PDA

View Full Version : am I the only one? diet not.

DL Hegel
09-06-2008, 06:07 PM
My diet(as in what i eat) is a high carb/high calorie/highfiber--low fat--I eat alot. and i exercise. Why do so many women strive to be small--sz 2 or a 4. Some gals are naturally a small size--which is great-- and they don't skip a meal to get there.
the average in the states is about a size 12 which I think looks great on alot of gals--size depends on the cut of the clothes too--you could where a 10 in one thing and a 14 in another--just numbers right?
I am kinda of worried about some of these young gals--chips and a bite of a hamburger are not a meal--and not eating causes health problems--am I alone?

maestrowork
09-06-2008, 06:20 PM
No you're not alone. Some of the people (not just girls) look very unhealthy -- and what are their parents saying?

I think being healthy is important -- and if you look great because of that, better! But it's all about healthy diet, portion size, and exercise.

I am, however, concerned about your high carb/high calories diet. Obviously, if it works for you, but I'm not sure if it's entirely healthy. I think a more balanced meal would be better, but that's my opinion.

regdog
09-06-2008, 06:35 PM
Sad fact is DL girls are taught from a young age that they must be thin. Too many girls have their entire value as a human being decided by how think they are, how pretty they are, not by the brains, deeds or charcater as a person. Look at magazines, television movies all those bimbos are size 0-2. My left leg isn't a size 2. I think the last time I was a size 2 is when I was 2.

And a whole lot of these girls get this from their own mothers as well. I know a woman who is absolutely wrapped up innothing more than her weight and the weight of her grandchildren. She actually started lecturing her son and daughter in law about making sure their one year old, yes, one year old didn't get too fat because baby fat is the hardest fat to take off and if the baby was chubby the kid would be fat forever.

It's pathetic and one of the most common abuses of young girls today.

Kitrianna
09-06-2008, 08:14 PM
Hey now! I'm a size 6...well maybe a 4 by now and I eat...usually. The last few weeks should not be used as a barometer of my eating habits. My diet is high in fruits and veggies which also means fiber. It's not because I want to be Twiggy, that's what i enjoy eating. Meat generally disagrees with me as does fatty food. Grains while healthy, are generally tasteless. THat's my story and I'm sticking to it. Besides Kthrok says that I've never looked better. :)

Kthrok
09-06-2008, 08:19 PM
thing she leaves out is that she could be 1200lbs and still look good to me :tongue:

Kitrianna
09-06-2008, 08:21 PM
thing she leaves out is that she could be 1200lbs and still look good to me :tongue:

That's it...no more beatings for you! You have now officially been a very bad boy! :D

Williebee
09-06-2008, 08:24 PM
and if you look great because of that, better!
And she does, btw.

But I'm thinking DL has a more active day than most folks.

DL, you aren't alone. We worried about it with our kid. Being raised in a house that was mostly vegetarian, in a town that was just confused by the idea, didn't make it easier.

Something that bugs me just as much is the way "sizes" get manipulated by clothing makers. What once was an 8 or a 14 is now, maybe, somewhere close to whatever.

Clair Dickson
09-06-2008, 08:27 PM
I will never be a size 2. I'm just above the bottom weight for my height-- 5'7"-- and my hip bones will never ever fit into a size 2 pair of pants, even if I had no butt. Good thing I'm smart enough to realize that I am simply not built to be a petite little size 2.

But it's mind boggling to me how such an arbitrary number rules so many otherwise intelligent (to give them the benefit of the doubt) women's lives. They look at how much they weigh and what size pants they wear and fret over how "fat" they are. Somedays, when I'm bitter, I figure they deserve all the stress they create when they obsess over their pant size and weight.

I'm in your camp DL-- I eat healthy, recognize the difference between bored and hungry, and know that I look pretty good for my height, regardless of the fact that I wear a size 10 (or 12 some days).

And I think, as much as media can cause influence, parents are extremely crucial to the fight. My mom never talked about being 'fat' or "dieting", she just loaded up the table, cupboards, and fridge with healthy foods and always told me how smart and pretty I was. Smart came first. So, I remember watching the teen girls on TV or in the lunch room at school when I was a teen myself, and wanting to smack them for the drama, and the obsession with weight while they limited lunch to fries (um, if you're worried abouy our weight... why don't you have an APPLE instead??).

