PDA

View Full Version : Computer shuts down- your day's work is lost.

Darzian
09-08-2008, 09:18 PM
How would you react? It has happened to me twice and I all but screamed. Then first time, I lost about 5 pages. The second time, I lost a few sentences. Both instances were a terrible ordeal because I take time to phrase each and every sentence (as I assume the majority of us do).

I can't bear this anymore. I'm going to hit Ctrl+S every minute now.

Shadow_Ferret
09-08-2008, 09:24 PM
I've had computers shut down, but luckily I have MSWord do autosaves and it saves a checkpoint version when the puter crashes. So though I've been inconvenienced by the happening, I can't remember the last time I lost any real data.

Darzian
09-08-2008, 09:30 PM
I've had computers shut down, but luckily I have MSWord do autosaves and it saves a checkpoint version when the puter crashes. So though I've been inconvenienced by the happening, I can't remember the last time I lost any real data.

Does that always work? I am actually running Word 2007 and it does give me back everything at times. I'm so paranoid that I'm saving the manuscript to my 1 gig flash drive every night just in case there is a hard disk failure or something. The possibility of losing the work is just unimaginable.

Shadow_Ferret
09-08-2008, 09:36 PM
I always save everything to my flash drive after I'm done.

Well, except last night and now I'm at work with my flash drive and old data! :(

But the autosave you can set up to save it however often you want.

And if Word crashes, when you reopen, it'll open a crash file of what you were working on.

At least that's the theory. It's worked for me, can't say it'll work for you.

Chumplet
09-08-2008, 09:36 PM
Cripes, that happens at work all the time. The server crashes and if you haven't saved your full page ad with sixty gabillion words in it, you're toast and have to start again.

I remember in the early days, a coworker had a big sign over his computer: SAVE, SAVE, SAVE!!!

My Mac at home hasn't shut down yet, and my Word autosaves, too. So far, so good.

AmusingMuse
09-08-2008, 10:54 PM
How would you react? It has happened to me twice and I all but screamed. Then first time, I lost about 5 pages. The second time, I lost a few sentences. Both instances were a terrible ordeal because I take time to phrase each and every sentence (as I assume the majority of us do).

I would also look into external hard drives. Save it to the external, just in case your system crashes. Great model: SmartDisk 500 GB by Verbatum.

I never work on my desktop when there's a storm either now, just for that exact reason...

TheIT
09-08-2008, 10:56 PM
Save early, save often. Ctrl+S is your friend.

GLAZE_by_KyrstinMc
09-08-2008, 11:04 PM
I hate, hate, hate it when that happens.

So I made it so my word processor autosaves every 2 minutes, haha!

Before I installed that, and it'd crash, I'd usually wallow in self-pity then go distract myself with something else.

BenPanced
09-08-2008, 11:04 PM
Auto save. If that doesn't help, refer to my handwritten notes. Yes, I use a combination of technologies when I write.

Shadow_Ferret
09-08-2008, 11:13 PM
ISo I made it so my word processor autosaves every 2 minutes, haha!

Every 2 minutes? Wow. I'd just find that so annoying because my computer usually stops all processes during that time, which means I'll have typed an entire paragraph before I realize the computer is just sitting there waiting.

SPMiller
09-08-2008, 11:59 PM
Like Shadow Ferret, I use MS Word, so there's almost zero chance of losing even one day's work. The product has improved a lot since the old days.

Now, sometimes it has required a little tech know-how to get a file back after a hardware crash. Like, disc-checking occasionally put the file in the FOUND.000 directory or whatever. But it's easy enough to just rename that whatever.doc and Word will recover it as normal.

Judg
09-09-2008, 12:15 AM
SF, two words. Extra RAM.

Which reminds me. I have extra RAM to install...

wordmonkey
09-09-2008, 12:45 AM
Buy a mac.

What?

Oh come on, you knew SOMEONE was gonna say that. :D

Christine N.
09-09-2008, 12:50 AM
External passport drive.

It's DA BOMB. When I got a new laptop, all I had to do was plug in the drive, with all my old laptop stuff on it, and hit Transfer. Done.

And now I back up the new one all the time. Of course, I also send a copy of my files to my gmail account, so there's an extra copy that's stored off site.

Stormhawk
09-09-2008, 01:17 AM
Save early, save often. Ctrl+S is your friend.

This. Ctrl+S is such a habit for me, I do it often while typing in reply boxes like these, or out of habit when I finish a paragraph. >_>

TheAntar
09-09-2008, 01:22 AM
Grab a new machine, saving in word only takes about .3 seconds on a modern computer. I just tested again with my 400 page novel :)

Modern computer (6 months old) with 3GB of ram, runs extremely well. Since using Windows Vista I've never had a crash either, but one time my power went out and I hadn't saved for 5 mins or so.

