PDA

View Full Version : Phobias :O!

Wormo
04-28-2005, 12:36 AM
I was just curious as i recently found out that i'm damned scared of air raid sirens! (along side small spaces). I was curious what other people are scared of and what phobias people share?

Sarita
04-28-2005, 12:53 AM
I'm arachnophobic. I don't just mean I don't like spiders. I've had 2 really freaky experiences with them and now even the smallest little guy kills me. My heart starts to race, I try to keep it in sight so that it can't sneak up on me....

Experience #1: 15 years old. Visiting my uncle in Hawaii. I woke up feeling a heavy pressure on my chest and my uncle saying "Sara, don't move. You might scare it." I don't even know what kind it was. It was heavy and huge. Within a second it ran off of me and up the wall. He threw a book at it and it made a splatter the size of a basketball. GROSS!

Experience #2: 19, Living in Peru. Having breakfast at a small table in a small kitchen. A spider, better known as Shelob, came down from the rafters between my room mate and I. It was the size of my hand and it was probably 6 inches from my face. It paralyzed me. It sucked itself back up and never came back down. I stayed outside the house for hours that day. I didn't want to come back in to sleep. We never saw it again, but I always knew it was there, waiting to get me alone!

Nivvie
04-28-2005, 12:59 AM
I'd like to think this classes as a phobia, but I can't be doing with chewing on towels. All I have to do is think of putting a towel in my mouth and I get goosbumps.

I thought about buying some new towels the other day, but when I saw them in the shop I shivered, and left.

Dammit, I'm shivering and cringing now!

Sarita
04-28-2005, 01:11 AM
Oh and I can't stand to touch raw ceramic. Ewww, I get chills thinking about it. (Not so much a phobia as a sensory thing)

Richard
04-28-2005, 01:14 AM
Spiders. Spiders. Spiders. Spiders. To quote George Stobbard of Broken Sword 2:

"There were only three things I didn't like about spiders. The way they looked, the way they moved, and the fact they lived on the same planet as me."

And Saritams - I get exactly the same thing with cotton wool and certain types of doormat.

Sarita
04-28-2005, 01:19 AM
I have a friend who hates touching paper place mats at restaurants. Freaks her out to no end.

Great quote, Richard.

Wormo
04-28-2005, 01:44 AM
I have a friend who hates touching paper place mats at restaurants. Freaks her out to no end.

Only at restaurants, theyre fine with them at home?

Celeste
04-28-2005, 01:46 AM
I don't think I have any phobias. Well, unless this is considered a phobia... I cannot drink without a straw. It drives me crazy if I don't have a straw. I've gotten so used to using a straw that it just feels weird to drink without one. :Shrug:

But other than that, I don't think I have any. I'll have to think about it. Lol...

astonwest
04-28-2005, 01:56 AM
Wasps! Ugh.

Oh, and large bodies of water...swimming pools, lakes, etc...

awatkins
04-28-2005, 02:03 AM
Snakes. Can't look at them on television, can't look at them in pictures, just knowing that they're in the pet store where I buy bird/dog food freaks me out. Can't even bring myself to walk past them. And if I see one in the yard, I'm out of my mind for the rest of the day, and then I have nightmares that night.

I'm sure I'd die if I were bitten. *shudder*

On the other hand, my best friend feels the same way about birds. She won't even come in my house until I promise her the birds are locked in their cages.

aboyd
04-28-2005, 02:08 AM
I was curious what other people are scared of and what phobias people share?Mortality.

Sarita
04-28-2005, 02:12 AM
Only at restaurants, theyre fine with them at home?
Yeah, Wormo. Apparently the kind at restaurants freak her out, something about the texture.

Optimus
04-28-2005, 03:12 AM
Pretty girls and committment scare me.

maestrowork
04-28-2005, 03:19 AM
I don't know.

I thought I was afraid of bugs, but not really.

I thought I was afraid of height, but I ended up parachuting, and standing on a 20ft ladder for 10 minutes without any suport acting out a scene for a film... (that was pretty nerve-racking, really, but I did it).

I thought I was claustrophobic, but not really. I've been stuck in an elevator before. While it wasn't pleasant, I didn't freak out either.

I thought I was afraid of vicious animals or small critters.... not really, althrough I have an irrational dislike of monkeys.

I am not afraid of death.

I think, in all honesty, I am afraid to be alone. Even at my most quiet, introspective moment, I want to know that I'm not alone. I think I'd kill myself first if I knew I was the only person alive on Earth after a nuclear holocaust or something.

Cabria
04-28-2005, 03:21 AM
Heights and bridges. Wonder what fear of bridges is called? Oh yeah, my husband has pms-a-phobia once a month!

Debbie :D

wurdwise
04-28-2005, 03:23 AM
I can't be trapped anywhere. I get nervous when the elevator takes too long. I won't go on a long road trip in a car, I'd go nuts. My kids used to hold me down and tickle my feet and I'd go ballistic. I gotta be free.

tjwriter
04-28-2005, 04:09 AM
Something that really bothers me:

The feel of a finger rubbing across certain kinds of nylon. The sound it makes is like nails on a chalkboard for me. Seriously, I can handle the chalkboard thing better.

trumancoyote
04-28-2005, 08:30 AM
I get really, really freaked out when I'm wet in a circumstance wherein I shouldn't be wet. That is, taking showers is OK, swimming is bearable... random water balloons, they are not. Yeek.

I'm also afraid of big open places. But then, if it's a big open place, and there are lots of people around, I'm OK. I just need to feel crowded for some reason.