Yeshanu
09-06-2008, 08:52 PM
I don't remember there ever being something so absurd as a size 0 when I was younger, and size 2 was meant for two-year-olds.

I went to the gym, and they did fat tests and fitness tests and what have you, and the woman there said my ideal weight should be between 180 and 185 pounds. (Edited: Ooops!Thanks, Dama Negra. I have big bones, but not *that* big!)

I'm 5' 4", but I'm very muscular in my legs and arms, and I *do* have big bones, all kidding aside, and in order for me to be the weight that the doctor's charts say I should be, I'd have to lose all my fat (not a realistic or healthy proposition) and a good portion of my muscle, or my bones would have to deteriorate somewhat.

I'm a lot happier now knowing what my healthy weight really is. I've been there, and I can be there again, and I want to be that weight not because society says I should be, but because I want to do all of the things I used to do but can't any more.

DL Hegel
09-06-2008, 09:02 PM
And she does, btw.

But I'm thinking DL has a more active day than most folks.

DL, you aren't alone. We worried about it with our kid. Being raised in a house that was mostly vegetarian, in a town that was just confused by the idea, didn't make it easier.

Something that bugs me just as much is the way "sizes" get manipulated by clothing makers. What once was an 8 or a 14 is now, maybe, somewhere close to whatever.
Willie seen me in person so he knows;)
And good point about the sizes I make clothes and what use to be a 12 can be a 16 because of the cut and design. I just worry when a girl that ways a 100lbs soaking wet tells me she is fat. So i look at them and say am I fat? --they always say no then I tell them I weigh 165--because I stay pretty much the same weight. Positive body image i think is very important.

GLAZE_by_KyrstinMc
09-06-2008, 09:20 PM
I'm 5'7", and a size 12... I don't consider myself fat, I have curves. Being skinny is unattractive in my opinion, a girl with curves and natural body fat looks much better.

Chumplet
09-06-2008, 09:29 PM
For most of my life I hovered between a size 6 and 8, sometimes pushing a 12. Now that I've hit 'mentalpause' my metabolism came to a screeching halt and I'm back to a 12. I'd like to be a 10 or an 8 again but I don't particularly want to break my neck with exercise, although I know I should walk more to make up for the changes in my body.

With the kids in college or working in the evenings in the last couple of weeks, I haven't made the big meat and potatoes meal I always felt obliged to prepare. Thus, after only two week my pants aren't choking the hell out of me.

I'm just 5'2" with narrow hips, so ten pounds makes a big difference in my profile.

What I don't get is all the talk about North America having an increase in youth obesity, when every teenager I see looks like a stick. Go figure.

CaroGirl
09-06-2008, 09:44 PM
I'm 5'7", and a size 12... I don't consider myself fat, I have curves. Being skinny is unattractive in my opinion, a girl with curves and natural body fat looks much better.
Because of genetics and metabolism I'd be considered skinny. I eat well and excercise when I can but I don't think I'm unattractive. :cry:

My daughter is 8 and of average size: neither skinny nor fat. She eats a lot but is quite active. She tells me she thinks her thighs look fat. When she wears a bathing suit she feels self-conscious about her legs. She's EIGHT. She doesn't get that from us so she must get it from school or TV. I don't know. It worries me.

Susie
09-06-2008, 09:59 PM
Then I must be very attractive. :D My mom was picking on me constantly about losing weight and I couldn't stand it anymore. I just told her to knock it off, she has left me alone about it, thankfully.

Beach Bunny
09-06-2008, 10:44 PM
I lived in Hollywood, CA for six years. What they don't tell you about those size 0-2 actresses is:
They are VERY TINY, not just in height, but in width or skeletal frame.

I won't name names. I remember one famous actress who was being bludgeoned in the press for being "big". Then, I saw her in the mall and she was lilliputian in size. I was so surprised. And no she hadn't lost weight or anything. She looked the same as she did on television. :rolleyes:

A woman of normal size and weight is considered "big." Someone really needs to give the PTBs in Hollywood a reality check.

Elaine Margarett
09-06-2008, 11:03 PM
Clothing sizes have changed!

