Your Book's Merch

GLAZE_by_KyrstinMc

Registered
Reaction score
Have you ever thought of having merchandise for your book?

Like posters, shirts, etc.

I know I have, and I know some books wouldn't have such things because of what they're about.

Please tell me some of your ideas if you would get such things for your book (upon it becoming popular).

Susan Breen

Registered
Reaction score
My husband is a trademark lawyer and so when my book came out, he registered for the trademark and his big plan was to have umbrellas emblazoned with The Fiction Class. I don't know why because it doesn't rain in my book, that I recall. Anyway, it didn't happen. I do, however, have book marks.

Woodsie

I have tendencies.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.graceisforsinner.com
I have a tattoo on my wrist that corresponds with the message of my book (it's nonfiction), so, perhaps I could get my readers to get matching tattoos? ;)

I think T-shirts would be fun.

GLAZE_by_KyrstinMc

Registered
Reaction score
I have a tattoo on my wrist that corresponds with the message of my book (it's nonfiction), so, perhaps I could get my readers to get matching tattoos? ;)

I think T-shirts would be fun.

What's the message of your book?

Or do I have to read it to find out? :tongue What's it called?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As hard as I work on each book, I think I deserve a tattoo of the title in its published font as it appears on the cover--when that happens, anyway. Perhaps on my forehead, so people can't help but ask about it.

Maryn, imagining Brick by Brick over her brows

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking seriously for a moment (me?), consider carefully before you spend much on promotional materials. In the 90s, I attended two genre-specific writing conventions. I picked up bookmarks, pens, fans, scratch pads, even a tote bag. One of the pens happens to fit the spiral in the steno pads I use as grocery lists, so it's been in there for ten years, with occasional vacations when I misplace it. (It always turns up again.)

And I can't tell you the title of a single book whose promotional items I have lying around. Not even the grocery list pen's book. I haven't read a single one.

Maryn, truth-teller

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
The movie starring Patrick Stewart as the voice of Griff, John Goodman as the voice of Bear and Tim Allen as the voice of Dorian (a mural-painting dragon not seen on the front cover).

The Cartoon Network or Disney Channel animated series.

The Griff, Bear and Dorian action figures (talking and silent).

Dream big, eh?

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Bookmarks and postcards. That's about it but they're not merchandises, just promotional items. I don't think merchandising really works unless your book has already reached a certain level of recognition or you've achieved some kind of branding already (like Harry Potter or Jurassic Park). I can't imagine "The Firm" or "Cold Mountain" merchandises would fly off the shelves.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Please consider, also, a couple of other things:

Who is the target audience of your book? What do they like and carry around?

and a related question

How are you going to be handing them out/delivering them?
A book about bricklaying pretty much cries for custom labeled trowels or bricks. But if your delivery system is the postal service, it's gonna cost you a fortune.

GLAZE_by_KyrstinMc

Registered
Reaction score
Please consider, also, a couple of other things:

Who is the target audience of your book? What do they like and carry around?

and a related question

A book about bricklaying pretty much cries for custom labeled trowels or bricks. But if your delivery system is the postal service, it's gonna cost you a fortune.

This is more fantasizing on my part, but you make a very good point!

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
I have bookmarks that I give out which direct folks to my book and my website.

Be wary about anything you might try selling, especially if it has your cover art on it...what with copyright laws and all (unless you own the rights to your cover art, of course).

That being said, I'm still working out the details of my "free disintegrator cannon with every order of 1000 books" plan...which I figure will be a big boon with bookstore owners trying to fend off POD authors.

Last edited:

GLAZE_by_KyrstinMc

Registered
Reaction score
I have bookmarks that I give out which direct folks to my book and my website.

Be wary about anything you might try selling, especially if it has your cover art on it...what with copyright laws and all (unless you own the rights to your cover art, of course).

That being said, I'm still working out the details of my "free disintegrator cannon with every order of 1000 books" plan...which I figure will be a big boon with bookstore owners trying to fend off POD authors.

Hahaha! Thank you for the good laugh!

Ahem, I wish you nothing but good fortune with your... little plan.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
I have a tattoo planned of one of my characters.

Maybe not on my face though :)

I can see branded firelighters being a good tie in lol.

I read that as "Branded Firefighters" at first. I guess it's a good thing I have my annual eye exam scheduled for the seventeenth...

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
I have Pirate's Alphabet bookmarks that I give out, and I hand out pirate temporary tattoos when I do a book signing. Kids love them and I get them really cheap at Oriental Trading Company.

My illustrator created a Cafepress shop which has some Pirate's Alphabet stuff on it, and I bought a couple of the coffee mugs because they're just so cute.

Oh, and my mom made me a tote bag with the Summer's Ashes cover on it, which I use when I go grocery shopping... so far only one person has asked me where they can get one just like it :)

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
That being said, I'm still working out the details of my "free disintegrator cannon with every order of 1000 books" plan...

Aston, you get that worked out, count me in for 2K. Ok, probably just the 1K. Once I test fire that thing off in the house, the wife's not going to let me play with another one.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Since it's all for fun anyway, the merchandising would be in every store just like movie merchandising is. The action figures. The video game. Posters. The Halloween costumes. The whole kids room boutique, complete with comforters, sheets, pillow cases, lamps. Not to mention all the Golden Book illustrated children's story releases, coloring books, sticker books.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
In a media-friendly publicity stunt, I'm going to jump off a sandstone cliff.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, but if the tide is in...

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
Aston, you get that worked out, count me in for 2K. Ok, probably just the 1K. Once I test fire that thing off in the house, the wife's not going to let me play with another one.
Test it on her first...I'll go ahead and put you down for 2K.
:)

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your point of view), it only works on people. Your house should be fine.
;)