Word 2003 had a copy of my file waiting, and I was missing the last 2 words I'd typed.

New machine! And grab a UPS if you want a cheap one will run your machine for 3-4 minutes after the power goes down. Let's you finish your thought AND not lose your work :)

GLAZE_by_KyrstinMc
09-09-2008, 02:12 AM
Every 2 minutes? Wow. I'd just find that so annoying because my computer usually stops all processes during that time, which means I'll have typed an entire paragraph before I realize the computer is just sitting there waiting.

The program I use doesn't have me stop for the saving... it's nice. :)

thethinker42
09-09-2008, 03:33 AM

When I worked as an editor for a video company a few years ago, the computer was NOTORIOUS for crashing. I swear, sometimes you just had to move the mouse wrong and it crashed. Nothing like carefully fixing ten minutes of audio, then SPLAT. Gone. I got so paranoid that I really did start hitting CTRL+S every minute.

Now, almost 10 years later, I habitually hit Ctrl+S everytime I pause to think or reread a paragraph. I also back my writing up to two separate thumb drives every night.

And yet, last night, I STILL discovered that a chapter -- one I KNOW I wrote -- is missing. We can't win, can we?

Lady Cat
09-09-2008, 04:26 AM
Word Perfect (Corel) autosaves and also has that feature where if you crash it saves a version of whatever you were working on and will open it as soon as the program is up again.

Once a week I save everything to my flash drive and once a month I back up everything to a CD. But I'm not paranoid, really! Just because I sit with my back to the wall, facing both the door and the window . . . :Shrug:

A friend of my never backed up and when she had a system crash she lost her entire novel and a book of original poetry.

Clair Dickson
09-09-2008, 04:43 AM
The key with the AutoRecover is OPEN WORD FIRST. It will have your document waiting for you, at least as much as it can recover. Sometimes if you open a doc first, the AutoRecover won't be there (it's Microsoft, what can I say?) Usually you'll only loose a handful of words. Crtl+S-- it'll become habit. I sometimes hit it even when I haven't typed anything (new) just because I'm afraid of loosing something. ANd I also have my autosave set on OCD, I mean, every couple of minutes.

Of course, in normal computing, your machine shouldn't be crashing anyway. Something else is going on. Just like a car shouldn't stall while you're driving down the e-way.

Condolences for your loss.

Shweta
09-09-2008, 04:43 AM
I save every few minutes and back up every night.
I've lost content... twice. Never, ever, again.

MrWrite
09-09-2008, 05:09 AM
I save after every paragraph. This computer can play up once in a while so I get paranoid.

Matera the Mad
09-09-2008, 07:35 AM
Yep, train those fingers. Ctrl+S... paragraph... Ctrl+S paragraph... Ctrl+S

I once had such a cranky computer I used a keylogger so I wouldn't have to re-write e-mails.

SPMiller
09-09-2008, 07:37 AM
I have a little secret for you that you people won't like.

Operating systems don't actually write files to the disk immediately. They might, but they might also postpone it for minutes or even hours. The reasoning for this is too complicated to explain to laymen, but let's just say that hitting ctrl+S all the time won't necessarily save you--though I suppose it can't hurt.

That's why, on many operating systems, you have to explicitly unmount all writable drives before disconnecting them. Yes, even flash drives. And those of you who yank out your flash drives without explicitly stopping them are taking a very serious risk with your data.

Clair Dickson
09-09-2008, 08:34 AM
Um, okay. So what should we do about it? Or is it just something we should all fear?

Given that Ctrl-S and yanking my flash drive from Plug&Play systems has not lost me any data in over three years, I'm taking my chances. I also drive the eway every day even though people die and crash cars and stuff on it.

Darzian
09-09-2008, 09:04 AM
My computer is fine but my ADSL modem is screwed up and decides to disconnect whenever it likes. Then, promptly after disconnecting I end up with the Blue Screen of Death. The only option is to replace it but they're a little expensive where I am so I'm holding out. I'm usually online from sun up to midnight anyway but I have had several consecutive days without the blue screen.

Does anyone know how to set the autosave in MS Word 2007? The format is so different that I can't find it.

Clair Dickson
09-09-2008, 09:24 AM
Go to the Office Symbol (top left) then down to "Word Options", which is on the bottom of the menu, to the right. It's not IN the menu with the rest of the options, next to Exit Word (stupid Microsoft).

Then, go to Save and set your autosave to something a little more frequent.