I weigh the same as I did in high school, where despite being petite my jeans were a size 8. (It's the badonk-a-donk). Now my jeans are a 6 and depending on dress sizes, I can wear a 4. I think clothing manufactures make bigger clothes in smaller sizes to attract more customers. <shrug>

NeuroFizz
09-06-2008, 11:52 PM
I agree that looks should be only a part in the equation that determines attractiveness, along with intelligence, kindness, sense of humor, and a number of other personal qualities. However, that applies to women of all sizes and weights. I'd hate to think that some of the people arguing for this more complete equation here are also automatically assuming that ALL small women (single digit sizes) are shallow, weight and appearance-obsessed bimbos. That would subtract from a very important component of the numerator in your personal equation.

maestrowork
09-07-2008, 12:06 AM
I happen to like curvy women. Just thought I would set the record straight.

katiemac
09-07-2008, 12:12 AM
Clothing sizes have changed!

I weigh the same as I did in high school, where despite being petite my jeans were a size 8. (It's the badonk-a-donk). Now my jeans are a 6 and depending on dress sizes, I can wear a 4. I think clothing manufactures make bigger clothes in smaller sizes to attract more customers. <shrug>

They do. I've seen articles that discuss the average sizes changing. It's not retailers, either. Marilyn Monroe was, what? A size 10 or 12? The current images of her have been photoshopped around so she's closer to a 4 or 6. True.

Rolling Thunder
09-07-2008, 12:24 AM
Did anyone else catch the story on Network TV last night about that eating disorder involving healthy food? I caught some of it but I think the terminology was orthorexia?

Brutal Mustang
09-07-2008, 12:43 AM
I am kinda of worried about some of these young gals--chips and a bite of a hamburger are not a meal--and not eating causes health problems--am I alone?

No, you're not. What a lot of young girls don't realize, is that if they're gonna eat so little, they'd better make what they eat extremely nutritious. It kills me when they eat so little, and then when they eat, it's crap their bodies don't need (like chips and cookies).

Some celebs and models who need to be lean for the camera are thin yet healthy, because their diets are very balanced and "streamlined" (their bodies are getting what they need [and only what they need!]).

rhymegirl
09-07-2008, 01:47 AM
I watched "How To Look Good Naked" on cable one night. I was pleasantly surprised to see how the host helped women of various shapes and sizes feel happier about their bodies.

One mom was causing her daughter to question/dislike her body because of the negative way she spoke about her own body. The daughter was weighing herself every other day. She thought her tummy was too big, etc. I thought they were both fine just the way they were.

In one part of the show, the host showed the teenage daughter 3 life-size pictures of female bodies (dressed in two-piece swimsuits/exercise outfits) without the heads. He asked her to comment on all of them and then asked which one she liked best. She ended up choosing the picture of her own body!

So, in the end, after helping them choose outfits that flattered their figures, having them talk to some people, trying to help them learn some ways to re-think what is attractive, some photo shoots, etc., the mom and daughter ended up feeling much better about themselves.

I've always said we women are bombarded with messages from the media about how we should look and we question ourselves if we don't live up to the standards. Maybe the tide will turn if the message starts sinking in that all women are different and we have to embrace all the things that make us special and beautiful regardless of how much we weigh or what size we wear.

Stlight
09-07-2008, 07:05 AM
I’ve lived some of it with my grandmother saying no woman should weigh more than 100 lbs. She was 4’11” others aren’t. My mother saying 110 lbs tops. But there is a catch that you have to be clever about. Though my grandmother was thin, my mother was a little cuddle bunny and was projecting her anorexia on to me. I figured this out when, two inches taller than she, I put on her wedding dress and it hung all around.

Maybe pedestrians and children’s services can help, maybe not with the new wave of children are overweight, thin is good.

The worse cases of projected anorexia, IMO are when someone makes their dog or cat starvation thin, with their bones showing, instead of doing it to themselves. They won’t listen to their vets about it either.

Stlight

DamaNegra
09-07-2008, 07:57 AM
Yeah, I lose my patience when girls around me whine about being fat when they clearly aren't. I mean, I know I'm not thin, and I'll never be because I refuse to give up on yummy food and cannot currently exercise (no, not even walking for more than 10 minutes straight :( and I've always loved sports, too). I used to be one of those people, and it was horrible. I even stopped eating for a while, and that sucked. I've never been so unhappy in my life.

