Research websites

wacker

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

To begin with I don't know if I am in the section to as this question. Anyway here goes:

What I am trying to find out is: gathering a list of websites for the purpose of research. the fields I am trying to look at are:

Organized Crime - modern day mafia/gangs, Russian & Italian mafias of the past
Serial Killers
Child killers - where children are the victims. also where children are the killers - such as the Jamie Bulger case
pedophiles - again where children are victims, either surviving or dead as a result
Sex crimes - this speaks for itself
Child abuse - crimes leading up to and being the cause of death for these young children

As a child abuse victim myself, I will find it extremely difficult to approach any of these subjects. But as a writer I feel an intense urge welling up inside me, to explore these.

I would eventually like to have a novel published, perhaps with one or two of these subjects as the driving force behind it.

However If any of these are going to be a driving force for my novel, I need to thoroughly investigate and research these areas in order to have a better understanding of:
what went through the minds of theses killers
Why were the children such an easy target for the killers who preyed upon them.
What life is like now for the survivors of these attackers and also what life has been like for the families of these murderous killers, since they lost their loved ones.

These are just some of the questions that I would like to be able to research.

So folks IF ANYONE can suggest some useful websites which I maybe able use for research, I would be very grateful.

I think it would also be beneficial to all aspiring writers out there to have these vast and varied websites at hand in their research folder for future reference. So folks It would be appreciated if you could help out here.

Thanking everyone in advance

Wacker

Minister

Unpredictable preacher
Registered
Reaction score
In the South-East, once again - of Michigan this t
Website
www.tominister.blogspot.com
It's not a website... but here's a great resource: your local law enforcement personnel. Whoever handles crimes of those sorts in your area would very likely be willing to have you buy them lunch and pick their brains about resources. They may be able to point you toward (or even loan you) textbooks on the fields you're interested in and websites with useful information. You'll get more personal color that way too. Just drop by the sheriff's office or police station at a slow time and chat with whoever is up front. Let them know you're a writer, researching for a novel, just looking for some general information about particular kinds of crime. Most of the time, if you handle it politely, someone will be glad to talk to you.

wacker

Registered
Reaction score
Tehuti88 and Minister thank you for the information. I will put these on my to-do list for the moment, to see what other information comes about.

Again thank you for your co-operation and help.

wacker

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
You could try doing it the easy way and let those sites come to you. Set up a Google Alert for your areas of interest. Every time one of your areas of interest is discussed on the web on blogs, news reports, discussion groups etc., Google will email a link to the site. I've found it to be a very handy research tool.
Linnea

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I"m going to move this off to the research forum. There are some folks there with serious Google-fu.

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
The library will also have some excellent references on organized crime and serial killers. I recently had to look up the Black Dahlia case and found about four books just on that. And I know I spotted a book on organized crime in the last few weeks.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Wikipedia.

Yep. Get a quick overview and probably a handful of new search terms to use. Always check out the links at the bottom of the Wiki article, which can take you to some great resources and professional articles.

wacker

Registered
Reaction score
ishtar'sgate, Katiemac, Linda Adams and Soccer Mom thank you for replying. Especially to you Soccer Mom for putting it in the proper forum section.

I will take a look at all the above mentioned information shortly. Thanks again for responding.

Wacker