Oh yeah, and then there's failure :)

But that's a whole other thread. Hah :Thumbs:

Celeste
04-28-2005, 08:36 AM
Yes! I do have a phobia! Roller coasters! I hate 'em!

The last time I was on a roller coaster I was 14. Scared the *hit outta' me. I've never gone on one since.:scared:

But...I don't know...Now that I'm older, I might consider going on one to see if it still scares me. :Shrug:

Shiny_Penguin
04-28-2005, 05:02 PM
Really scared of heights. Not too fond of spiders and big snakes. Don't like mice, but I've had pet rats, so go figure.

Fractured_Chaos
04-28-2005, 05:11 PM
I don't have a fear of heights, per se. More of a fear of falling. I can ride a plane, even a glass elevator*, and it doesn't bother me. But you cannot get me to climb a ladder, or those metal stairs you can see through.

Mind you, stack a bunch of boxes, and I can climb them up to the roof (and that's probably not as steady as the ladder). Getting me back down is another issue entirely, though.

Not sure, but I think it was caused by falling off the side of a mountain when I was 5.

Edit: Back you evil typo demons! Back! Back! I say!

thistle
04-28-2005, 05:28 PM
I hate big bugs. We used to live on the Gulf coast in Texas where they have these flying wood roaches--people in Florida call them "palmetto bugs." Outside of tourist areas, they call them what they are--roaches. These nasty 1 1/2-inch buggers fly. It's supposed to make you feel better that they live in the trees, not your house. They just come in for snacks and then leave, I guess.

We would leave the porch light on at night and these flying roaches would cluster around it. I kept a can of Raid by the door and I would blindly spray them. They'd fly around and bounce off the walls, then die. When all was quiet again, I'd leave the house.

Those bugs seriously, seriously freak me out. :eek:

The best thing about living in the North: the bugs have the good sense to die in the fall. In the South, they just get bigger. The second best thing: no mosquitos on Christmas.

Blech. Now my skin is crawling. I hate that.

maestrowork
04-28-2005, 05:50 PM
I should seriously move to Florida and make lots of soup...

aka eraser
04-28-2005, 06:28 PM
Public speaking and going to the dentist. And I'm semi-claustrophobic too.

So you won't catch me giving a speech to a bunch of folks about the joys of dentistry in a cave. I mean, EVER.

wurdwise
04-28-2005, 06:31 PM
:roll:

awatkins
04-28-2005, 06:32 PM
:ROFL:

BlueTexas
04-28-2005, 09:07 PM
This is a weird one. I'm afraid of Longhorn Cows.

My father-in-law has a small ranch with some Longhorns and a few horses. When he goes out of town, I'd end up with animal duty, which consisted of feeding the horses, and making sure the cows had water and enough hay.

One time, this rather onrey Longhorn named Lorena got her head wedged in the metal-piped hay bin. I thought she was stuck. She wasn't. Those cows are NOT stupid. They know exactly where the end of their horns are, and just how close to get them to the Yankee girl trying to un-stick the horn of a not really stuck cow.

Oh, how the neighbors must have laughed!

allion
04-28-2005, 09:09 PM
Let's see...crowds are bad news for me. I feel like I will choke in a crowded store.

I used to be afraid of lightning storms, but that seems to have lessened as I got older.

I didn't think I had a fear of heights until I went up the Stratosphere in Las Vegas a few years ago. Now, this viewing level is fenced off, no way I'm going to go anywhere, and all I could do is keep my back against the elevator bank because I thought I was going to get pulled over the edge. Rational - um, no, I don't think so.

I don't like going up ladders, or watching people on ladders.

But I'm fine on a plane.

Spiders are ok as long as they keep their distance. I know they eat bugs, so they can coexist on my ceiling with me. Snakes are fine, but I've only seen them in a zoo-like setting.

Friend of mine had a tarantula as a pet years ago. Found it fascinating, but I didn't pet it.

Karen

Wormo
04-28-2005, 10:58 PM
I didn't think I had a fear of heights until I went up the Stratosphere in Las Vegas

Is that the ride that's on top of the hotel? i'm not sure?

maestrowork
04-28-2005, 11:28 PM
It'd be fun to see someone with a fear of height AND roller coaster AND speed to go on one of those rides in Cedar Point or something. <I'm EVIL>

Imagine the Steel Phantom... 280-foot drop at 100mph.

Poppy
04-29-2005, 02:09 AM
I am afraid of heights, confined spaces, crowds, and certain people sans caffeine.

rhymegirl
04-29-2005, 02:42 AM
Phobias, huh?

Crowds, driving on the highway, sitting in the middle seat in a long row in an auditorium, bugs, airplanes, dentist offices.

Shiny_Penguin
04-29-2005, 03:06 AM
It'd be fun to see someone with a fear of height AND roller coaster AND speed to go on one of those rides in Cedar Point or something. <I'm EVIL>

You know what's odd? I'm afraid of heights (to the point that I will not drive to NJ from PA because I'd have to drive on a bridge over the Delaware River and you can't--well, shouldn't-- do that with your eyes closed), but I love roller coasters.

astonwest
04-29-2005, 04:04 AM
I'm only fearful of heights when I'm not in some sort of complete enclosure...
Roller coasters, ferris wheels...ugh...

Yet, airplanes and tall buildings (even when looking at the ground), no problem...

Celeste
04-29-2005, 04:16 AM

I love speed, like going real fast on a motor cycle... Heights don't seem to bother me. But there's something about roller coasters...http://bestsmileys.com/scared/8.gif

And that's where it all began...Cedar Point!

allion
04-29-2005, 08:01 PM
Is that the ride that's on top of the hotel? i'm not sure?