Darzian
09-09-2008, 01:06 PM
Go to the Office Symbol (top left) then down to "Word Options", which is on the bottom of the menu, to the right. It's not IN the menu with the rest of the options, next to Exit Word (stupid Microsoft).

Then, go to Save and set your autosave to something a little more frequent.

Thanks a lot! I have noidea why its not in the menu- I scanned the menu repeatedly before and didn't think to look near the exit key. oh well....

CynicalRyan
09-09-2008, 01:21 PM
Um, okay. So what should we do about it? Or is it just something we should all fear?
Nothing. No fear, no nothing. While, what SPMiller said, is technically correct, the latency in that area is minimal by now (but dependent on a few factors).

While the operating system can mess with that, the wait until data gets flushed to disk is, usually, in the milliseconds.

If you have a brown out / black out while saving, all bets are off, of course, but the chance of that is unlikely (and can be mitigated with a UPS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninterruptible_power_supply)).

tehuti88
09-09-2008, 04:10 PM
How would you react?

I usually react by throwing screaming crying fits filled with lots of "It does this on PURPOSE!"s. But I'm emotional and histrionic that way. *shrug*

Pagey's_Girl
09-09-2008, 04:55 PM
Both Word and WordPro are set to autosave on mine, so I've never lost more than a paragraph or two at most. But it's a royal pain in the patootie. Luckily it hasn't happened more than one or twice.

At my old job, my manager's computer bit the dust one fine day and ate everything on it in the process. Luckily she'd sent me (I was the lead secretary and supported her along with my roster of company managers) most of her distribution lists along with a bunch of spreadsheets and documents, and the other admin manager had the rest. Between the two of us and her own backups, we managed to save everything.

Zelenka
09-09-2008, 05:14 PM
My old PC used to freeze if you moved the mouse too fast, literally, so I got into the way of Ctrl+S-ing every couple of seconds or at the end of each sentence because of that. Even though I'm onto my third laptop since then and don't (touch wood) have the same problem, I still do it out of habit. Even caught myself doing it on things like Outlook, it's so ingrained in me now.

Darzian
09-16-2008, 08:30 PM
GOD BLESS MICROSOFT!!!

I just have to share this:

Today, my computer suddenly came up with the Blue Screen of Death, leaving me thinking wtf?

I restarted anxiously, and MS Word's autosave had saved (yes literally) my last 2000+ words!!!!! I don't know what I'd have done otherwise! May the autosave developer live forever!!!

A.C.
09-16-2008, 08:41 PM
The other day we lost power because of Ike for a day or so. The power went on and off before that happened and I was on the computer at the time.

It's situations like these that make me thankful that I do not write on a computer! (I use an AlphaSmart Neo, which runs on batteries.)

Judg
09-16-2008, 10:48 PM
Darzian, any word processor worth its salt has an autosave function. Seeing as it's probably a Microsoft product that crashed your computer in the first place...

Judg who wants to get an Apple next time and who never stopped using WordPerfect.

Clair Dickson
09-16-2008, 11:23 PM
Does Mac still have the little Bomb picture for a fatal/ stop error? At least with BSOD you get an error code you can look up to see what caused the problem. It's either a serious OS problem (as in something got rearranged the wrong way) or a hardware failure. NOT necessarily a Microsoft problem. :/ Could have been any other software/conflict/ etc.

And having a feature does not mean that people know about/ how to use it. That has nothing to do with Mac/ PC.

Darzian-- maybe you should cut your losses on that crappy card you have (which is causing the BSOD) and save yourself much frustration!

benbradley
09-17-2008, 06:40 AM
I suspect SPMiller is wrong in that in that alpha releases of such an OS immediately got complaints of losing data when people did what you do, so they changed the OS to automatically and immediately flush any write to a removable drive (CD-R's not included, but XP explicitely TELLS you you've got files to be written to a CD-R, and won't let you eject it without letting you know).

In order to make computers look simple from the outside, the insides have to become more and more complicated.

Given that Ctrl-S and yanking my flash drive from Plug&Play systems has not lost me any data in over three years, I'm taking my chances. I also drive the eway every day even though people die and crash cars and stuff on it.
Go to the "windows explorer" where it shows the flash drive as D:, E:, F:, or some other letter, depending on how many drives you have and how Windows chooses to sequence them. Right-click and select Eject or Unmount or something to that effect. It should only take a second. But then, due to what I said earlier, it's probably unneccesary. On the other hand, don't bet your data on what I say...

GOD BLESS MICROSOFT!!!
To misquote a certain preacher, "NO!! NOT God BLESS Microsoft, ..."
<just had to say it>

I just have to share this:

Today, my computer suddenly came up with the Blue Screen of Death, leaving me thinking wtf?

