Pro Spider club

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
Last year I shared my mailbox with a large house spider. This year I'm sharing my tiny front yard with a funnel web who mostly sits in her burrow and waits for dinner. I could wish for a beautiful argiope but do find the different ones fascinating.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
I think spiders are neat-- we used to have a big ol' black and yellow one (my dad called it Shelob) with a massive web built across one of the kitchen windows. That was cool, watching her hang out. When she got spooked, she's make her web swing.

Hubby is a complete arachnophobe though. So if it comes inside, it must be killed. I'm mostly okay with it, because I prefer my nature outside anyway. Hubby is so afraid of spiders he's willing to wake me up (which is best not done without a full suit of armor from a distance of two miles) to kill a spider. Good thing I like the guy.

Harper K

here's to the girl on the go
Registered
Reaction score
Website
weirdquietgirl.wordpress.com
I love spiders, too. I don't know the different types, though. There's a huge one that's made a gigantic web across our front walk this week. It's absolutely amazing. The web spans at least 3 feet, and it's high enough in the air -- suspended by two trees -- that no one's going to bother it.

If spiders get inside, I don't mind. They eat the little gnats and mosquitos that also find their way in. Hubby and I leave them be.

scottVee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
scott.virtes.com
I had such a wild spider last year I couldn't stop taking pictures and chatting about it. It's now long dead but immortalized here:
http://unfuture.blogspot.com/2007/10/freaky-spider-for-halloween.html

You know, if a spider builds a web where you don't want it, you can usually just grab the anchor strands and move it to someplace it won't bother you, rather than killing them as most people are in such a hurry to do.

= scott

Komnena

Registered
Reaction score
There's an interesting book called Spider Boy. Can't remember who the author is but the main character keeps tarantulas as pets.
The funnelwebs are supposed to be common but this is the first time I remember seeing one. The gas people tore her web up while they were working in my yard but she rebuilt it. Clair's spider sounds like an argiope. They are indeed beautiful spiders.

Last edited:

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
The Eight-Legged Women are my friends. They eat flies. :D

Our huntsman (the female of the species) eats redback spiders. That's good. They also eat cockroaches - another tick. They're not poisonous (although I did get a reaction to a bite last year) - that's ok also. When my son was moving furniture a few weeks ago and disturbed a big huntsman, boy, did it show a turn of speed. This one threw itself at Chris. That's hilarious. He jumped over the sofa and fled.

And the St Andrew's Cross is so decorative. But the best thing I sometines have in the mail box is a green treee frog or two.

Komnena

Registered
Reaction score
I know one woman who's terrified of spiders and yet will mow close to a yellowjacket nest. Talk about savage, aggressive little monsters, yellowjackets are it.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
You know, there's clearly a reason why yellowjackets/ hornets/ bees/ etc have black and yellow warning stripes on them. STAY AWAY! I like bees, but I'll just let them do their thing while I go... elsewhere. =)

Komnena

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting names.I've simply referred to each year's web spinner as Charlotte1, Charlotte 2, etc. Maybe I should make a list of names for them instead.

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
OK, TIME FOR A FRIENDLY SPIDER STORY.......

My father had a gray wolf in his garage. The two of them had this great relationship. Dad would catch bugs and throw them into his web, and the gray wolf would be fat and sassy. Until one night......

My parents were lying in their beds fast asleep. Suddenly my mom freaks out and sits up in bed while patting and fidgeting. My dad jumps up and turns on the light. Yep.. you guessed it... Mr. Grey Wolf stopped by for a late night visit.

Dad was never allowed to have spider friends again.

The End

GeorgieB

Almost a wannabe writer
Registered
Reaction score
I love tarantulas -- great big brown hairy pie-plates with legs. Could watch them for hours.

But, leave them outside. I'd move a big spider outdoors if I caught them inside -- small ones become spots on the wall/window/floor.

Komnena

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think the funnelweb made it through the storm. Her web is a tattered mess full of sticks and I've seen no sign she's repairing it. I'm going to miss her pretty white burrow.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard some talk that spiders are the totem animal for the writing profession.

I have a large collection of spider toyes all over my office space, including a big (4' across, tarantula-like markings) spider that hunkers in the corner of the room just above my computer. It's really great fun when people finally notice her sitting there. My housemate got me a remote control spider for Yule last year. I'd play with it more, except the beagle hunts it and carries it off.

Komnena

Registered
Reaction score
Friday morning I saw that Funnicula's burrow is back. I took a picture. She's definitely there and not crumpled in a little dead ball.

selkn.asrai

Rawr.
Registered
Reaction score
We had three different orb spiders (hence a triple-later web) over our glass patio door. They were fascinating to watch at night, and v. interesting in appearance. The webs were those perfect specimens one sees in movies and nature documentaries. i got some great pictures, but they were difficult to take with a puny digital camera. :p

Then one morning, they all disappeared. I suspect the colder weather is the culprit.

Komnena

Registered
Reaction score
There's a second web attached to our lamp outside. I haven't seen its maker yet. Very tentative identification based on web is that it belongs to a bowl and doily spider much smaller than Funnicula. Based on this, I think I will call her Tattie.

Last edited:

ErylRavenwell

Banned
Reaction score
Spiders are great predators of disease-causing bugs and agricultural pests. Fascinating creatures, the lions of the insect world.

ErylRavenwell

Banned
Reaction score
My father had a gray wolf in his garage. The two of them had this great relationship. Dad would catch bugs and throw them into his web, and the gray wolf would be fat and sassy. Until one night......

My parents were lying in their beds fast asleep. Suddenly my mom freaks out and sits up in bed while patting and fidgeting. My dad jumps up and turns on the light. Yep.. you guessed it... Mr. Grey Wolf stopped by for a late night visit.

Dad was never allowed to have spider friends again.

The End

You're Australian Turkey?