So every time a friend starts whining about being fat, I squeeze my fat rolls and tell them: "THIS is fat, look! look! it's bouncy!" So yeah, it's disgusting, but they stop whining and start feeling better about themselves. At least they don't bounce ;)

StoryG27
09-07-2008, 08:23 AM
I really fear I've messed up with my daughter, who has a tiny little build and is adorable. I hate my body. I know, that is completely wrong to say nowadays, but I do, I can't stand looking at myself for too long in a mirror. I've always been that way, whether I was a size 0 or a size 8. I was chubby as a kid and teased about it, and then in middle school I was normal, athletic build, then in HS, I developed an eating disorder. Dropped down to 89 lbs. I recovered and held steady for years at a great weight (though I still hated my body) but have recently gained some weight (now I really hate it, but it's okay because now I actually have a reason to hate it). I know that is taboo to say anymore, but it doesn't change the feeling. I'm really having to shut up about it though because my daughter is just amazing and she is simply mimicking me and I don't want her feeling that way about herself. I know how miserable it is. I don't want to be the reason she develops a distorted body image. Other than complimenting her and not insulting myself in front of her, I really don't know what else to do for her.

GLAZE_by_KyrstinMc
09-07-2008, 04:56 PM
Because of genetics and metabolism I'd be considered skinny. I eat well and excercise when I can but I don't think I'm unattractive. :cry:

My daughter is 8 and of average size: neither skinny nor fat. She eats a lot but is quite active. She tells me she thinks her thighs look fat. When she wears a bathing suit she feels self-conscious about her legs. She's EIGHT. She doesn't get that from us so she must get it from school or TV. I don't know. It worries me.

Uh-oh!

I mean girls in their attempts to become negative sizes are unattractive, there is beauty in everyone really. I'm sure your gorgeous. I am sorry for lack of sensitivity to my words. :(

When I was eight I had the same problem as your daughter... I always thought I was fat and everyone was staring at me, while I was actually a healthy weight.

I think most of that came from the fact I looked older than everyone else. So I was bigger. Where I also got it from was the other girls in my class (some of them were stick-thin because they were so young and nimble... I was not nimble) and TV. Lots of the stars even on children's TV were very, very thin. I felt ugly and fat watching them.

It very sad how such young mind's can even percieve themselves that way. :(

GLAZE_by_KyrstinMc
09-07-2008, 04:57 PM
Then I must be very attractive. :D My mom was picking on me constantly about losing weight and I couldn't stand it anymore. I just told her to knock it off, she has left me alone about it, thankfully.

Haha, I'm sure you're beautiful no matter your weight. :)

Ol' 61
09-07-2008, 05:44 PM
Did anyone else catch the story on Network TV last night about that eating disorder involving healthy food? I caught some of it but I think the terminology was orthorexia?

My husband's mother and sister, I believe,have this disorder. My mother in law is 85, has had 5 children, survived the Greaat Depression and her then-new husband being off in England flying fighter planes, now has early stages of Alzheimers, and she still thinks she's fat. She's about 4'10". I think, once you've hit that point in your life, you can weigh what you want. Since I've known her, she has obsessed over what she eats--and what others eat. I put sugar in my iced tea once, and she was horrified.

To my sister-in-law's credit, she has an auto-immune disease, and she is very obsessive about what she eats. But she insists we eat organic food when she's here, and it's just not within my budget to do that for everything I put in my mouth. When she visited last, I cracked open a Coke (my one and only vice), and she read me the riot act, followed by "I don't want you to get diabetes." For God's sake, if I had to spend all my life worrying about getting a disease, I'd have no time for living it. What really irritated me about it is that it's not her freakin' bidness. If the dr. says to stop drinking Coke, I will, maybe.

I like sugar. I like chips. I like cookies. I love donuts. I love to eat out. But I also eat my broccoli. I like oatmeal for breakfast any time of the year. I love summer because of the abundance of fresh, localy grown produce. Yeah, I coud probaby weigh less. But, really, I'm pretty healthy. I will admit to this, though. I have to get off my backside and start moving. Maybe I'll go for a walk--if it ever stops raining!

For the record, I am 5 feet tall. I'm not going to reveal my weight, but let's just say I've had two kids, and I'm 47. And yeah, I'm lazy,too!