I restarted anxiously, and MS Word's autosave had saved (yes literally) my last 2000+ words!!!!! I don't know what I'd have done otherwise! May the autosave developer live forever!!!
Yes, but I don't think Microsoft invented the feature. I first saw an autosave feature in the word processing program of the Corvus Concept, circa 1982. Yes, that was a quarter century ago.

Does Mac still have the little Bomb picture for a fatal/ stop error? At least with BSOD you get an error code you can look up to see what caused the problem.
I recall the original 128k/512k Macintoshes and the bomb thing. Yes, there was a numeric (hexadecimal, as I recall) code for the problem. The bomb even happened when a floppy disk with a formatting error was read by the drive, which I thought and still think was ridiculous. I had a Mac II, but I can't remember if they fixed that by then.

It's either a serious OS problem (as in something got rearranged the wrong way) or a hardware failure. NOT necessarily a Microsoft problem. :/ Could have been any other software/conflict/ etc.
That's certainly true. But there are also many Unix and Linux systems that run for months at a time of heavy use, including new software being installed, without rebooting. The OS's based on Windows NT (3.51, 4.0, Win2000, XP, I forget what else) are a bit better (than earlier MSWindows) in not crashing, but Windows 3.1, 95, 98 and ME caused people to have lower expectations of computer reliability because of how often they (The Microsoft operating system) crashed.

And having a feature does not mean that people know about/ how to use it. That has nothing to do with Mac/ PC.
That's certainly true - most people don't know that Firefox saves the pages you're looking at until they see their computer crash wile Firefox is running, then they reboot and rerun Firefox and it asks then if they want to reload the pages they were last looking at(!). A word processing program could just as easily do the exact same thing, even saving incremental changes every few seconds as you type without you noticing (except for the occasional flashing of the disk drive access light), but I don't know of any program that does this. Perhaps OpenOffice writer does, but I've rarely used it. Maybe the Firefox people should write a word processing program.

Darzian
09-17-2008, 07:05 AM
I'm not familiar with any word processing software other than Word, and I've never had to appreciate its autosave before so I guess I overreacted somewhat.

Jug, you're right- it crashed due to an XP error. Unfortunately apples are not available in my area.

Is this 'wordperfect' more convenient to use than word? Does it run on windows?

Judg
09-17-2008, 07:31 AM
WordPerfect used to be the industry standard in word processing. It still should be, as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure it's available for all platforms.

Madison
09-17-2008, 09:20 AM
Oh argh! I can empathize. Last night I had about ten word documents of notes on my current WIP open on my computer and I was jumping back and forth between documents... without saving. How STUPID! Of course msword crashed and I lost at TON of stuff. Too depressed to rewrite... I just went to bed.

Darzian
09-17-2008, 09:31 AM
Oh argh! I can empathize. Last night I had about ten word documents of notes on my current WIP open on my computer and I was jumping back and forth between documents... without saving. How STUPID! Of course msword crashed and I lost at TON of stuff. Too depressed to rewrite... I just went to bed.

Aww! Take everyone's advice and set the autosave to 3 minutes

Chasing the Horizon
09-17-2008, 09:44 AM
I've never lost more than a paragraph, thanks to Appleworks' recovery feature. Even when I've lost power, it's recovered my work (always a little scary, though). I work exclusively on laptops now, though, so suddenly losing power can't happen. So far as I know, Apples don't just crash for no reason (at least, not for me). The few times Appleworks didn't recover my last paragraph, I just retyped it right away, before I could forget what I'd written.

P.S. Darzian, I sell Apple laptops and will ship to anywhere in the world, including Sri Lanka. :)

Virector
09-17-2008, 11:09 AM
MS Word is very useful because it saves your work automatically as you go. That has saved me several times.

Exir
09-17-2008, 04:09 PM
I've lost 25 handwritten pages of manuscript once.

Thankfully, I have a pretty good memory. I just shrugged it off, and promptly worked well into the night for 3 nights to reproduce the manuscript from memory.

I think that the second draft was much much better than the first, so that in some ways, I was glad that I had lost it, hehe :)

Clair Dickson
09-17-2008, 06:26 PM
Windows doesn't crash for "no reason" either... especially when you get to WinXP. There's always a reason. It could be conflict of hardware or software. It could be that some setting was changed (on purpose or accident) by a user or a program. It could be that the computer is being asked to do something it can't handle or it times out because the task was taking too long. If you understand computers, you can understand what goes wrong. THere's always a reason... not knowing/understanding it does not mean it's not there. =)

Most, if not all, Word Processing programs have an Autosave somewhere. By default Word is set to 10 minutes. That can be canged to OCD-frequency. (Mine is at 3 minutes, and I have Word set to make local copies of anything I save to portable storage)

The OP has a hardware conflict causing his Blue Screen of Death. If he had a bad network card in a Mac, it too would cause problems.

