Status
Not open for further replies.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
I pick up a chapter, printed up for revisions, and read. The text sparkles, pulls me along, pulls me in. This is what they mean when they say, "Write the book you want to read." Man, I am good!

I pick up the next chapter. Stuffy, stilted language, flaws in logic, plot inconsistencies... I would throw it against the wall, but nobody else would pick up the scattered papers for me. Man, I stink!

Bipolar? Who me? No, why do you ask?

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
Chapter 34 must be long.

auntybug

teh other evil broad
Registered
Reaction score
I am destined for greatness. I'm just pacing mysel
Website
www.junekramin.com
Awesome work...crappy work.... oh look, a chicken....

read it again..you'll like it next time around.

Perhaps I should change my sweatshirt design to "People who don't write..."

add.jpg

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
Yup, I'll be back at it in a few minutes. But I really had to cleanse my palate before I went back to it. I have to pick the good stuff out of there, and rewrite it in a more palatable form.

Young person. I like that. You are my friend. :D

Ol' 61

Registered
Reaction score
Judg, I know just how you feel. I wrote something, but didn't realize it was crap until I was finished. Two weeks later, I look at it, and I think, this isn't so bad. The basic theme of love-as-redemption is clear. Today, there's hope. Tomorrow, I may flush it down the toidy.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
I'm working on it, KTC. I did rework that terrible chapter. Actually, it was nowhere near as bad as a few others that needed to be rewritten from the ground up.

I just find it amusing how I can go from delighted shivers to deep disgust. I'm assuming that no one else will get quite so emotional about it. Sort of like having kids.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I go through this with my writing all the time. The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat all within a few pages of one another. KTC is right though. If you can do the sublime once, you can do it again and rewrite the crap so that it's brilliant.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The hands that write the words have too much shake to judge if the words ring true. Some days they will be severe clear, other days they will blur with bile. The best thing we can do is find a reader with a steely grip and a trustworthy nature.

Last edited:

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
How well I know that seesaw - up one minute, grounded the next. I'm on here stalling right now because I know I have a revision mess to clean up this morning.
Linnea

Susan Lanigan

Registered
Reaction score
re the dud chapter, if it is a dud - maybe rewrite it, but having this one question at the back of your head all the time:

What do I want out of this chapter - where do I want to be when it's finished?

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
I regularly fall in and out of love with what I've written. What bothers me more is when the love/hate happens with the exact same piece of writing. One day it's great, the next day I want to throw it across the room. When that happens, I have to consider whether the issue is my mood or the writing itself. If I'm not in the right frame of mind to judge, it's better to walk away and read it later.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
Susan, I have been finding that kind of question very useful in rewriting. I look at a sentence, paragraph, chapter and ask: what really needs to be here? What's the best way of expressing it? I've axed entire scenes or chapters and found I could tuck the one or two useful bits into a quick off-hand remark somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.