Brutal Mustang
09-07-2008, 05:57 PM
I know how miserable it is. I don't want to be the reason she develops a distorted body image. Other than complimenting her and not insulting myself in front of her, I really don't know what else to do for her.

It's good not to insult yourself in front of her, even when she's 50, because there will come a time when people will tell her, "You look so much like your mother."

It happened to me.

My mom has a HORRIBLE self-esteem problem. I grew up thinking she was ugly, because that's what she constantly told me. And then later on in life, people started telling me I look like my mom. :eek:

maestrowork
09-07-2008, 07:30 PM
I don't know what y'all are talking about... ;)

I have a bad body image because I was underweight. It wasn't like I didn't eat, but I had a really high metabolism and I was very active (sports and such). At 5'10, I was only 125 pounds in HS, with a 27" waist. I was not really skin and bones -- I had muscles. I was just really lean. My friends teased me, because they were more jock-like. And in college my girlfriends teased me because they weighed more than I did.

In my mid-20s I started to lift weights to build bulk. And I also got into the healthy eating thing, even though I couldn't gain weight if I had eaten a whole cow. I did the whole protein shakes thing (they were yucky).. I gained 15 pounds in a few weeks and I was amazed by how I felt.

The thing is, body image is really weird thing. I still think of myself as skinny. And then now I have a really weird thoughts about my body when I look at the mirror -- it's both skinny and fat (around the middle). :) For a while I just let it go a bit -- my metabolism is not the same as I was younger and I also wasn't as active as before. So I was really out of shape for a while. But now I've gotten back to healthy eating and exercising moderately, I feel good again. Just not the body image, but generally feel healthier and more energetic.

I think we men have the same thing going on as well, but maybe less pressure than women. If we men are overweight or out of shape, we're not going to get the flak from other guys or our lady friends or spouses. Still, we see all those images on TV and movies (McDreamy, McHunky, whatever), ads (have anyone noticed how many more naked men are in advertisement now? What's going on?)... and Men's Health magazine made us feel really inadequate. The younger generation is also more into bodybuilding and getting fit so you feel kind of bad about yourself when you see them at the gym. It's one thing to feel good about yourself inside and then there's another thing to feel intimidated or pressured by all the fit, athletic dudes around you. Then you try to play a game of basketball with these guys and you REALLY feel it, and know how out of shape you are.

And then you go out and try to get a date... yeah, you can say personality counts the most; still, women like a hunky guy better than an out of shape dude (speaking from experience here -- maybe I need to get out more). What I'm saying is, when you're still in the dating game, body image is even more important. Everyone judges everyone on their looks.

For me, I'm still struggling with my body image a bit -- and it's not the same as women, I don't think. To me, it's more about trying to fit in, trying to look healthy because I was always teased for being "weak" and "skinny ass." It's not a good thing when you were growing up and the guys were picking on you. I have an advantage of being tall (by Chinese standards anyway), but still, the feeling of emasculation because you're not as muscular or "big" as the other guys is just as damaging to a boy's self-esteem.

I have to say, now that I'm eating right, working out, and being active makes me feel good inside and out. Maybe I am shallow for feeling the need to look the best I can. But I don't regret it. I feel much better than I did just a few years ago, when I was just "letting it go."

BTW, i'm 160 lbs, 32" waist, brown eyes, black hair. Very attractive. Call me.

Mela
09-07-2008, 07:31 PM
Well, in 1999 my system did something wacky and totally rejected carbs - it was the first stages of peri-men. I couldn't have any more than, like 11 carbs at one time or I would feel horrible. So I got most of my energy through eating fat - mostly cheese. I was down to a size 2 - I'm 5'1" and at my slimmest was 115 - and I did look way too thin.
In 2005, deep into peri-men at this point, my system did the reverse and suddenly it needed carbs and now I can't give up a single carb during the day - I have to eat atleast 80 carbs or I'll start feeling weak and light-headed (see my post from Friday, when lunch was late!!) And that's without exercising - If I exercised, I'd probably need an additional 20.

So I've gained roughly 40 pounds and went from a size 2 to a size 10 and it was VERY HARD to look at myself in the mirror after being so thin. Now I've adjusted - I still think my body's carrying an extra 20 pounds and I don't like the huskiness in my face but it seems there's nothing I can do about that right now until my system balances itself out. Generally, I think as you age you have to have more going for you than looks, or you're going to be a mess.