This doesn't have to turn into a Mac/ PC debate... but it seems to be heading that way. PCs (Windows computers) are fine, if you know how to use them. Macs are fine if you know how to use them.

Darzian
09-17-2008, 07:29 PM
The OP has a hardware conflict causing his Blue Screen of Death.

Yup. It's my DSL modem. It doesn't agree with my computer at times and I need to get a replacement. Unfortunately, my finances are a bit tight so I can't do that just yet. I hope to get it replaced in 2 months or so.

XP's very good. As Clair said, Windows doesn't crash for no reason. It may appear that way but there is always a cause. I had no issues at all until this modem started to go faulty.

Donkey
09-17-2008, 08:47 PM
Sometimes, I'll edit one word and hit Save.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u92/donkeyrokman/chat.gif

Topaz044
09-18-2008, 07:21 PM
I save often, but oddly enough my laptop computer rarely crashes-I can't honestly remember the last time it did (probably because I don't have a lot of programs on it).

That being said, there is a strange glitch where is try to undo what I just wrote instead of backspace (CTRL-Z) the program will indeed crash.

Darzian
09-18-2008, 07:29 PM
I save often, but oddly enough my laptop computer rarely crashes-I can't honestly remember the last time it did (probably because I don't have a lot of programs on it).

That being said, there is a strange glitch where is try to undo what I just wrote instead of backspace (CTRL-Z) the program will indeed crash.

You must have a great computer! May I ask what company made it? If it hasn't ever crached in living memory, then that must be a very reliable company.

But then again, I have at least half a dozen software running at once.

I'd like to know because I hope to make a heavy laptop investment in the upcoming months.

TsukiRyoko
09-18-2008, 07:30 PM
I have mine processor on auto save- it saves every 5-10 minutes- but when it crashes, I still flip out. My heart jumps, I stare at the screen for about 10 minutes, then I get up, punch the wall, and go to sleep all depressed.

Topaz044
09-19-2008, 05:54 AM
You must have a great computer! May I ask what company made it? If it hasn't ever crached in living memory, then that must be a very reliable company.

But then again, I have at least half a dozen software running at once.

I'd like to know because I hope to make a heavy laptop investment in the upcoming months.

Hey Darzian :)

It's a Dell Vostro 1000 that still has windows XP, (which is probably why it never crashes!) with wordperfect. I bought it on-line at the time. Good machine, not-so-good customer service.

Darzian
09-19-2008, 05:57 AM
Hey Darzian :)

It's a Dell Vostro 1000 that still has windows XP, (which is probably why it never crashes!) with wordperfect. I bought it on-line at the time. Good machine, not-so-good customer service.

Ah, k thanks! Dell. That's good. Good old XP.

briane1911a1
09-19-2008, 11:03 AM
I have had this malady many times, and came up with a solution that raises many an eyebrow. I spent $200 and had grandpa's old Royal typewriter restored, and now my writing goes through that. Well, first draft is on paper; then I go to the Royal using my two-finger method; then the ms. goes into the computer for the final draft/polishing phase. At that point, if the computer goes bughouse, the worst case is retyping a few lines. --Brian

Darzian
09-28-2008, 03:10 PM
I am now e-mailing myself the WIP at the end of every week, in case of total hardware collapse. I never considered it before, but attaching a Word file is real quick.

It's such a neat trick- I wonder why I never thought of it before. I got the idea from Artemis Fowl. Undoubtedly, plenty of you are already applying this tactic.

Linda Adams
09-28-2008, 04:13 PM
I am now e-mailing myself the WIP at the end of every week, in case of total hardware collapse. I never considered it before, but attaching a Word file is real quick.

It's such a neat trick- I wonder why I never thought of it before. I got the idea from Artemis Fowl. Undoubtedly, plenty of you are already applying this tactic.

Online backup is also another option. Most of them are relatively inexpensive. The only painful part is the first backup, which might take a while since it's doing everything. After that, it'll back up the files updated that day every night. You can also do a manual backup (clicking one button) if you want to do it earlier. Backs up the bookmarked links, too. This is one of the sites: http://mozy.com/ Up to two gig is free; after that, it's about $5 a month.

Darzian
09-28-2008, 05:53 PM
God, what a priceless website! I didn't realize such sites allowed you to upload for free! Thanks a lot.