Status
Not open for further replies.

Wormo

Getting By
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
I was just curious as i recently found out that i'm damned scared of air raid sirens! (along side small spaces). I was curious what other people are scared of and what phobias people share?

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
I'm arachnophobic. I don't just mean I don't like spiders. I've had 2 really freaky experiences with them and now even the smallest little guy kills me. My heart starts to race, I try to keep it in sight so that it can't sneak up on me....

Experience #1: 15 years old. Visiting my uncle in Hawaii. I woke up feeling a heavy pressure on my chest and my uncle saying "Sara, don't move. You might scare it." I don't even know what kind it was. It was heavy and huge. Within a second it ran off of me and up the wall. He threw a book at it and it made a splatter the size of a basketball. GROSS!

Experience #2: 19, Living in Peru. Having breakfast at a small table in a small kitchen. A spider, better known as Shelob, came down from the rafters between my room mate and I. It was the size of my hand and it was probably 6 inches from my face. It paralyzed me. It sucked itself back up and never came back down. I stayed outside the house for hours that day. I didn't want to come back in to sleep. We never saw it again, but I always knew it was there, waiting to get me alone!

Nivvie

Rejections, She Wrote.
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to think this classes as a phobia, but I can't be doing with chewing on towels. All I have to do is think of putting a towel in my mouth and I get goosbumps.

I thought about buying some new towels the other day, but when I saw them in the shop I shivered, and left.

Dammit, I'm shivering and cringing now!

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Oh and I can't stand to touch raw ceramic. Ewww, I get chills thinking about it. (Not so much a phobia as a sensory thing)

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
Spiders. Spiders. Spiders. Spiders. To quote George Stobbard of Broken Sword 2:

"There were only three things I didn't like about spiders. The way they looked, the way they moved, and the fact they lived on the same planet as me."

And Saritams - I get exactly the same thing with cotton wool and certain types of doormat.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
I have a friend who hates touching paper place mats at restaurants. Freaks her out to no end.

Great quote, Richard.

Celeste

Banned
Reaction score
I don't think I have any phobias. Well, unless this is considered a phobia... I cannot drink without a straw. It drives me crazy if I don't have a straw. I've gotten so used to using a straw that it just feels weird to drink without one. :Shrug:

But other than that, I don't think I have any. I'll have to think about it. Lol...

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Snakes. Can't look at them on television, can't look at them in pictures, just knowing that they're in the pet store where I buy bird/dog food freaks me out. Can't even bring myself to walk past them. And if I see one in the yard, I'm out of my mind for the rest of the day, and then I have nightmares that night.

I'm sure I'd die if I were bitten. *shudder*

On the other hand, my best friend feels the same way about birds. She won't even come in my house until I promise her the birds are locked in their cages.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Wormo said:
Only at restaurants, theyre fine with them at home?
Yeah, Wormo. Apparently the kind at restaurants freak her out, something about the texture.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I don't know.

I thought I was afraid of bugs, but not really.

I thought I was afraid of height, but I ended up parachuting, and standing on a 20ft ladder for 10 minutes without any suport acting out a scene for a film... (that was pretty nerve-racking, really, but I did it).

I thought I was claustrophobic, but not really. I've been stuck in an elevator before. While it wasn't pleasant, I didn't freak out either.

I thought I was afraid of vicious animals or small critters.... not really, althrough I have an irrational dislike of monkeys.

I am not afraid of death.

I think, in all honesty, I am afraid to be alone. Even at my most quiet, introspective moment, I want to know that I'm not alone. I think I'd kill myself first if I knew I was the only person alive on Earth after a nuclear holocaust or something.

wurdwise

Banned
Reaction score
I can't be trapped anywhere. I get nervous when the elevator takes too long. I won't go on a long road trip in a car, I'd go nuts. My kids used to hold me down and tickle my feet and I'd go ballistic. I gotta be free.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Something that really bothers me:

The feel of a finger rubbing across certain kinds of nylon. The sound it makes is like nails on a chalkboard for me. Seriously, I can handle the chalkboard thing better.

trumancoyote

My Name is Sweet Thing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janetismeantome.com
I get really, really freaked out when I'm wet in a circumstance wherein I shouldn't be wet. That is, taking showers is OK, swimming is bearable... random water balloons, they are not. Yeek.

I'm also afraid of big open places. But then, if it's a big open place, and there are lots of people around, I'm OK. I just need to feel crowded for some reason.

Oh yeah, and then there's failure :)

But that's a whole other thread. Hah :Thumbs:

Last edited:

Celeste

Banned
Reaction score
Yes! I do have a phobia! Roller coasters! I hate 'em!

The last time I was on a roller coaster I was 14. Scared the *hit outta' me. I've never gone on one since.:scared:

But...I don't know...Now that I'm older, I might consider going on one to see if it still scares me. :Shrug:

Shiny_Penguin

665:Neighbor of the Beast
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bellaonline.com
Really scared of heights. Not too fond of spiders and big snakes. Don't like mice, but I've had pet rats, so go figure.

Fractured_Chaos

Distra-- Ooh! Shiny!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have a fear of heights, per se. More of a fear of falling. I can ride a plane, even a glass elevator*, and it doesn't bother me. But you cannot get me to climb a ladder, or those metal stairs you can see through.

Mind you, stack a bunch of boxes, and I can climb them up to the roof (and that's probably not as steady as the ladder). Getting me back down is another issue entirely, though.

Not sure, but I think it was caused by falling off the side of a mountain when I was 5.

Edit: Back you evil typo demons! Back! Back! I say!

thistle

Hipster Doofus
Registered
Reaction score
I hate big bugs. We used to live on the Gulf coast in Texas where they have these flying wood roaches--people in Florida call them "palmetto bugs." Outside of tourist areas, they call them what they are--roaches. These nasty 1 1/2-inch buggers fly. It's supposed to make you feel better that they live in the trees, not your house. They just come in for snacks and then leave, I guess.

We would leave the porch light on at night and these flying roaches would cluster around it. I kept a can of Raid by the door and I would blindly spray them. They'd fly around and bounce off the walls, then die. When all was quiet again, I'd leave the house.

Those bugs seriously, seriously freak me out. :eek:

The best thing about living in the North: the bugs have the good sense to die in the fall. In the South, they just get bigger. The second best thing: no mosquitos on Christmas.

Blech. Now my skin is crawling. I hate that.

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
Public speaking and going to the dentist. And I'm semi-claustrophobic too.

So you won't catch me giving a speech to a bunch of folks about the joys of dentistry in a cave. I mean, EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.