PDA

View Full Version : My pup's mama was killed!

jennifer75
09-09-2008, 03:07 AM
So the puppy that I've been ranting and raving about for the last 5 weeks, and her three sisters, have been orphaned.

Mama got out, and ventured into the street.....and well.....

They are 5 weeks and while I was planning on taking mine next week, they already have teeth and have shown interest in chewing soft food, now I'm sorta forced to do so sooner.

My problem is the fleas.

I can't properly bathe them to rid them of the fleas yet. Or can I?
I've been told 8 weeks, I've been told 12 weeks....what can you tell me?

I've already called the vet, and they recommended a high calorie food, now I'm just left with the flea concerns.

Salem
09-09-2008, 03:16 AM
Jenn, I'm sorry about your orphans! I don't know what to do about the fleas but I would like to know what kind of puppies they are. Maybe I can come up there and get one, if Mr. Salem will let me!

regdog
09-09-2008, 03:19 AM
It will be best for the puppies to stay together and be bottle fed Puppy Milk Replacer in addition to having soild food introduced. The reason they should stay together is for better social behavior. But if you have to take puppy sooner that is okay given the circumstances. You should use Puppy Milk Replacer as a suppliment for another 2-3 weeks.

If you are concerned about fleas and puppy doesn't already have them there is a cheap easy way to avoid a flea problem. White plastic bowls with water in them. Sounds stupid but fleas are attracted to light they will jump towards the light bowls fall in and drown. If you can get some night lights and place the bowls in front of them, flea drowning pool.

If puppy already has fleas then a bath at that age might be okay but you will have to be careful if you use a groomer because the puppy probably hasn't been vaccinated yet. If you have to bathe puppy yourself there are all natural prodcuts you could use there on a website
Nature's Specialties.mfg our groomer uses their products. Just use a small amount and towel dry and be careful puppy doesn't get a chill.

jennifer75
09-09-2008, 03:24 AM
That's horrible news. I'm not sure about the fleas...but maybe they should see a vet pronto. I was under the impression that they should be with mother for the first 8 weeks. You should make sure that the puppies still get the nutrients they were getting from their mother. Perhaps there are supplements. You were going to get the puppy at 6 weeks?! I've never heard of them leaving the mother at such an early age.

Poor things.

I would just wait to hear what the vet says about the flea concerns too...are you waiting for them to call back?

We were going to take them because they are already pooping, peeing, and chewing on food and because the situation they were in where they were living was not good for them - obviously, the mother was killed.

I have spoken to the vet, and they recommended bringing the pup in at 8 weeks for its first shots and a comb/treatment but not to use flea soap.

I then went online and saw that somebody recommended a warm soapless bath and a combing to remove fleas.

The vet also recommended a brand of food that was high in calories and suppements that would be good for the pups. I'll be getting that this evening and taking it over to them.

jennifer75
09-09-2008, 03:25 AM
Jenn, I'm sorry about your orphans! I don't know what to do about the fleas but I would like to know what kind of puppies they are. Maybe I can come up there and get one, if Mr. Salem will let me!

Oh totally! There is one, possibly 2 available.

It's brown, with light white markings throughout, and is a small breed. Mother was a poodle mix, father is unkown but believed to be a small breed as well. The second that may be available is all black, with a small thread of white on its chest. Both are girls.

This is a twin to the one that is available. Except it has less of a white dot on the head.

http://i36.tinypic.com/2wr3gwn.jpg

jennifer75
09-09-2008, 03:40 AM
I wish you the best of luck with your puppy. Keep it close at night.

Luckily, we just bought a crate yesterday. So we've got a small breed plastic crate ready for it, just have to get a blanky and the other required items (tons of toys :D ) and stuff.

It is so cute! It plays so cute! Tries to act tough already.

JLCwrites
Sorry about the mom. :(

jennifer75
Oh..it's adorable Jennifer!

Oh just wait....let me upload the pic of the one I'm taking...

Salem
09-09-2008, 03:44 AM
She's adorable! I'll let you know soon. :)

jennifer75
09-09-2008, 03:48 AM
Meet Baxter:

http://i33.tinypic.com/15gwawi.jpg

and

http://i36.tinypic.com/296cf87.jpg

Isnt that the cutest little face!

jennifer75
09-09-2008, 03:50 AM
Awesome...park that crate bedside.