No, this was just being up on the viewing level. It's similar to the CN Tower in Toronto, but not as high (or I would never go up there!)

I did see people on the Big Shot ride at the top, which is basically a drop ride where you can experience zero G for a very brief time. They take your picture when the drop happens so your face is usually contorted and your hair all wild.

They also had a roller coaster up there (!) for the adventurous, and now they have some ride where you are off the side of the tower for a bit.

I'll pass, thank ye very much.

Karen

(who was also mortally afraid of the dentist and one corner of my parents' basement for years and years)

Maryn
04-29-2005, 10:53 PM
Highway driving.

Low heights. I'm good on glass elevators and the CN tower, but not the third step of the ladder or the edge of a stage.

Snakes and spiders, to some degree. No sudden moves, guys...

This is a biggie for me: Being stopped on a bridge (in my car) and the bridge moves with wind or traffic. I know the flexible ones are actually stronger, but I envision it crumbling beneath me. Hey, it's New York, where these things have actually happened...

Not so much my own death or even my husband's, but either of our kids'. That's the worst. I can not sleep until they're home--I'm more rested when they're at college.

Maryn, worry-wart (wort?)

soloset
04-29-2005, 11:03 PM
(who was also mortally afraid of the dentist and one corner of my parents' basement for years and years)

I still can't walk down the downstairs hallway at my parents' house by myself if it's dark. Haven't been able to since I was a kid. Some unreasoning part of my brain just KNOWS that There Is Something There, lurking in the cold and the dark at the end of that hallway.

I wonder if these spots are really haunted, or if it's just an overactive imagination?

My biggest phobia is worms. All worms. Mostly maggots, the slimy, writhing, mindless things. I don't know why; when I was a kid I used to eat dirt all the time. Hmm. That didn't come out quite right.

So I'm using the horrible squirming things in my WIP as a sign of the bad guy. Maybe it'll help me get over it. :D

aka eraser
04-30-2005, 12:56 AM
Gee soloset, worms are our friends. They are a proud and noble animal. They unflinchingly (okay, somewhat-flinchingly) sacrifice themselves so that we might catch fish.

Godblessem.

Nivvie
04-30-2005, 01:27 AM
I'm developing a fear of flies.

I have a few bad experiences. We moved to a new area we didn't know once and it turned out there was a small maggot farm on the other side of the hill. They had entrails delivered from the slaughterhouse and they let them decompose in vats, then scooped the maggots and sold them for fishermen. The problem was in the summer they hatched quicker than they could scoop them, and they's escape the building and the whole area, everywhere you looked there were flies.

Now I am working in a mortuary, and every time there is an open door they aim for us. Flies can smell meat from over a mile away, and they wait by the door, circling, waiting to come in.

I'm gonna stop typing now...I wouldn't want the flies to read it and start plotting against me....don't underestimate them....

rosewood
04-30-2005, 01:34 AM
Every night before I go to sleep, I have this routine. I check for spiders around my bed and under my pillow. It's funny though when I am out in my garden and I see a spider I don't have a problem with them and I often catch myself thinking that they are rather interesting creatures.

Also, I can't sit in the middle seats at the movie theater. It is especially tramatic when every seat is taken in the row and I am surrounded by people. I feel so trapped!

Sarita
04-30-2005, 01:53 AM
Every night before I go to sleep, I have this routine. I check for spiders around my bed and under my pillow. It's funny though when I am out in my garden and I see a spider I don't have a problem with them and I often catch myself thinking that they are rather interesting creatures.

The average human consumes 8 spiders a year in their sleep.... Don't stop checking...

Gehanna
04-30-2005, 02:04 AM
Big fuzzy eyebrows scare the hell outa me. They look like hairy, mutant caterpillars sitting on someone's face.

soloset
04-30-2005, 02:16 AM
Gee soloset, worms are our friends. They are a proud and noble animal. They unflinchingly (okay, somewhat-flinchingly) sacrifice themselves so that we might catch fish.

Godblessem.

That's the worst of it. I don't *hate* worms. I appreciate that they aerate the soil, in the same way I appreciate spiders for eating other bugs. But the thought of worms touching me is enough to shut my brain down in panic. So I can't hate them, but I still loathe them.

We moved to a new area we didn't know once and it turned out there was a small maggot farm on the other side of the hill. They had entrails delivered from the slaughterhouse and they let them decompose in vats, then scooped the maggots and sold them for fishermen.

You have officially horrified me beyond belief. They have FARMS for them? Ick, ick, oh, ick, ick, ick, ick. Ick again. This makes me want to go hide in the closet, except I'm pretty sure there's a ghost in our closet.

maestrowork
04-30-2005, 02:18 AM
The average human consumes 8 spiders a year in their sleep.... Don't stop checking...

Yum.... Sara, I know you like spiders while you sleep....

^99^

Sarita
04-30-2005, 02:20 AM
Yum.... Sara, I know you like spiders while you sleep...^
You shouldn't even joke about it! That's one of the many reasons I don't sleep at night :(

(shhhhhh, Ray!)

rhymegirl
04-30-2005, 02:28 AM
Oh, Sara, is that true? Eating spiders while you sleep? I'll never sleep again! We have a number of spiders in this house. Some flying ants, too.

Sarita
04-30-2005, 02:32 AM
Well, Kate! I just googled it and the estimates range from 4-10 spiders a year. And it's really inhaling, not so much eating.

three seven
04-30-2005, 02:34 AM
Not sure, but I think it was caused by falling off the side of a mountain when I was 5.Yeah, that'll do it ;)

I'm ok climbing a ladder until I get near the top and close to the wall, at which point I become rigid with terror and fall back down to the ground. So ladders are best avoided.
Heights are fine, and I can happily be on the edge of a tall building/cliff/whatever, provided I'm either holding onto something immoveable or, preferable, lying down. As (someone) pointed out, it's not the height - it's the fall.

