Substitute for Peanut Oil

smoothseas

Life sucks... Then ya die...
Registered
Reaction score
yawn... in da land of the terminally bored.
I recently went to an Asian market to buy a bottle of peanut oil. They didn’t have any. While local, the store is small and not well-stocked.

So, I tried another and they didn’t have any either. At the third shop, the clerk told me that weren’t carrying it since the price had recently shot up into the stratosphere.

Any suggestions for a substitute? I’m hungry for curry and have a few new stir fry recipes I wanna try.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Canola oil, I think. DON'T use olive oil.

hammerklavier

It was a dark and stormy night
Registered
Reaction score
You can usually find regular peanut oil with the other oils at your local supermarket.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You can usually find regular peanut oil with the other oils at your local supermarket.
That's probably true these days since people use peanut oil to "deep fat fry" turkeys.

smoothseas

Life sucks... Then ya die...
Registered
Reaction score
yawn... in da land of the terminally bored.

Yes, but what you'd pay for a pint at the local chain store, you could buy a half-gallon at the Oriental market.

I’m looking for something that allows for woking at high temps and that would impart a similar flavor.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
Canola oil has a high flash point. Doesn't compromise the flavour either. But I don't know about the availability in the States. It's quite common and cheap in Canada. It's also healthier than peanut oil, although not as healthy as olive oil, which has a lower flash point.

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Another option would be grapeseed oil for a high flash point.

As for peanut oil, my husband uses it in a turkey fryer. He buys it in gallon+ containers from our Walmart. But they stop carrying it out of season. If you can't find it in your local grocery store, a camping store might have it.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Virgin coconut oil is excellent and is the most commonly used oil in curries in this area, but it definitely has a coconut flavour. In curries, because the amount used isn't great, it's a subtle flavour addition. In deep frying, (high smoke point, too) I don't usually notice it. But I don't use coconut oil in making mayo because there the flavour is too strong and it just doesn't work for me.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Another option would be grapeseed oil for a high flash point.

As for peanut oil, my husband uses it in a turkey fryer. He buys it in gallon+ containers from our Walmart. But they stop carrying it out of season. If you can't find it in your local grocery store, a camping store might have it.

Our local Walmart has taken to carrying peanut oil year around now, after doing this for a couple of years.