Not till I get rid of them fleas.....no fleas in my home, nope, no thanks.

auntybug
09-09-2008, 04:05 AM
You don't need a harsh flea shampoo. With one vet I worked for - we just used a regular shampoo - not a flea one w/ baths. The fleas ingested the soap anyway & croaked. Just be sure to get the head good & check the ears. Good luck! What a cutie! I love how its sticking its tongue at you already...or maybe at us ;)

Beach Bunny
09-09-2008, 04:19 AM
What adorable puppies. :) So sad about the mother, though. :(

There should be some nonchemical way of getting rid of the fleas that won't hurt the puppies. Unfortunately my brain is totally not working and I can't remember what I used to do.

Fillanzea
09-09-2008, 04:25 AM
Flea soap (especially the Hartz brand) has been known to do some nasty, nasty things to pets' nervous systems if they're small and young enough - up to even causing death. My friend's kitten just barely escaped permanent damage.

Little Red Barn
09-09-2008, 04:41 AM
jennifer, baby oil works---try baby oil on a K-tip and you should be able to remove most, slows them down ans safe and so says a good trauma vet here...

ETA: Here (http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf502073.tip.html)

Susie
09-09-2008, 04:45 AM
The puppies are soooooo cute, jenn, sure sorry that happened to the mama. Hope everything works out aok.

Grrarrgh
09-09-2008, 04:50 AM
Baxter is adorable!!!

willfulone
09-09-2008, 05:04 AM
I just want one of the puppies!

sadron
09-09-2008, 07:57 AM
I wish I could help. The Puppy milk replacer is good. I don't know about the fleas. The best of the luck!! Cute puppy!

Elaine Margarett
09-09-2008, 04:25 PM
I was a dog breeder (German shepherds) once upon a time. <g>

Puppies at five weeks are eating (and pooping) independently at this point meaning without Mom's help. Milk replacer can be added as a supplement but beware that if you see diarrhea that's usually an indication of over-feeding or too rich a diet. If the pups were still with mom, she'd be letting them nurse sporatically, mainly to ease Mom's discomfort while her milk dries up. In a fairly large litter the biggest, fastest pups are the ones who nurse the longest because they can catch Mom long enough to get a few quick sucks. (Puppy claws and puppy teeth will have mom shaking them off after a few minutes; plus she knows they don't need her milk at this point.)

Regarding the fleas~ They can actually cause anemia and even death if there are enough of them. You can wash the pup with a mild soap (baby shampoo is perfect as it won't sting their eyes.) If you lather the pup up and let the soap sit for 5 minutes it will sufficate every flea on it's little body; then you can rinse it off. Make sure you do this in a warm, draft-free room. Don't use a blow drier on the puppy, it's really easy to burn their tender skin. And don't take the puppy to a groomer; it's safest for the puppy to do this yourself. The good thing about simply washing the pup besides no pesticides is that you can repeatly bathe the puppy as the need arises.

If the pup is still with it's siblings, naturally all the pups should be bathed at the same time. You can also dust their bedding (Not the pups themselves) with a mild pesticide like Sevin Dust; but if you bathe the pups, throw out the old bedding and start fresh it shouldn't be necessary.

Good luck!
EM

Pagey's_Girl
09-09-2008, 05:13 PM
What a cutie!

Elaine's right - a good gentle soap/baby shampoo should kill the fleas - any kind of soap will destroy the outer coating of the insect and it'll dehydrate and drop dead very quickly. (That's what those "insectidal" soaps do for plants, and yes, they're safe. I don't dare use anything poisonous inside around my birds & fish.) But ask the vet.

Kitrianna
09-09-2008, 07:14 PM
I used a mild dish soap and a flea comb on kittens. I only hope that bathing puppies is easier than kittens...

Elaine Margarett
09-09-2008, 07:48 PM
I used a mild dish soap and a flea comb on kittens. I only hope that bathing puppies is easier than kittens...

They are. Kittens are more agile and squirmy. <g>

jennifer75
09-09-2008, 08:03 PM
Good luck! What a cutie! I love how its sticking its tongue at you already...or maybe at us ;)

I know!!! Isn't that adorable!!

Flea soap (especially the Hartz brand) has been known to do some nasty, nasty things to pets' nervous systems if they're small and young enough - up to even causing death.