Spiders, moths, gnats, locusts, mayflies, grasshoppers, crickets, cockroaches, and anything with wings and an exoskeleton can all f**k off and leave me alone or I'll cry.

Anything that really, really hurts.

Oh, and clowns.

Can't think of any bizarre phobias, although my gf is utterly terrified of Daleks. Which don't even exist. :crazy:

Fractured_Chaos
04-30-2005, 02:50 AM
Highway driving.

I have the same problem, but I don't think it's a phobia, but more a sense of self-preservation. There be some scary-a$$ed people driving at high speeds on them things.:scared:

arrowqueen
04-30-2005, 04:55 AM
Catheter tubes.

Don't ask.

arrowqueen
04-30-2005, 05:03 AM
Not awfully keen on flying. (I know if a boat sinks, I can swim. I know if a plane crashes, I sure as hell can't fly.) I also dislike anything that has more than its fair share of legs. (Or teeth, for that matter. The Osmonds are a point in case.)
Really, really hate stepping on slugs in my bare feet. (They squish between your toes.)

On the other hand, I do quite like mice, rats, frogs, toads, snakes and bats.

Renee
04-30-2005, 10:54 AM
My phobia = heights. Anything very tall -- that I might have to climb up...forgetaboutit. Rollercoasters freaked me out for the longest time, but then I'd ride anyway. Thought I was gonna die everytime though..

Narrow spaces..and people that get one inch from the front of my face when talking...lol.. Ok, so I believe in that "this is my personal space," crap..

SeanDSchaffer
04-30-2005, 12:37 PM
The only phobia I suffer from really is Hydrophobia (Fear of water), although I admit I am also terrified of elevators thanks to an experience inside one back in 1992. But that's not because of a phobia; before my experience I loved elevators.

Oh, and I do suffer from an inordinant fear of heights -- falling actually, if you want to be technical.

Nivvie
04-30-2005, 08:57 PM
Yum.... Sara, I know you like spiders while you sleep....

^99^

When I was a kid I stayed round a friend's house and when she spat after cleaning her teeth in the morning it had bits of legs in it.
She didn't sleep properly for months after that.

M. Story
04-30-2005, 09:37 PM
I'm afraid of tunnels--underwater tunnels are the worst. I become a basket case when I find I'm on a vacation route that will inevitably have a mile or longer tunnel ahead that I cannot avoid. I'd be tempted go 50 miles out of my way just to avoid them.

I also fear snakes, public speaking, dental & doctor visits, and thought I'm not afraid of death, it's the process of getting there that freaks me out!

Marlene

awatkins
04-30-2005, 09:42 PM
When I was a kid I stayed round a friend's house and when she spat after cleaning her teeth in the morning it had bits of legs in it.
She didn't sleep properly for months after that.

!!!!!! OM, I don't even want to think about what that was or how it got there. Bet she learned to sleep with her mouth closed!! Um, thanks, Nivvie, for sharing this. :faint:

maestrowork
04-30-2005, 10:02 PM
I was just telling Sara a story. I grew up in a tropical place. When I was a kid, one night I jerked awake with a sensation in my mouth. I spat it out and turned on the light. A cockroach bigger than my thumb stared back at me near my toe. My brother came over and squashed it with his slipper, roach juice everywhere....

Thus my current profession as the bug chef...

BlueTexas
04-30-2005, 10:31 PM
I also fear snakes, public speaking, dental & doctor visits, and thought I'm not afraid of death, it's the process of getting there that freaks me out!

Marlene

I used to be afraid of snakes. Then I got married. On our honeymoon, we visited for a couple days with my husband's family. Turns out he had a snake that was residing as a 'pet snake' in a relative's 7th grade classroom that needed to come home with us. I remained calm, thinking, 'it can't be too bad if it's in a classroom.'

It was an eight foot boa constrictor.

It gets worse. Shortly after that, there was an ice storm where we lived and we lost power for days. The snake, of course, was cold-blooded, and would have died quickly with no heat. How did we keep the snake alive?

We put him in a pillowcase and the damn thing slept between us in the bed.

I'm no longer afraid of snakes!

Sarita
04-30-2005, 10:50 PM
I was just telling Sara a story.
And don't even think for a minute that you grossed me out. Come on Ray! Bring it on!!! :D

M. Story
04-30-2005, 11:19 PM
How did we keep the snake alive?

We put him in a pillowcase and the damn thing slept between us in the bed.

I'm no longer afraid of snakes!

I would have asked for an annulment. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/eek.gif You must've been very much in love, as there would have been positively, absolutely NO WAY that I would let any kind of snake sleep in the same bed with me, even in a pillowcase!!! http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoticonsscared.gifEEK!

Marlene

maestrowork
04-30-2005, 11:28 PM
And don't even think for a minute that you grossed me out. Come on Ray! Bring it on!!! :D

You're just pretending! It took you three days to recover.

:D

rhymegirl
05-01-2005, 12:22 AM
Oh, here's another phobia: Editors rejecting my work.

Wormo
05-01-2005, 04:00 PM
I was just telling Sara a story. I grew up in a tropical place. When I was a kid, one night I jerked awake with a sensation in my mouth. I spat it out and turned on the light. A cockroach bigger than my thumb stared back at me near my toe.