Case in point: A female acquaintance is 56 years old, 5'6" and VERY THIN - maybe 116 at the most. I look at her and get scared - if anything happened to her, say she discovered she had cancer, I don't think she'd survive based on her current state of mal nutrition. She told me once she doesn't eat because she's paranoid of gaining weight.

I often wonder what women like her actually SEE when they look in the mirror?

maestrowork
09-07-2008, 07:38 PM
I often wonder what women like her actually SEE when they look in the mirror?

Mirrors lie, by the way. It tells us what we want to see -- whether you have a self-image problem (too thin, too fat), or you delude yourself into thinking you look great.

I find that it's true. But when I took pictures of myself (in swimming trunks, etc.), I finally saw I really looked like. That was all the motivation I needed to get healthy and back in shape.

DamaNegra
09-07-2008, 10:23 PM
Mirrors lie, by the way. It tells us what we want to see -- whether you have a self-image problem (too thin, too fat), or you delude yourself into thinking you look great.

I find that it's true. But when I took pictures of myself (in swimming trunks, etc.), I finally saw I really looked like. That was all the motivation I needed to get healthy and back in shape.

Damn! I always look thinner on the mirror than I do on pictures, I'd always assumed the camera was lying. You know, the same effect as in 'TV makes you look fatter'?

I've been struggling with weight issues lately. In the last year, I had problems with both of my knees and needed surgery on one, lately I've been suffering a lot from back problems. I used to exercise a lot, 'cause I love it, and that kept me kinda fit (I never was and never will be thin because of body build). However, having to abruptly stop doing exercise was shit for me. I've gained at least 5 kilos in a year, which is a lot. People tell me I don't look like I'm 10 kg overweight, but my knees can sure feel it. Dieting doesn't work for me, so I've no way to lose that weight without exercise, it's a vicious circle.

It's taken me too much time to come into terms with my body. As I said in the previous post, I used to hate it. I still have trouble sometimes looking at myself in the mirror and realizing all the bumps in the wrong places, but mostly I accept it. So when a person weighing half of what I do (I weight 70 kg, about 140 lbs) and having one fourth my body fat starts complaining about being fat, of course I get defensive! Of course I get angry! Because if those people are really fat, then what am I? Freaking Jabba the Hutt? So yeah, I have no patience for them. It's taken me too much effort to accept myself the way I am to have them trampling all over it.

Bubastes
09-07-2008, 10:36 PM
I've always struggled with my body image. I remember being called "fatso" when I was 9 by family "friends" (both kids and their parents) and I was obsessed with dieting throughout my junior high and high school years. Being Asian didn't help because I was expected to be this petite, tiny thing when in reality I was more curvy and would never look like the stereotypical size 0 Asian girl even if I starved myself. I put on a lot of weight in college because of binge eating from stress. I did manage to lose most of it when I finally got fed up and started eating better and exercising.

Now? I'm still not thrilled with my body, but I care less and I refuse to diet. I enjoy food too much. My mantra is "eat less, but eat better," and I don't deny myself anything I want. Eating slowly and keeping up with the exercise has kept things under control for the most part, although I wish I were in better shape. I was in killer shape several years ago when I was weight training and running regularly and I did like my body even though my mother was constantly afraid of me looking like a bodybuilder. I liked being curvy, buff and cut (MeowGuy especially loved how my back looked), but the negative messages from my mother about looking strong still nagged at me.

James81
09-07-2008, 10:53 PM
I happen to like curvy women. Just thought I would set the record straight.

Most guys do.

MaryMumsy
09-07-2008, 10:57 PM
So when a person weighing half of what I do (I weight 70 kg, about 140 lbs) and having one fourth my body fat starts complaining about being fat, of course I get defensive! Of course I get angry! Because if those people are really fat, then what am I? Freaking Jabba the Hutt?

I had to laugh. Earlier this summer I had a photo taken at a booksigning with an author I already knew online. When he posted it to a forum we both belong to, I told my friend 'I look like Jabba the Hutt in drag'.

Yes, I'm overweight. I try to exercise and eat healthy, but it is difficult to overcome the genes of generations of French and German peasants. 'Strong, pull plow when ox is sick'.