I suffered a nasty reaction to the Hartz version of "Frontline" when I applied it to another dog. Not sure how I did it but it got on my face, around my eyes but THANK GOD not in my eyes, but still was very uncomfortable. My face burned and tingles and was horrible. Luckily it went away after a day.

I just want one of the puppies!

Oh you can totally have one! Come on down!

Puppies at five weeks are eating (and pooping) independently at this point meaning without Mom's help.

Regarding the fleas~ They can actually cause anemia and even death if there are enough of them. You can wash the pup with a mild soap (baby shampoo is perfect as it won't sting their eyes.) If you lather the pup up and let the soap sit for 5 minutes it will sufficate every flea on it's little body; then you can rinse it off. Make sure you do this in a warm, draft-free room.

If the pup is still with it's siblings, naturally all the pups should be bathed at the same time. You can also dust their bedding (Not the pups themselves) with a mild pesticide like Sevin Dust; but if you bathe the pups, throw out the old bedding and start fresh it shouldn't be necessary.

Good luck!
EM

Oh thank you thank you thank you for all the tips! I feel much better about bringing her home.

The pups had their first gourmet meal last night, Pedigree Puppy canned food and some dry puppy meal also - YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN THEM EAT!!! It's like they had been waiting for it! Literally! The four of them ate half of one of the 8oz or so cans, with a handful of dry. They loved it!

They are pooping and peeing in the grass and area around their bedding.

I called the vet, a Puppy Package at a local clinic charges $180 for all the first shots up till age 6 months. I'm going to sho around, I'm thinking that a local vet may be higher than my Petco may offer. Who knows.

Either way, I'm better prepared now thanks to all of your advice and tips!!!

Baxter says thanks!!!!

Yeshanu
09-09-2008, 09:10 PM
Do shop around. When I had to have one of my cats put down *sob* I found prices in certain vets to be almost twice as high as the one I ended up with. And they were so compassionate at the one I went to.

Needless to say, I have a new vet now.

Kitrianna
09-09-2008, 09:16 PM
I got lucky when I had to put Ijit down (yes I named a kitten Ijit). The vet waved all the test fees and her own emergency fee. And then she sent a condolence card to boot. Too bad you don't live near me Jen. My vet is great, regardless of the circumstances :)

jennifer75
09-09-2008, 09:47 PM
Do shop around. When I had to have one of my cats put down *sob* I found prices in certain vets to be almost twice as high as the one I ended up with. And they were so compassionate at the one I went to.

Needless to say, I have a new vet now.

I found a local Humane Society branch that does 5 in 1 shots for $18!!!

Kitrianna
09-09-2008, 09:54 PM
That's awesome Jen!

joyce
09-10-2008, 12:50 AM
Your puppy is so cute! So sorry to hear about mama.

jennifer75
09-10-2008, 07:33 PM
Guess who came home last night?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

Guess who likes to play at 1:30 in the morning!?!?!?!?!?!?

Guess who loves to run along in between my feet?!!?!?!?!?!?

Guess who has the sweetest liver breath of all time?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Guess who's got worms!!!???!?!?!?!

Elaine Margarett
09-10-2008, 07:42 PM

Hopefully, not you. <g>

Almost ALL puppies have round worms since they're passed in utero. Be aware fleas cause tape worms which might not show up in a fecal, yet. I'm sure you'll be going back to the vet for followup. They can check then.

Glad your puppy's in a good home!

EM

joyce
09-10-2008, 07:44 PM

Guess who likes to play at 1:30 in the morning!?!?!?!?!?!?

Guess who loves to run along in between my feet?!!?!?!?!?!?

Guess who has the sweetest liver breath of all time?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I can feel the love.:D

jennifer75
09-12-2008, 01:43 AM
Who wants a puppy!?!?!?

Come on ...... you know you do.......

http://i35.tinypic.com/10rr5z5.jpg
http://i33.tinypic.com/2mpxxjt.jpg
http://i37.tinypic.com/wasia0.jpg
http://i34.tinypic.com/29vmk5l.jpg

They're up for grabs!!!

Kitrianna
09-12-2008, 01:47 AM
Oh they're adorable! But I must pass. I don't want my kittens using the cute puppy faces for a scratching post. Zeus is evil...