I'm sure alot of people already know this but the average human consumes 8 spiders in their lifetime when they are sleeping.

Sarita
05-01-2005, 04:06 PM

Wormo- Have you stopped reading through your whole thread, Silly! :)

Wormo
05-01-2005, 04:10 PM
Wormo- Have you stopped reading through your whole thread, Silly! :)

I drift in and out :o. Plus, how can I focus when i'm working on all my works of art ;)

Sarita
05-01-2005, 04:11 PM
Excellent point... hmmm, focus. What is that?

mmm... pancakes
05-01-2005, 04:26 PM
My biggest phobia is worms. All worms. Mostly maggots, the slimy, writhing, mindless things. I don't know why; when I was a kid I used to eat dirt all the time. Hmm. That didn't come out quite right.

So I'm using the horrible squirming things in my WIP as a sign of the bad guy. Maybe it'll help me get over it. :D

I recently read a story in a Chinese newspaper. It was about a man who went to the doctor because the itch in his ear had worsened. The doctor pulled more than twenty maggots from his ear. He reckoned a fly must've laid in his ear when he was sleeping.

(where's the smiley for puking quietly into a bucket?)

Wormo
05-01-2005, 04:29 PM
I recently read a story in a Chinese newspaper. It was about a man who went to the doctor because the itch in his ear had worsened. The doctor pulled more than twenty maggots from his ear. He reckoned a fly must've laid in his ear when he was sleeping.

(where's the smiley for puking quietly into a bucket?)

This reminds me of the 'Taco Bell' story, a Taco Bell somewhere in America (I Can't remember the exact location anymore) had recently had an infestation of cockroaches. Once the fast food store had been re-opened this women ordered a taco. About a week later she went to the doctor and found out that she had loads of cockroaches crawling around inside of her because they had laid eggs inside the taco.

mmm... pancakes
05-01-2005, 04:32 PM
This reminds me of the 'Taco Bell' story, a Taco Bell somewhere in America (I Can't remember the exact location anymore) had recently had an infestation of cockroaches. Once the fast food store had been re-opened this women ordered a taco. About a week later she went to the doctor and found out that she had loads of cockroaches crawling around inside of her because they had laid eggs inside the taco.

I was under the impression she'd been counter-sued for making the whole thing up. Or was that the woman with the finger in the salsa. This world is full of sickos.

Wormo
05-01-2005, 04:40 PM
I was under the impression she'd been counter-sued for making the whole thing up. Or was that the woman with the finger in the salsa. This world is full of sickos.

I think most of them are Urban Legends, if the whole cockroach incident had been true I don't thin Taco Bell would still be as recognised as it is today.

maestrowork
05-01-2005, 06:45 PM

A friend of mine, when he was working in Barbados, had a bug crawl inside his ear while he was sleeping. He got a really bad ear infection that lasted for months. When they finally got the bug out, it was still alive...

Then I was watching this story on Discovery, I think... about deadly animals or something. I don't remember the details, but this guy in the Amazon, I believe, had these flies laying eggs all over his body, just under his skin. He was gravely ill and eventually he took matters in his own hands, literally. He knived the maggots out of his skin... over 200 of them... before he reached the hospital...

maestrowork
05-01-2005, 06:47 PM

That's probably a hoax or urban legend. Cockroach eggs won't hatch inside a person's body. Your stomach acid would have killed them all.

rhymegirl
05-01-2005, 07:14 PM
Do you have first-hand experience with that Ray?

Sarita
05-01-2005, 07:16 PM
Our resident Bug Chef, Extraordinaire...

maestrowork
05-01-2005, 07:25 PM
I grew up in South Asia, where cockroaches roam free and abundant. I'm sure I've eaten quite a few things with the eggs or what not. I try not to think about it, though.

aboyd
05-01-2005, 07:33 PM
Well, if we're going to talk about creepy critters getting inside our bodies, my vote for most insidious and evil goes to the Candiru (http://www.niagarafallsreporter.com/hanchette45.html). All those moms who warned their kids not to pee in the water were onto something, really.

-Tony

JanaLanier
05-01-2005, 10:15 PM
Someone should change the name of this thread from "phobias" to "icky urban myths about bugs, eeew."

Phobias: clowns give me the willies. They're so sinister. Which explains why my children have never gone to the circus.

Plus I have a sensory issue about lips and teeth on paper napkins. Makes my skin crawl. Thank God for cloth napkins!!!

BlueTexas
05-01-2005, 10:21 PM
I am so thoroughly icked out about all forms of bugs now. We should all go buy stock in Raid orBlack Flag.

And to think, I used to like spiders--well, the fact that they eat other bugs, anyway.

Maryn
05-02-2005, 12:09 AM
It's okay, BlueTexas, you can still like bats. They eat bugs, too.

Maryn, who has an empty bat house

BlueTexas
05-02-2005, 12:12 AM
oooh...bats. I like bats.

M. Story
05-02-2005, 01:27 AM
oooh...bats. I like bats. A few years ago I was living alone in my big old house wayyyyy out in the country in West Virginia. The house had been unoccupied for several years before I moved back in. Every night right after dark, I could hear noises upstairs and for a long time I couldn't figure out what it was. I'd go up to check and never could see anything.

One night I left the hall light on at the bottom of the stairs, and a bat flew into an empty box that was on top of a pile of boxes next to the front door. I was scared because rabies was a great possibility; I knew of someone who had gotten bit by a bat and had died.

I still had to do what I had to do. I heard bats are blind so I kept the light on, took a rug and covered the top of the box, and then carefully placed it on the front porch, lifted the rug & ran back inside the house. The bat was gone by morning, thank God!

