I didn't name but his is Lion of Judah. We just call him Judah.

qwerty
09-10-2008, 10:24 AM
Someone brought us a kitten in a handbag. In true Lady Bracknell style, I said, "A handbag! We'll have to call him Earnest." But hubby said that was a daft name for a cat, so we called him Brian.

I know someone who called his cat Ceremony so when visitors came to his house he could tell them not to stand on ceremony.

Fingers
09-10-2008, 10:25 AM
I do volunteer work with a lady who always wanted to have a dog named penelope. She finally got a puppy this summer. She named it penelope, too bad its a male dog.

yer pal Brian

Stlight
09-10-2008, 11:51 AM
No, names that strange, at least that I can spell. But there was a time when I walked the cat on a leash. We lived in the city and the roads were dangerous for all beings not in cars. She went on three walks. On the third one something frightene her and she drug me through a holly bush. (Okay, she had a harness on, but I was afraid if I jerke back on it I'd hurt her. Dogs are easier to walk, except when they decide tofight another dog leash or no leash.)

She was a no walkies housecat after that.

Stlight

Bmwhtly
09-10-2008, 12:05 PM
I had another cat once named Dominoes and my brother named his cat Pizza HutI do know someone who had two cats called Gilbert and Sullivan.
They also had two guinea pigs called Bubble and Squeak (because one farted when you picked it up and the other squeaked).

There was an incident where a cat got into the guinea pig hutch...

The next day, he had two pets, Gilbert and Squeak.

threedogpeople
09-10-2008, 02:25 PM
I liked our doggies names:

Wisdom (died last November). The neighbors thought we had lost our minds hearing us yelling "Come! Wisdom!" at the top of our lungs.

Middle dog is a rescue, appropriately named "Mercy". Also, what good is having Wisdom if you don't have Mercy?

Youngest dog, Joy (a white dog and a Christmas present). We thought, "what good are Wisdom and Mercy if you don't have Joy?"

PS: If hubby relents and lets me get a puppy (Joy's sister is expecting a litter that will be ready for new homes around Christmas); new puppy will be a girl named "Finale". Why? She will be, most likely, the last big dog that we have.

Bmwhtly
09-10-2008, 03:49 PM
"what good are Wisdom and Mercy if you don't have Joy?"That reminds me of Jeremy Clarkson.

He named his first dog Genesis.
Then when he got another, he named it Exodus.
Yup, the next one was Leviticus.

And then he had to call his last one Numbers.

auntybug
09-10-2008, 05:08 PM
My inside cats are George & Gracie - both girls

I did have a Dalmatian named Stripe & a Turtle named Fluffy...I tend to go against the grain ;)

kristie911
09-10-2008, 05:16 PM
I had a pair of cats named Bundy and Gacy (Bundy was male, Gacy was female).

They were killer on mice. :D

Pagey's_Girl
09-10-2008, 05:26 PM
Someone brought us a kitten in a handbag. In true Lady Bracknell style, I said, "A handbag! We'll have to call him Earnest." But hubby said that was a daft name for a cat, so we called him Brian.

I know someone who called his cat Ceremony so when visitors came to his house he could tell them not to stand on ceremony.

There's an old Peanuts strip with Snoopy writing one of his novels:

"They had named their new Great Dane "Good Authority." One day soon after, his wife asked him if he'd seen her new belt.
"Belt?" he said. "I thought it was a dog collar. I have it on Good Authority."
Shortly thereafter, their marriage began to go downhill..."

lisake
09-10-2008, 05:42 PM
LOL. Love this thread.

Some of my favorites are the pair names. I know people who've had Biscuits & Gravy, Peanut & Butter, and Smith & Wesson (scary, huge Rottweillers).

I read about a local (Memphis) woman who had two finches named Atticus and Larry (after our hometown hero and former basketball star and coach Larry Finch).

When I was a kid, we had a string of pets named Tolkien, Bilbo, Gandalf and the like.

My mother once gave me a kitten whose collar from the shelter read "Neut" for neutered, and the name stuck (though I changed the spelling to Newt).

My mother also had a Llasa Apso name Dalai (as in Lama). His full, AKC-registered name was Dalai Ram-a-lam-a-ding-dong.

Keep the fun pet names coming.

Appalachian Writer
09-10-2008, 06:32 PM
Not unusual, I suppose, but I once had a cat who was born on the day Charles and Diana got married. We called him Prince Charles. Then I had a pair of Labradors named Sluggo and Mr. Bill (you'd have to watch the first season of Saturday Night Live to understand that one.) But I vote for Haggis. I never knew anyone who called their dog after a Scottish sausage.