MM

DamaNegra
09-07-2008, 11:11 PM
I had to laugh. Earlier this summer I had a photo taken at a booksigning with an author I already knew online. When he posted it to a forum we both belong to, I told my friend 'I look like Jabba the Hutt in drag'.

That would be more like Ziro the Hutt ;) (if you haven't seen the new clone wars movie, then you should know Ziro the Hutt is actually Jabba in a drag).

Hey! There's an idea. Come on, MaryMumsy, let us set up a crime empire! We'll be AW's most feared crime lords in no time! ( I knew there was an upside! :))

Elaine Margarett
09-07-2008, 11:43 PM

I have what I like to call a "magic mirror" at home. Maybe it's the angle, or maybe it's the fact my bedroom is on the dark side, but I look in it and think I look pretty good.<g> I also think it helps to not look too long, or too closely.

EM,
who likes her illusions :-)

Disa
09-08-2008, 01:20 AM
Just thought I'd share this link for those who might be interested. I really think it's our responsibility to raise our daughters with positive self images that are based more on their ideas and who they are rather than what they look like. I just subscribed to this for my neice.

http://newmoon.org/magazine/

Elaine Margarett
09-08-2008, 01:25 AM
Boy was I surprised when I got on the scale and it read 136 lbs! I would have never thought Id be called too skinny at 136 lbs. But, like I said, Ive been weight training for years and at 136 lbs, I still wore a Size 6 and a Size 28 in jeans. (BTW-Im 57)

And this time, Im not listening to everyone else; Im doing it because I fell better physically and mentally at a twiggish 136 lbs. Twiggish? :ROFL:

My daughter is your size. She isn't twiggish, just naturally slender!

There was a time when she was sick (mono twice within a year. Then she started taking medication that made it hard for her to eat.) and she got down to a scary 110 lbs! She looked awful. (I was so afraid she'd like the gaunt, count-the-bumps-in-my-trachea look!)

I made it my mission to fatten her up. <g> Even now - since she's twenty and I know she skips meals - I'll drop whatever I'm doing and make her pancakes. ~ She can't resist.

:-)
EM

Clair Dickson
09-08-2008, 02:43 AM
Of course, there's that other side too, the "too thin" side. Until about puberty when I added... plummage to my tailfeathers and other curves, I constantly got quips about how I needed to eat more. I wasn't underweight, but I was certainly thinner than my average counterpart (and this was growing up in the 80s-90s.)

And honestly, here's a loaded question: why, as a society, do we put so much focus on how fat/ thin a woman is rather than intelligence? Or at least focusing on the fact that a woman can be super attractive if she's in proportion and HEALTHY. But I'd still rather focus on intelligence. You'll go farther in life with brains than boobs (unless you have Playboy boobs. I don't have enough body fat for Playboy boobs, but at least I can make the guys swoon when I crawl under the desk to fix the computer... ;-)

And just think, even a moderately attractive woman will get LOTS of positive attention if she's the only girl in a group of guys... so long as she is smart and confident. My experience/ observation is that the guys will often fall over eachother to get her attention. Don't need to be supermodel thin with gorgeous locks for that.

Confidence is FAR sexier than anything clothes or weight can do.

StoryG27
09-08-2008, 03:00 AM
I still feel pressure to be smart and strong, and I definitely felt it in HS when I developed the eating disorder. Along with being a size 0, I was also a star athlete and a straight A student. But it was never good enough. I didn't really figure it all out until I was about 27 (2 1/2 years ago). Then I have to go and quit smoking and replace a nicotine addiction with food. Now I feel and look terrible. I guess I didn't get to keep my balanced state for very long. I need to lose weight. I need to be back where I'm comfortable, size 4-6. I've never really been completely satisfied with my body, but I don't ever remember being this unhappy with it either.

Toothpaste
09-08-2008, 04:40 AM
Throw in being an actress into the mix.

I never really had issues with my body until I decided I wanted to be an actress. Now all I can see are actresses several sizes smaller than me, and the few my size as rare and they are always somehow losing 20 lbs and having that be a cover story on a magazine of some kind. I truly feel I will never be a success as an actress because I am not a size 0. Never mind that I have trained at some of the top theatre schools in the world, never mind that everyone I work with tells me I've got the goods. Nope, in my head I'm not going to make it because I'm too large.

