Men's dress shirts

MsK

Registered
Reaction score
Quick question about sizes on mens dress shirts. Is there an easy way to guesstimate?
I have to get my son a dress shirt and since I will be near the mall today, thought I'd try and pick one up.
Here's his specifics.
He's just short of 5'9", weighs about 150-155. Wears a Size 32 pant and a Medium in t-shirts and other button down style shirts.
Any way to guess what size he might take?

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately, collar size is important in shirts. You'll need to know that.

Richard

quickWit

Totally Ninja!
Registered
Reaction score
I'd look for a 15-1/2" collar and 33" sleeve length if I had to guess judging by the measurements you've given. That's a medium in dress shirts.

Good luck!

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Depends. If you're buying off-the-rack, then I'd say go with a medium. Keep the receipt.

Otherwise there's neck sizes, arm lengths, and such that need to be taken into consideration. I can't buy off the rack because generic medium/large/extra large may fit in the chest, but the sleeves are often too short on me.

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
Depends. If you're buying off-the-rack, then I'd say go with a medium. Keep the receipt.

Otherwise there's neck sizes, arm lengths, and such that need to be taken into consideration. I can't buy off the rack because generic medium/large/extra large may fit in the chest, but the sleeves are often too short on me.

Knuckles dragging on the ground?

Richard

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
quickWit is probably pretty close to being right.

Also, if you're going to an actual men's store, the clerk there should be able to help you just from the info you posted.

Last edited:

MsK

Registered
Reaction score
I'd look for a 15-1/2" collar and 33" sleeve length if I had to guess judging by the measurements you've given. That's a medium in dress shirts.

Good luck!

I'm going with this one. It sounds like what I was thinking.

Thanks everyone. I'm off...

To the mall... whoo hoo... whoo hoo...
*skips away*

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
He's just short of 5'9", weighs about 150-155. Wears a Size 32 pant and a Medium in t-shirts and other button down style shirts.
Any way to guess what size he might take?

He's about my size, maybe a bit thinner so I would say 15 1/2 or 16 collar. I have no idea how long his arms are, but usual size is about 32/33. Go with that.

MsK

Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely. Go to the men's department, hide behind a rack, and wait until you see someone your son's height and weight. Jump out, grab him, and tell him you need him to "try something on."

I've done that. A lot. ;)
Well, maybe not "Can you try something on?", but "Can I hold this up to you?"
And then the kid's mother runs over thinking I'm some 'cougar' trying to hit on her young son and... :e2fight:

Kidding.

So, I got two shirts, both in 15 1/2 (a perfect fit- thanks for the help Awers), but couldn't decide on the sleeve length as my son has some long arms. I got the 32-33 and the 34-35 and as it always seems to work out- he's right in the middle. The 32-33 is a touch too short, the 34-35 is a touch too long. I'm keeping the 34-35.
Thanks again guys. Your advice helped. :e2flowers

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In case you need to do this again, go to a store that actually carries whole sleeve sizes (33,34,35); not those stores that carry 32-33, 34-35, etc. You must have went to a department store rather than a men's store. It sounds like a true 34 would have been the best fit.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
quickWit is probably pretty close to being right.

Also, if you're going to an actual men's store, the clerk there should be able to help you just from the info you posted.

Just be careful about buying trousers, because, bank on it, a real tailor will ask if your son "dresses to the right or to the left" (years ago my dad sold men's suits). And how you (or your son) answers will make a world of difference. Trust me on this. :D

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Just be careful about buying trousers, because, bank on it, a real tailor will ask if your son "dresses to the right or to the left" (years ago my dad sold men's suits). And how you (or your son) answers will make a world of difference. Trust me on this. :D
Well, I've never gone to a "real" taylor, meaning that he had his own store and that's all he did, but I have gone to men's suit stores that have a taylor on premise and they've always had to alter my suits -- no one has ever asked me how I dress. I don't even know what that means. Right or left?

Am I missing something?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I've never gone to a "real" taylor, meaning that he had his own store and that's all he did, but I have gone to men's suit stores that have a taylor on premise and they've always had to alter my suits -- no one has ever asked me how I dress. I don't even know what that means. Right or left?

Am I missing something?
Which way the person's, uh, "manhood" typically hangs.

Aren't you sorry you asked?