Rewrite: Finished!

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
You peoples may or may not have noticed the little rainbow bar in my sig for the past couple of months (go ahead, scroll down for a peek :)) - but my deadline for finishing my rewrite was today and I just finished!!!

Two months ago I had the interest of an agent who spoke to me a couple times on the phone. She likes my writing but thought I had major plot issues. With this manuscript, it was essentially that I was trying to stuff too much crap into one story. I said, "Okay, I will rewrite it!"

So I figured out what I wanted to change, made a detailed outline of each chapter, and then made myself a schedule I hoped would bring me to the finish line in two months.

And two months later, here I am! I have removed the assassins, exorcised Connor (may he rest in peace) and the mob, and given one of my MC's a driving motivation. Honestly, some of the toughest, most painstaking, irritating writing I have ever tackled!

Which is not to say my work's finished. I've done the remodel, and now I've got to go in and add the trim and paint. But for now, it's time for...
:snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy:

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Congratulations! Are you going to re-send to the original agent?

Oh yes indeed I am. There is no friggin' way I'd have done this rewrite otherwise. Heh heh. Actually I found out like a week ago that she had just changed agencies and I was like "OH CRAP, what if she no longer wants it?" So I emailed her and she said yes, she definitely still wants to see it when it's done. I'm still a few weeks away from being at the point where I'd give it to her (I want a couple of beta-reads for one thing) but I am certainly crossing my fingers here. Her original agency was good, but the one she moved to is drool-worthy. ;)

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
WooHoo! How are you going to celebrate?

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh, that's a good question. Haha. I think, hang out here for a bit (I've stayed away from the forums for like two weeks - agh, withdrawal!) and then go play some video games. Oh, right, and catch up with all the people I've been totally ignoring for the past 2 months!

Actually, I did make a little agreement with my husband to give me an incentive for finishing on time. I get to donate money for a wheelchair at Free Wheelchair Mission, my favorite charity. (I get to donate another one if I snag my agent!) I realize that's kind of a weird incentive, but I don't really have any material wants/needs. :)

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
That is fantastic. And if you ever read back over the old stuff you'll be amazed that you ever thought it was a seller. And when you read the new work you'll be surprised it is actually your own work.

Well done.

dawinsor

Dorothy A. Winsor
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
That's wonderful, Jo! It sounds like you kicked that book to a whole new level. I hope the agent is thrilled with it and you.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Well done, Jo! There's something just so satisfying about hitting a deadline, even if it's just one you set for yourself.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Good for you, Jo! Now here's an LOLCat to print up and hang over your desk for motivation:

cat2.jpg

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Thank you everyone! :Hug2: I feel like I am sooooo close on this one, it could go either way. But even if she doesn't want my rewritten version... it's changed so much now I can shop it around again! ;)

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Terrific, Jo. Hope all works out for you. :snoopy:

Must be a great feeling, and also a thrill to have got that initial and encouraging feedback instead of a straight rejection.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Oh man, I guess I didn't realize how much I was pushing myself there at the end. I have not done a single stinking thing today. I'm supposed to write something for my real job and I just can't do it. I'm mentally out-to-lunch. Good thing my boss is nice and patient. ;)