Alpha Echo
09-10-2008, 06:40 PM
Once we had cats named Fred and Cookie. The names just fit, you know?

Cookie turned out to be a boy, not a girl.

We kept his name as Cookie. He still seemed like a Cookie.

Clair Dickson
09-10-2008, 07:05 PM
My friend had a cat named "Butthead." Her dad gave the cat the name... probably so he could stand on the porch when certian neighbors went by and yell "Hey Butthead-- oh, just calling the cat." And he did.

My mom had a cat named OSWIT-- for Oh sh*t what is this?

And we had a kitten that we were absolutely positively NOT going to be keeping that I called "Scruffy". His sister was Fluffy-- they were "Temporary" names. The kittens we weren't keeping lived with us for years. Scruffy died only two years ago, almost 9 years after he was supposed to be given away.

TerzaRima
09-10-2008, 07:26 PM
Threedog, your story reminded me of something I read about a nun's two cats--she named them Goodness and Mercy because they followed her all the days of her life.

CaroGirl
09-10-2008, 07:36 PM
I knew a guy in university who called his dog Dildo. I think he just liked yelling it out for the whole neighbourhood to hear. What a jockstrap that guy was.

Inky
09-10-2008, 08:09 PM
My daughter's large pet pig is named Omlet (he's a stuffed animal, but don't tell HER that), and the little one is called Scrambled Egg
Her jellyfish's name is Goop

Her mouse's name is Cheese

The breathing animals are Mammoth--which, after 19 years has morphed into Shitty Kitty and the new arrival/rescued cat is Maximillian Ludwig--gee, can you tell we got him in Germany? Though we call him Max, I think we should have named him Ritalin--he rocket-launches up the side of the wall to pounce on Shitty Kitty...and then the cat screams commence...bedlam!

Vandal
09-10-2008, 09:07 PM
A friend's dog was named Deeohgee (sound out D-O-G)

Naturally, his cat was Ceaytee.

Pagey's_Girl
09-10-2008, 10:34 PM
I knew a guy in university who called his dog Dildo. I think he just liked yelling it out for the whole neighbourhood to hear. What a jockstrap that guy was.

That's like in Tales of the City, when Michael Tolliver adopts a friend's dog - whose name is K-Y. He changes it to Harry rather than walk down the street calling out "K-Y!"

Lyra Jean
09-11-2008, 12:24 AM
My friend had two cats named Orgasm and Ecstasy.

AmusingMuse
09-11-2008, 01:27 AM
My daughter's large pet pig is named Omlet (he's a stuffed animal, but don't tell HER that), and the little one is called Scrambled Egg
Her jellyfish's name is Goop

Her mouse's name is Cheese

The breathing animals are Mammoth--which, after 19 years has morphed into Shitty Kitty and the new arrival/rescued cat is Maximillian Ludwig--gee, can you tell we got him in Germany? Though we call him Max, I think we should have named him Ritalin--he rocket-launches up the side of the wall to pounce on Shitty Kitty...and then the cat screams commence...bedlam!

Ahhhahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Silver King
09-11-2008, 03:55 AM
I can see how it would be thrilling to run up and down the street yelling, "Has anybody seen my dildo!?"
And when the poor fellow wasn't found, notices would go up in the neighborhood and fliers handed out proclaiming as much until the wiener dog was safely located.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/27/Short-haired-Dachshund.jpg

JLCwrites
09-11-2008, 04:38 AM
Oh lordy... don't let Mary see that!

Appalachian Writer
09-11-2008, 04:48 AM

That reminds me of a totally un-pet related set of peculiar names. Three towns in a row. I think they're on route 33 in PA. (My Atlas skills are weak so I apologize to PA residents now) The towns are : Bird in Hand, Intercourse, and Paradise. Cool, huh?

Ol' Fashioned Girl
09-11-2008, 04:56 AM
A pharmacist in Oklahoma City had a couple wiener dogs named 'Pills' and 'Capsules'. :D

JLCwrites
09-11-2008, 06:06 AM
Don't mind me... I am just following KTC's devil avatar around AW.

selkn.asrai
09-11-2008, 06:42 AM
My cats' names are Evie and Vladimir, which someone called me weird for... I like them, though. :)

My grandfather named his cat Sass, because whenever someone visited, he could ask, "Have you seen my cat, Sass?" (If this doesn't seem strange to you, say it out loud.)

Craziest name goes to a beautiful, v. sweet white husky named Six Pack. For a six pack of beer.

Pagey's_Girl
09-11-2008, 05:03 PM
And when the poor fellow wasn't found, notices would go up in the neighborhood and fliers handed out proclaiming as much until the wiener dog was safely located.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/27/Short-haired-Dachshund.jpg

The woman down the street has a weiner dog. I feel sorry for the poor little guy when her grandchildren walk him. They're not being mean on purpose, I know, but they don't realize how hard he has to work to keep up...

