PDA

View Full Version : Substitute for Peanut Oil

smoothseas
09-06-2008, 08:52 PM
I recently went to an Asian market to buy a bottle of peanut oil. They didnít have any. While local, the store is small and not well-stocked.

So, I tried another and they didnít have any either. At the third shop, the clerk told me that werenít carrying it since the price had recently shot up into the stratosphere.

Any suggestions for a substitute? Iím hungry for curry and have a few new stir fry recipes I wanna try.

alleycat
09-06-2008, 08:55 PM
Canola oil, I think. DON'T use olive oil.

hammerklavier
09-06-2008, 09:54 PM
You can usually find regular peanut oil with the other oils at your local supermarket.

alleycat
09-06-2008, 10:03 PM
You can usually find regular peanut oil with the other oils at your local supermarket.
That's probably true these days since people use peanut oil to "deep fat fry" turkeys.

smoothseas
09-06-2008, 10:12 PM

Yes, but what you'd pay for a pint at the local chain store, you could buy a half-gallon at the Oriental market.

I’m looking for something that allows for woking at high temps and that would impart a similar flavor.

Chumplet
09-06-2008, 10:29 PM
Canola oil has a high flash point. Doesn't compromise the flavour either. But I don't know about the availability in the States. It's quite common and cheap in Canada. It's also healthier than peanut oil, although not as healthy as olive oil, which has a lower flash point.

vixey
09-06-2008, 10:42 PM
Another option would be grapeseed oil for a high flash point.

As for peanut oil, my husband uses it in a turkey fryer. He buys it in gallon+ containers from our Walmart. But they stop carrying it out of season. If you can't find it in your local grocery store, a camping store might have it.

L M Ashton
09-07-2008, 05:53 AM
Virgin coconut oil is excellent and is the most commonly used oil in curries in this area, but it definitely has a coconut flavour. In curries, because the amount used isn't great, it's a subtle flavour addition. In deep frying, (high smoke point, too) I don't usually notice it. But I don't use coconut oil in making mayo because there the flavour is too strong and it just doesn't work for me.

tjwriter
09-07-2008, 09:34 PM
Another option would be grapeseed oil for a high flash point.

As for peanut oil, my husband uses it in a turkey fryer. He buys it in gallon+ containers from our Walmart. But they stop carrying it out of season. If you can't find it in your local grocery store, a camping store might have it.

Our local Walmart has taken to carrying peanut oil year around now, after doing this for a couple of years.

threedogpeople
09-07-2008, 11:11 PM
This is a good article on the types of oils with cooking temps.

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art14617.asp