I think the bat was after mice in the old farmhouse, or else it was attacking a snake (or snakes) that were after the mice, too. I found snakeskins upstairs on 3 separate occasions and it creeped me out, because I never actually saw one in the house, but knew they were there--somewhere (gulp!). I did see black snakes outside though on occasion.

Then there was always deer ticks & the threat of Lyme disease. Gosh, when I think about it, no wonder I'm a "nervous Nora."http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoticonsscared.gif

Enough of that... I did think of one other phobia I have--I am afraid of the month of MAY! Bad things seem to happen to me in that month more than any other. I have a LONG list of awful events--everything from surgery to my father's death, to my son having his toes cut off when mowing the lawn & more! I do believe Romans 8:28, but I still cringe whenever the month arrives and breathe a sigh of relief when it is over.

Marlene
I apologize for the longwinded post... http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_1_209.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZZzebXXX)

WVWriterGirl
05-02-2005, 06:53 AM
Argh. Phobias. I only have a couple, but living in rural WV, they're biggies.

I've never seen Texas Chansaw Massacre, and I never will, because I have a morbid, heart-stopping fear of chainsaws. I can't stand the sound, sight or smell of a chainsaw. So much so that if a tree needs cutting down, I have to leave. If the saw is being started after a long, dormant winter, I have to go inside and turn up the music or take a shower or something to drown out the sound. Getting nauseous (sp?) just thinking about it.

The second is flying, stinging insects. I can handle butterflies and moths and such, but get them derned wasps, bees, etc away from me. I'm not allergic, and I know it wouldn't even hurt that bad to be stung, but its just...ick...

The last is driving on the highway, but only in certain circumstances. I get panic attacks when I pass a single car in broad daylight on the interstate ("four-lane" as we call it). I can handle passing a large line of cars, or even passing several tractor-trailers, but one single car, especially an old beater going slow, and I'm in full-on panic mode.

That's it for me...

WVWG

Marisa Louise
05-02-2005, 09:38 AM
I can't believe I didn't see anyone else post this phobia, here!

SHARP...... OBJECTS! More specifically, sharp objects being pointed at me. it can be the point of a mechanical or normal pencil, scissors closed, a needle, a shishkabob skewer... anything that is sharp and pointy looking gives me the chlls! My friends used to torture me with that and I just freak out. My body almost convulses and my neck tightens and goes to the right three times and then I shiver in my shoulders, my deltoids tense up and I jump back and get really, really ticked off!

But shots are an entirely different story. I get myself so entirely worked up with those that I almost always feel like I'm going to pass out afterwards and I get extremely pale, my heart races and if I get worked up enough, I feel like I need to....never mind, it's just terrible. I get sick.

That and being behind people. I really hate it when I'm walking and I'm behind people. It causes me to almost stop breathing and I get really tense and angry. As soon as I pass the people and I am in front of whoever I was behind, I can breathe and feel much better. It's strange!

M. Story
05-02-2005, 06:14 PM
I can't believe I didn't see anyone else post this phobia, here!

SHARP...... OBJECTS! More specifically, sharp objects being pointed at me. it can be the point of a mechanical or normal pencil, scissors closed, a needle, a shishkabob skewer... anything that is sharp and pointy looking gives me the chlls!

So I surmise that your Indian name is: "doesn'trunwithscissors." http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

BlueTexas
05-02-2005, 09:59 PM
I would have asked for an annulment. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/eek.gif You must've been very much in love, as there would have been positively, absolutely NO WAY that I would let any kind of snake sleep in the same bed with me, even in a pillowcase!!! http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoticonsscared.gifEEK!

Marlene

In the end, I beat the phobia by realizing the snake's right to be alive was more improtant than my fear of the snake. So anyway, that's how to beat a snake phobia.

Marisa Louise
05-03-2005, 08:02 AM
So I surmise that your Indian name is: "doesn'trunwithscissors." http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

LOL... Yeah.... but I guess it also means I just don't like pricks! :ROFL:

M. Story
05-03-2005, 04:28 PM
But shots are an entirely different story. I get myself so entirely worked up with those that I almost always feel like I'm going to pass out afterwards and I get extremely pale, my heart races and if I get worked up enough, I feel like I need to....never mind, it's just terrible. I get sick.
I detest SHOTS, too! From a child to a grown woman, I'd make myself sick and be so anxious every time I had a doctor appointment. You knew that you were always going to get a shot or two when you had to go for your yearly exam for school. I would have been a nurse, but at that time student nurses would have to practice giving shots to each other. Now they use oranges, but if they did that years ago, I may be in the nursing profession today. Oh well.... I've enjoyed my life as a bag lady.... I feel fulfilled...http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

TheNightTerror
05-04-2005, 06:23 PM
For me, I'm very phobic of needles intended for me. I can be around them, it's just an object, but when I have to get either a vaccination or blood taken out, I go nuts. Last time it happened, it wasn't pretty. My eyelid was swelling up on me, I couldn't get into my regular doctor, so I went to the hospital so at least someone could look at it. They told me they needed blood, I had no say in the matter, if I didn't go to the lab, they'd bring the needle to me, and they refused to let me leave. Naturally, I was freaking out way too much to go to the lab, so they brought the needle to me.

I went ballistic, they had one person pinning my left arm, another one on my upper right arm, yet another had my lower right arm, but they never got my feet. I was screaming bloody murder and just thrashing my legs around so nobody could fully pin me, and when the lady with the needle came in the room, she nearly got kicked in the face before she helpfully pointed out: "someone's going to get hurt if you don't calm down."