Alpha Echo
09-11-2008, 05:42 PM

Seriously? That is hilarious.

AmusingMuse
09-11-2008, 06:18 PM
A pharmacist in Oklahoma City had a couple wiener dogs named 'Pills' and 'Capsules'. :D

I suppose as long as he didn't call another "Overdose" it's all good???

Grrarrgh
09-12-2008, 12:12 AM
Ours is Glen Pugmire, after Glen Quagmire from Family Guy. When Mr. Grr was growing up, they had a dog they named Just a Little Mistake. They called him Misty for short.

Lyra Jean
09-12-2008, 07:06 AM
Seriously? That is hilarious.

seriously. It is hilarious especially when the boy next door kept coming over to her house when she called the cats.

LaurieD
09-12-2008, 07:24 AM
When I was a kid the neighbors had 2 full grown Dobermans - Puppy (meanest dog I've ever known) and Cabbage Patch Kid.

Then there were the neighbors on the other side - with Baby Girl, Pepper, Misty, and Michelle. Michelle ran a close second behind Puppy for Meanest Dog.

Of course, my parents live in the middle - with their dog - Chubbers.

TerzaRima
09-12-2008, 08:09 AM
Cats do well with poet names. I had cats named Carl Sandberg (because the fog came in on little cat feet) and I once fostered an enormous gray cat I called Whitman. We used to joke that he was large and contained multitudes, probably of cicadas and voles.

orderandlaw
09-12-2008, 09:23 PM
"Cooking fat" (for a cat)

DeleyanLee
09-12-2008, 09:34 PM
My mother & her sibs had a 3-legged dog (born that way) as kids. They named him Guess. You can imagine the fun of that one.

The brother-in-law of a friend named his cat "Poops-in-tub" because she does. I keep imagining the joy of being that vet's assistant and calling them back in for an appointment.

And then there was the friend of my father's who had two guard dogs (Rott-Dobe mixes) named Fluffy and Bunny.

AmusingMuse
09-12-2008, 10:10 PM
My mother & her sibs had a 3-legged dog (born that way) as kids. They named him Guess. You can imagine the fun of that one.

The brother-in-law of a friend named his cat "Poops-in-tub" because she does. I keep imagining the joy of being that vet's assistant and calling them back in for an appointment.

And then there was the friend of my father's who had two guard dogs (Rott-Dobe mixes) named Fluffy and Bunny.

hahahahaha

can you imagine, burglar breaks in, owner confronts burglar:

"Get lost punk, or my dogs fluffy and bunny will eat you whole."

Fingers
10-21-2008, 06:57 AM
We had two cats one time named Hoover and Evinrude. One would eat anything that hit the floor and the other purred non stop 24 hours a day. One was out in the field and became a cow hoof print, the other ate a mouse that had been into some rat poison.

yer pal Brian

C.bronco
10-21-2008, 07:03 AM
The 150 lb. dog I had in my youth was named Baby. My Mom's dog is named Yellow Dog, after the dog in the movie Funny Farm.

My friends named their dogs Dega (for Talladega) and Bristol (for Bristol Motor Speedway).

DisenchantedDoc
10-21-2008, 01:27 PM
I had a cat named Iggy One Ball. I was just going to name him Iago, but when the vet told me he had only one testicle, I asked her if it would be half-price to get him fixed. He got dubbed with the moniker that day.

My sister had a cat she named Phrixus, but my other sister referred to it as "Turd" because it could never be housebroken

My grandma was the queen at weird pet names, though: Wootsie, Muggins, and Boonie all come to mind

EriRae
10-21-2008, 01:48 PM
A friend's dog was named Deeohgee (sound out D-O-G)

Naturally, his cat was Ceaytee.

Seems we know the same person, or it's not as original as he thought? :D

Our next-door neighbor's Great Dane is "Lugnut."

We already had three dogs growing up, but the neighbor abandoned his dog when he moved to town, so we named her "Spare Dog."

I had kitten I named "Blue Eyes." He was part siamese, and when his eyes didn't change color after three months, I assumed his eyes would stay blue. Not so. Had to change his name to B.E.

Pomegranate
10-21-2008, 10:47 PM
Back in the 70s my husband had a cat named "mousy tongue"

Mela
10-21-2008, 10:58 PM
My cat's full name is Amber Belle
When she does something like urinate outside of her litterbox I call her Amber Smell.
Sometimes I just reduce it to Smell.
So it occurs to me if someone who didn't know me came into the house and heard me say, "Here Smell" they'd think I was, you know, a tad weird.