PDA

View Full Version : Annoying people...

Kitrianna
09-08-2008, 07:26 PM
So I have ranted and raved in the past about people talking and carrying on, pounding on keyboards, text messagine or having annoying ring tones blaring every five seconds while using the library computers. It is annoying. Extremely. For crimeny's sake...it's a LIBRARY!!!!! So today it happens again.

Guy sitting down the table from me has a friend come in. He's carrying on a rather loud conversation for 20 minutes. I give both of them the look. The friend has the decency to be polite and not talk incessantly. The other guy? Completely oblivious. When his buddy points out that maybe they should go outside to have their conversation, Mr. Oblivious asks 'why?' His considerate friend points out that they're disturbing people. Mr. Oblivious doesn't realize who, so I point it out to him. His response(muttered half under his breath)? 'Guess some people can't multi-task'.

Last time I checked, talking while clicking a mouse wasn't considered multi-tasking, but please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. And as always, share your stories of rude and obnoxious people...:)

regdog
09-08-2008, 09:40 PM
You mean liek the rude jerks who carry on their cellphine conversations so loud everyone in a twelve block radius hears them.

Or the losers who have their car stereos blasting so loud not only can you hear the car coming blocks before it passes your house but your house actually vibrates from the thundering base.

Or the s***h**** who are in the far left lane and veer right across three lanes of traffic to take the exit that they just now realized they want.

Those rude morons.

Seaclusion
09-08-2008, 09:44 PM
You mean liek the rude jerks who carry on their cellphine conversations so loud everyone in a twelve block radius hears them.

Or the losers who have their car stereos blasting so loud not only can you hear the car coming blocks before it passes your house but your house actually vibrates from the thundering base.

Or the s***h**** who are in the far left lane and veer right across three lanes of traffic to take the exit that they just now realized they want.

Those rude morons.
In defense of the rude morons, it's really hard driving while talking on the cellphone loudly and playing the radio for all to hear.

Richard

DL Hegel
09-08-2008, 09:45 PM
So I have ranted and raved in the past about people talking and carrying on, pounding on keyboards, text messagine or having annoying ring tones blaring every five seconds while using the library computers. It is annoying. Extremely. For crimeny's sake...it's a LIBRARY!!!!! So today it happens again.

Guy sitting down the table from me has a friend come in. He's carrying on a rather loud conversation for 20 minutes. I give both of them the look. The friend has the decency to be polite and not talk incessantly. The other guy? Completely oblivious. When his buddy points out that maybe they should go outside to have their conversation, Mr. Oblivious asks 'why?' His considerate friend points out that they're disturbing people. Mr. Oblivious doesn't realize who, so I point it out to him. His response(muttered half under his breath)? 'Guess some people can't multi-task'.

Last time I checked, talking while clicking a mouse wasn't considered multi-tasking, but please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. And as always, share your stories of rude and obnoxious people...:)the expulsion of offensive gases encourage people to close their mouthes and move;)

Unique
09-08-2008, 10:08 PM
*annoying*

adjective or verb ... hmmm... I'll take verb.
the people you described obviously chose adjective.

Pagey's_Girl
09-08-2008, 10:19 PM
A former co-worker and his wife used to fight pretty much all the time - he'd get mad, ignore his cellphone and wouldn't be in the shop - so, she'd call me. And call me. And call me. And call me again five minutes later freaking out yelling and sobbing because he hadn't called her back. They definately had issues...

Kitrianna
09-08-2008, 11:27 PM
I doubt that therapy would have helped them and that's what people with issues require. :D

JoNightshade
09-08-2008, 11:38 PM
Oh man we get that in our library too. We have this huge new one that was just opened this year, and there is a downstairs - with YA, Children's, Fiction, etc. UPSTAIRS is the adult, nonfic STUDY AREA. It has signs. There are tables. People are studying.

AND EVERY TIME I GO THERE TO WORK, SOMEONE COMES IN, SITS DOWN, AND STARTS TO TALK ON THEIR CELL PHONE.

WTF?!?! Seriously. It's a library. And do the librarians do anything? No. Not at all. ARG.

Kitrianna
09-08-2008, 11:43 PM
I experienc ethat problem all the time, but heaven forbid if I get one text message on my cell. I get read the riot act...

JoeEkaitis
09-09-2008, 02:24 AM
Bears repeating:

Checkbook + fully loaded shopping cart + 15 ITEMS OR LESS/CASH OR DEBIT CARDS ONLY lane = death penalty.

regdog
09-09-2008, 02:49 AM
Bears repeating:

Checkbook + fully loaded shopping cart + 15 ITEMS OR LESS/CASH OR DEBIT CARDS ONLY lane = death penalty.

Rocket Launchers should be on each and every shopping cart

Salem
09-09-2008, 02:57 AM
Annoying, to me, is the jackass who is so desperate for attention that he has to have all four car windows rolled down and the stereo on full blast so everyone will notice him. Someone's mommy must not given him enough hugs...

Neurotic
09-09-2008, 02:59 AM
In that case the rocket launcher would be more effective if you mounted it on the checkout. I know I would have been a much happier little customer service wench if I'd been able to 'splode people.

