PDA

View Full Version : A cautionary tale for self-publishers living in less democratic parts of the world...

Cathy C
09-09-2008, 06:31 PM
Scary stuff out there when putting words into the public eye, as this article (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7604935.stm) reveals. An Australian author is facing 15 years in prison in Thailand for lese majeste (high treason.) Is this one of the natural hazards of self-pubbing, or will somehow this too come back on some of the publishers who are publishing what's handed to them?

L M Ashton
09-10-2008, 05:25 AM
This is also a problem for bloggers in many, as you say, less democratic countries, with bloggers being imprisoned or killed for their "crimes".

Keyan
09-10-2008, 09:23 AM
I think it's one of the problems of a multicultural world.

In India, a book about Shivaji published IIRC by Oxford University Press offended the sentiments of one group of Indians who ransacked the research institution that supported the research effort, and the Indian scholar the writer thanked in his foreword. The group also sought to get the book banned; the Supreme Court disagreed.

A European teacher got into trouble in a Mideastern country when the kids in her class named the class mascot toy bear after the Prophet.

In India, a company had a shipment of business literature seized and destroyed because they used a map the government considers erroneous. (There are disputed borders with Pakistan and China.)

Who can forget Salman Rushdie and the fatwah of doom?

It's really tough to navigate global sensitivities.

Mr. Anonymous
09-22-2008, 12:11 AM
It's shit like this that makes me lose faith in humanity.

C.M. Daniels
10-01-2008, 10:37 PM
That's disturbing.

icerose
10-07-2008, 07:05 PM
Scary stuff out there when putting words into the public eye, as this article (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7604935.stm) reveals. An Australian author is facing 15 years in prison in Thailand for lese majeste (high treason.) Is this one of the natural hazards of self-pubbing, or will somehow this too come back on some of the publishers who are publishing what's handed to them?

It really has nothing to do with self publishing but rather the intollerance in some parts of the world. It pays to do your research about the country you're staying in if you're going to say something bad or offensive as it may just end up getting you killed.

For example, the Dutch artist who did the cartoon strip of Mohammed, had he been in a stronger muslim based country he would have been beheaded.

Williebee
10-07-2008, 07:19 PM
It really has nothing to do with self publishing but rather the intollerance in some parts of the world.

I'm not sure I agree with you on this one. I'm not sure I disagree, either. :)

The intolerance and perhaps, enforced ignorance, in various parts of the world are a very real thing, and may be part of the problem.

That said, if communication is as much the responsibility of the communicator and the audience, you have to know the consequences and effects of your communication.

Not to excuse the actions of the government, in any way, you understand, but the guy lives and works there. He is suffering from the same world he complained about.

Kind of like saying "Wasps suck cuz' they will bite you." and then poking a nest with a stick.