Finally, after I nearly took out that same nurse with my flying feet, they used some kind of little gun thing (I think it was the kind diabetics have to use) to cut open my finger, and I made a pact never to let that happen again.

Another one, I don't know if it's a flat out phobia or not, is not having my feet on something solid. I could spend an entire day on a roller coaster, but throw me on a ride where my feet aren't on the ground, and I'm a nervous wreck. If I'm on something I need to jump off of, I need to be able to reach the ground with one of my feet, or else I can't do it. It's pretty weird. :Wha:

Fractured_Chaos
05-04-2005, 07:10 PM

Actually, the stomach acid would make that impossible.

There is a story similar to that in Snopes, too. (http://www.snopes.com/horrors/insects/insects.htm#tacobell)

aboyd
05-04-2005, 08:20 PM
I went ballistic, they had one person pinning my left arm, another one on my upper right arm, yet another had my lower right arm, but they never got my feet. I was screaming bloody murder and just thrashing my legs around so nobody could fully pin me, and when the lady with the needle came in the room, she nearly got kicked in the face before she helpfully pointed out: "someone's going to get hurt if you don't calm down."I don't understand why they would even bother. If I were a doctor and my patient was freaking out over a shot, I'd just pull away and say "no shot, no treatment." Let the person mull that over for a while. Weird.

Nivvie
05-04-2005, 09:29 PM
I don't understand why they would even bother. If I were a doctor and my patient was freaking out over a shot, I'd just pull away and say "no shot, no treatment." Let the person mull that over for a while. Weird.

Yep.
'Refused' is what we write under such circumstances. If they really want not to get flu or to go to India on holiday, they soon toughen up. However, usually it's only well people that freak out that much, the truly ill let you get on with it, most are oblivious.
I'm a big fan of butt cheek injections, get 'em when they're not looking.

The problem is taking blood, that often has be done and it requires an arm.
It really doesn't help when it takes a few attemps to hit the spot. Some people have the crappiest vessels.

M. Story
05-04-2005, 10:34 PM
I'm a big fan of butt cheek injections, get 'em when they're not looking. The problem is taking blood, that often has be done and it requires an arm. It really doesn't help when it takes a few attemps to hit the spot. Some people have the crappiest vessels.

So am I a fan of butt cheek injections. Would always ask to have a shot there instead of in the arm. Have had many shots, and a lot of blood drawn, so I don't freak out as much anymore. Once you've had major surgery, that's the least of your worries.

I feel sincerely sorry for the one who is so phobic that she would thrash around while they're trying to draw blood. (I do feel sorry for the docs & nurses, too, of course.) I say get it over with ASAP and be done with it. When you're filled with fear, that's always worse than the actual procedure, which is over in just a brief minute or two, if that. I have a very vivid imagination, and it works against me when I have a dental or doctor appt. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoticonfaint.gif

Marlene
aka Nervous Nora

TheNightTerror
05-05-2005, 02:31 PM
However, usually it's only well people that freak out that much, the truly ill let you get on with it, most are oblivious.

Ain't that the truth. Ironically enough, it turned out that when they did get the blood out of me, I was completely fine, and my eyelid was fine within a few days. The problem has come and gone a few times since, it's weird. :Wha:

The problem is taking blood, that often has be done and it requires an arm.
It really doesn't help when it takes a few attemps to hit the spot. Some people have the crappiest vessels.

That's one of the things I was scared of. It seems like every time I see docs from around here trying to get blood from someone, (who's almost always related to me) they have to jab them several times, odds are my veins aren't going to be easy to deal with, either. :o

I feel sincerely sorry for the one who is so phobic that she would thrash around while they're trying to draw blood. (I do feel sorry for the docs & nurses, too, of course.) I say get it over with ASAP and be done with it.

Believe me, if I could stop it, I would, but I'm beginning to think I won't ever trust the doctors here enough to let them near me when they have a needle. I'd probably have to move to another town and actually get some trust built up with a doctor. I'd probably feel alot better if I actually saw them using a needle that was definitely new, because I have had vaccinations from needles I saw used on other people before. Seems like a good way to spread diseases around, unless I've missed something.

When you're filled with fear, that's always worse than the actual procedure, which is over in just a brief minute or two, if that.

Mmmm, definitely the truth. I've probably had at least a couple panic attacks just thinking about getting my wisdom teeth pulled, I'll be put under and won't be awake for the needles, but I'm still freaking out over the idea of getting them at all. Hell, the idea of them drilling into my gums isn't scaring me as much as the idea of those damned needles. :Wha:

I have a very vivid imagination, and it works against me when I have a dental or doctor appt. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoticonfaint.gif

Marlene
aka Nervous Nora

Me too, me too. :) Most of the time my mind's just thinking up some kind of story just for something to do, if I'm going to be going to a doctor's appointment, I always think of the worst possible scenario that could happen, so when the appointment is done with, I can say, 'hey, that wasn't so bad.' But, when it's going to definitely going to be bad, or hurt at least, my morbid imagination puts me straight through hell and back. :tongue

M. Story
05-12-2005, 01:14 AM
I am afraid of the month of MAY! Bad things seem to happen to me in that month more than any other.