More on topic, the people I find most annoying, even beyond people in libraries who have to yell into their cellphones to be heard over the imaginary background noise are the people who can't resist the urge to interrupt and talk for a very long time about how the person who had been talking is wrong and they've clearly overlooked some critical aspect of whatever they had been talking about and can't they just see that whatever it was is actually pure genius?!?

The book club I go to has one of those. It's funny, you know because I always thought books were a subjective sort of thing. :Shrug:

Pagey's_Girl
09-09-2008, 06:14 AM
The person at work who thinks she owns the company because she's been there eleven years, the one who trained me and told me at some length how utterly humiliating it was to be a - gasp - receptionist and how she went home crying every night because they made her a - sob - receptionist.

Seriously - if I didn't have the kind of office experience I have, I would have been screwed. She only cross-trained me on about a quarter of the job at best. Even on little things like drug test forms. "How do I tell the difference between the ones for COmpany X versus the others?"
Her: "The Company X ones are in the folder."
Me: "But how are they different?"
Her: "I don't know. They won't tell you."
Me: "How do I get more if I run out?"
Her: "I don't know. I never asked. I tell you, I was so humiliated when they moved me up here..."
(BTW, one of the tech recruiters was only too happy to tell me what the difference was, and that if I needed more of either, just ask him.)

sadron
09-09-2008, 07:53 AM
Yeah I dislike loud people in the library! Library used to be my fave place. I dislike noisy and rude people too.

Broadswordbabe
09-09-2008, 05:50 PM
The Office Martyr.

You know the one. Comes in with a streaming cold, and sits there waving aside all concern, while blowing her nose loudly and making it obvious that she's only struggling on because she's so noble and self-sacrificing and only, finally, goes home when the Head of Department practically throws her out.

Having given me, and half the rest of the department, her rotten, stinking cold. Resulting in more people having to have time off because some of us have enough sense to actually go to bed when we're sick. But actually I had better things to do than lie in bed for the next 24 hours.

Unless people will actually die if you don't come in, if you have a cold, ruddy well stay home! Coming in with a cold is not 'noble' it's stupid, selfish and inefficient!

Ahem. /rant.

Grrarrgh
09-09-2008, 06:07 PM
The Office Martyr.

You know the one. Comes in with a streaming cold, and sits there waving aside all concern, while blowing her nose loudly and making it obvious that she's only struggling on because she's so noble and self-sacrificing and only, finally, goes home when the Head of Department practically throws her out.

Having given me, and half the rest of the department, her rotten, stinking cold. Resulting in more people having to have time off because some of us have enough sense to actually go to bed when we're sick. But actually I had better things to do than lie in bed for the next 24 hours.

Unless people will actually die if you don't come in, if you have a cold, ruddy well stay home! Coming in with a cold is not 'noble' it's stupid, selfish and inefficient!

Ahem. /rant.

We just had one of those. Guy that sits behind me knew that "something was wrong", but the test results hadn't come in yet, so he continued to come in to work every day, sharing the germs with the rest of us. Turned out to be a staph infection, so you can imagine the swiftness of the chewing out that I gave him. I have a six week old niece that I spent the weekend with, for heaven's sake! People like that really tick me off. :rant:

Kitrianna
09-09-2008, 06:38 PM
Ahhh, it's refreshing to see that I am not the only person who is annoyed by all these socially inept people. I feel the pain of the grocery clerks. I have been there. In fact I watched some turd that was mathematically challenged hold me and about 6 other people up last night at the grocery store. How difficult is it to keep track of how many items you have? When you hit 12, you know that you can't use the express lane. At least not at the store I normally shop at. :)

Pagey's_Girl
09-09-2008, 07:01 PM
We just had one of those. Guy that sits behind me knew that "something was wrong", but the test results hadn't come in yet, so he continued to come in to work every day, sharing the germs with the rest of us. Turned out to be a staph infection, so you can imagine the swiftness of the chewing out that I gave him. I have a six week old niece that I spent the weekend with, for heaven's sake! People like that really tick me off. :rant:

In third grade the kid who sat next to me came to school for three days with chickenpox because he wanted an award for perfect attendance. He finally got caught out when the rash spread to his face. Good thing I'd already had it six years earlier, because, two weeks later, it was me, the teacher and three other kids in class - the only ones who didn't get sick out of twenty-seven.

Kitrianna
09-09-2008, 07:04 PM
School and chicken pox sucked. So did the outbreak of the measles. I was the only kid guaranteed not to get it. My brother and sister gave me both when I was 6 months old. So I had to come down with strep throat :)

Broadswordbabe
09-09-2008, 11:21 PM
I must be sick. How many 'actuallies' were there in that post?:eek:

Kitrianna
09-09-2008, 11:22 PM
Or bored. I didn't even notice them, let alone bother to count...:)

AmusingMuse
09-09-2008, 11:40 PM
I have a prize!

I was in the grocery store the other day with my daughter, Katie. We were going up and down the aisles getting our weekly food and I kept having this feeling that we were being watched. I turned around and this woman was staring at Katie. I smiled. Katie said, "hallo."