I wrote the above words at the beginning of the month, and now 11 days into it, I thought, hey, I'm doing good--no major problems. This MAY may be different than so many, many other Mays. WRONG!!! YIKES! No wonder I"m paranoid!!! http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoticonsscared.gif http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/eek.gif <deep breaths,,,,deep breaths...where is that paper bag??...puff, puff, pufffff>

This has been my day so far...
I had an allergic reaction this morning from some unknown substance,
ended up at the E.R.,
had to drive myself to the hospital 15 miles away,
the cable tv, radio, and telephones were all having problems because of atmospheric conditions when
a severe storm moved through the area,
while I was getting ready to go to the hospital, I came within an inch of a big spider that decided to hang around on the bathroom door handle (may he rest in peace),
some guy flipped me off & swore at me because I was only doing the speed limit (in a known speed-trap area)...
Went to the drive-thru pharmacy & no one would come to the window,
After a long wait, I left & went to another farther away, making me late for a physical therapy appt., (ended up being 2-1/2 hrs. late)
had to wait over an hour for the Rxs to be filled, instead of the 20 min. they said it would take...

The good news:
I'm alive, & doing better...
they didn't admit me to the hospital but sent me home with steroids, and prescriptions for an inhaler, more steroids, and Zyrtec.
Also, for having to wait so patiently at the pharmacy, they gave me $10 off my meds.
I'd never been flipped off before, so I am now in that elite group http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
and
my husband is bringing home Chinese food for dinner , so I don't have to cook.
I'm happy, but still wary of the month of May...it's not even half over, so stay tuned...

Anyone else have a day like that recently??? Any other phobias... This is too good a thread to let it die. Talking about it often helps overcome our fears.

Marlene

gogoshire
05-12-2005, 01:49 AM
Tilda,
ME, TOO! I have the same phobia, though I was never going to post it here because I'm newish and people usually find me to be quite odd when I freak out in front of them. Fluttery-phobia, huh? I've never named it. I'm also afraid of moths. Are you, too? I fear anything with big wings that doesn't fly in a straight line. Dragonflies? Oh, yeah. Way scary.

The origin?
When I was 10, a butterfly landed on top of my head. The summer camp counselor told me to freeze so it wouldn't fly away, and the other kids gathered around to observe. I could sort of see it out of the corner of my eye. Unfortunately, it's wing became caught in my thick hair. Probably scared, the butterfly started flapping wildly and its wing ripped. Without wings, it's a big ol' scary bug. I started to scream, "Get it out!" and I began to run frantically into an open field where a baseball game was being played. I don't know what happened exactly other than the bug died on my head and the counselor had to comb bug guts out of my hair. I cried inconsolably, and the camp called my mother to pick me up early.

Major trauma.

From that moment on, my life had changed.

Because of this incident, I became afraid of butterflies and moths, who also don't fly in a normal pattern (give me a wasp any day; at least I know where it's going), and the natural pecking order of my family was instantly revised. I lost my alpha standing with my younger siblings, who from then on captured the moths circling the porch lamp and chased me around the house with them. I remember locking myself in the bathroom on numerous occasions, sobbing hysterically, while my brother and sister taunted me outside in the hall, threatening to push the moths through the crack at the bottom of the door. This is still brought up at family gatherings to the great amusement of everyone but me.

I'm 36 now. Twenty-six years later, the fear has not subsided. I shudder whenever I read an article about how to grow a garden that attracts butterflies, and I will cross the street if I see a dragonfly aimlessly making its way in my direction.

And I never leave the porch light on during the summer.

--Maureen

Lucky Penny
05-12-2005, 02:36 AM
I don't have a fear of heights, per se. More of a fear of falling. I can ride a plane, even a glass elevator*, and it doesn't bother me. But you cannot get me to climb a ladder, or those metal stairs you can see through.

Not sure, but I think it was caused by falling off the side of a mountain when I was 5.

I have the same problem. I'm not really afraid of heights, but if I don't feel secure then I panic. I won't even let my husband pick me up because I'm terrified he'll drop me. I, however, never fell off the side of a mountain. Eeek, how scary!

I also get anxious if I'm in a room with too many people, makes me want to run screaming from the place! lol

TheNightTerror
05-12-2005, 05:46 AM
When I was 10, a butterfly landed on top of my head. The summer camp counselor told me to freeze so it wouldn't fly away, and the other kids gathered around to observe. I could sort of see it out of the corner of my eye. Unfortunately, it's wing became caught in my thick hair.

I had something almost like that happen to me once before. Just with wasps instead of butterflies. One wasp got itself caught in my hair, and the only way to kill him was to hit him. Well, it's more effective to beat something to death when you hit it against something solid, and the friend who was with me had the bright idea of grabbing a bottle and smashing the wasp against my arm. :tongue He was fun to get out of my hair. It didn't bother me as much as the fello who flew around my eyes, though. He got close enough that when I shut my eyes, I caught his wing with my eyelids, and he ended up stinging the hell out of me. He only stung me below my eye, luckily. Oddly enough, I'm not phobic of those bastards, though maybe my needle thing has something to do with them. That's probably stretching it a bit. Still, if I see a wasp, I just grab the biggest, heaviest, blunt object I can find and kill it. Works good.

I lost my alpha standing with my younger siblings, who from then on captured the moths circling the porch lamp and chased me around the house with them. I remember locking myself in the bathroom on numerous occasions, sobbing hysterically, while my brother and sister taunted me outside in the hall, threatening to push the moths through the crack at the bottom of the door. This is still brought up at family gatherings to the great amusement of everyone but me.

That's just plain retarded. You'd think they'd've grown up by now. It's a bloody phobia, it's blood stupid to tease you about it. I can't even imagine how much of a mess I'd be if someone started chasing me around with needles. Geeze! :(

I also get anxious if I'm in a room with too many people, makes me want to run screaming from the place! lol

Same here, although half the time it's just the fact there's human beings around. :) People and I don't always get along, I'd rather be with a herd of my trusty kitties. They're much easier to deal with. :tongue