The woman looked mortified. I must be getting old, my patience is just not like it used to be. Here is our conversation.

"Is she all right?"
"Who?"
"Her."
"Katie? Of course she's all right. Why do you ask?"
"What's wrong with her?"
"Wrong? Nothing is wrong with Katie."
"Why does she look that way then?"
"Which way is that?"
"Well, she doesn't look like my daughter."
"I hope not, because she's mine."
"Can she talk?"
"Yes, and walk, and sit... go to school."
"She goes to school?"
"Yes, of course she goes to school."
"Did she have an accident?"
"Only one..."
"Oh dear, what happened?"
"She made the mistake of standing in a grocery store listening to an idiot babble..."

Worse thing is, we ran into her again at the video store later on. My husband was with us. hahaha He asked me what was wrong with that woman, she keeps staring...

Pagey's_Girl
09-10-2008, 12:11 AM
I think I work with her brother...

Me: The laptop will go out this afternoon, next-day air.
Him: Next day is not acceptable. Please send overnight.
Me: *trying to think of how to say nicely that next day means it gets there tomorrow morning....*

tjwriter
09-10-2008, 01:33 AM
That's hilarious, PG. And that's scary, Amusing.

I like the people that text and drive, nearly sideswiping me in the process. Or the guy that was half a block away when the light changed, could have stopped three times over, and still tries to run the light. Because you know, the is green, has been green, I have places to go and I am going. Oh, and then has the nerve to blast the horn and flip me off.

BardSkye
09-10-2008, 03:39 AM
How difficult is it to keep track of how many items you have? When you hit 12, you know that you can't use the express lane. At least not at the store I normally shop at. :)

But if the store has a "no shoes, no service" policy as well, how's he supposed to get past 10?

Kitrianna
09-12-2008, 04:45 AM
But if the store has a "no shoes, no service" policy as well, how's he supposed to get past 10?

:roll: I do have to say, I have the worst luck with that express lane. It happened again tonight. The woman in front of me must have had at least 20 items when she got in the line (I took a quick glance in her cart) and she kept sending what I assume was her son to go get more! I wanted to strangle her. But I was good. I didn't say a word...I was too afraid of screaming and getting kicked out before I could pay for my chicken legs and bananas. I just glared at her every single second that I had to stand behind her. Which was for about 3 minutes after I paid for my groceries cause she blocked the end of the line too. Not impressed, definitely not impressed. I was however, squished and bumped from the people behind me crowding up on me. Couldn't they see that I was unable to move and give me some breathing space?

Pagey's_Girl
09-12-2008, 05:23 PM
I actually once had an old man trying to push me out of the way with his shopping cart while I was trying to pay for my groceries. I thought he'd just bumped me accidently until he actually started leaning against the cart and pushing it into me, glaring daggers at me all the while. The (rather large and very male) cashier in the next lane had to tell him to knock it off.

Don't know if he was off his meds or on them, but geez Louise...and BTW, I had three items and he had a full cart. And he'd gotten in line about a minute after I did.

Mr Flibble
09-12-2008, 05:29 PM
I've got an easy way round annoying shoppers.

A) wear the leathers - seriously people don't bother you then.

B) If that doesn't work, take the Old man. He has a very scary stare and is quite happy to state extremely loudly 'Look at that stupid woman, obviously she hasn't enough brain cells to be able to count.' I've also trained my kids to laugh and point when someone parks where hey shouldn't and say 'Look Mummy that plonker can't read! It says No Parking there.'

Being told off by a 7 year old really embarrasses them lol

AmusingMuse
09-12-2008, 05:32 PM
I've got an easy way round annoying shoppers.

A) wear the leathers - seriously people don't bother you then.

B) If that doesn't work, take the Old man. He has a very scary stare and is quite happy to state extremely loudly 'Look at that stupid woman, obviously she hasn't enough brain cells to be able to count.' I've also trained my kids to laugh and point when someone parks where hey shouldn't and say 'Look Mummy that plonker can't read! It says No Parking there.'

Being told off by a 7 year old really embarrasses them lol

hahahahaha are we related?

chevbrock
09-12-2008, 05:34 PM
I love listening to loud mobile phone conversations. I make sure that they know I am hanging on every word, too - my enraptured stare never wavers from them. It can make for good writing research, too.

Seaclusion
09-12-2008, 05:41 PM
I sometimes join in the conversation with loud people on cell phones saying things like, "I know what you mean," and "I can just imagine that". And with people that use bluetooth headsets, I just carry on the conversation with them as if there was no phone in their ear and they're talking to me. You wouldn't believe how fast they want to get away from me.

Richard

kct webber
09-12-2008, 05:49 PM

Last month, my brother watched his boss clean his staph infection in the company coffee pot.

Yes, you heard me. The freaking company coffee pot. And the company dragged their feet when asked to do something about it. An anonymous call to the company and threats of calling OSHA fixed that real quick. My brother now has said supervisor's job.

I still have no words to describe the stupidity that something like that has to require.