I am pretty certain if I wasn't an actress I'd feel a lot better about myself, as it is I hate how much weight consumes my thoughts. It just isn't right. But I can't seem to get over it.

DamaNegra
09-08-2008, 04:47 AM
Throw in being an actress into the mix.

I never really had issues with my body until I decided I wanted to be an actress. Now all I can see are actresses several sizes smaller than me, and the few my size as rare and they are always somehow losing 20 lbs and having that be a cover story on a magazine of some kind. I truly feel I will never be a success as an actress because I am not a size 0. Never mind that I have trained at some of the top theatre schools in the world, never mind that everyone I work with tells me I've got the goods. Nope, in my head I'm not going to make it because I'm too large.

I am pretty certain if I wasn't an actress I'd feel a lot better about myself, as it is I hate how much weight consumes my thoughts. It just isn't right. But I can't seem to get over it.
You do know you could fit twice inside any of my clothes, right? Actually, I think you've got the perfect kind of body. You're thin but not skinny. You have just enough meat on your bones so that you look great while being slender, not looking as if you're about to pass away from illness or something.

Toothpaste
09-08-2008, 04:51 AM
Well thank you! And I'm not saying that I'm too fat or anything, I'm really not. Truly I think for the most part I am just fine. It's just the darn acting thing. Pragmatically I am not as skinny as any of the girls you see on film. Heck Anne Hathaway (who I adore) is skinnier than me, and she is considered a larger girl on film. She is constantly talking about her frustration at having to lose weight for certain roles. I remember hearing her say in an interview once that she and Emily Blunt (in The Devil Wears Prada) would cry together they were so hungry making that film.

Fact is, we all know it's wrong, but if I looked like I was about to pass away from illness, as you put it, people in the industry might take more notice of me.

It's terrible. Truly terrible.

roncouch
09-08-2008, 05:15 AM
Ladies, ladies. Don't you know we men love you all? Most guys don't have a clue about dress sizes -don't care. It sounds like you gals are quibbling over a few pounds here and there. I eat a fairly healthy mix of carbs, protein, and fat, but quite often wolf down pizza, cookies, chips, ribs, and other things branded unhealthy and still weigh the same. It's a curse, ladies. A curse! 5'11', 180 lbs. Not fat, not skinny.

MaryMumsy
09-08-2008, 05:46 AM
Hey! There's an idea. Come on, MaryMumsy, let us set up a crime empire! We'll be AW's most feared crime lords in no time! ( I knew there was an upside! :))

Most people who know me already think I'm quite evil. But MaryMumsy is lacking a certain je ne sais quoi when it comes to names for evil overlords.

To find out how I got my name, go here:

http://www.scrivel.com/content/view/155/62/

MM

kristie911
09-08-2008, 06:36 AM
I've been on both ends of the spectrum...when I was in high school I was really active I weighed 120 lbs (I'm 5'11"). I didn't really think about how I looked except to wish I had boobs. Then I got a job (you know one of those where you sit all the time) and I gained weight. It didn't really bother me, I got boobs! :) I settled somewhere around 150 or so. Then I got married...and I was unhappy and somehow over the course of the next 5 years, I got up to 190. I didn't think much about it.

Then I got pregnant and suddenly I was 240. After my son was born, I dropped down to 225 but stayed there until I got sick of it. I was so desperately unhappy with my life but one day I just said to hell with it and set out to do what I could. Just because my life sucked didn't mean I had to live with it. I lost 50 lbs and got divorced. The "divorce diet" took off another 10 but I found those 10 again.

I wanted to lose more but I just couldn't seem to. I kept food diaries, I worked out. I lost inches but the scale didn't move. Then I started running. A lot. This summer I started competing in 5k's and am training for a half-marathon and a sprint triathlon next spring. I'm not fast but I'm consistant and I've watched my times drop. When I started running, I was lucky to get in a 14 minute mile. Now I can run an 8 min mile. I added a weight routine and got stronger. That was when I realized it didn't matter what size I was. I don't care how much I weigh. I'm healthy and I'm strong. My body is what I make it. I eat what I want for the most part but always in moderation and for the first time in years, I love my body. Okay, I could do without the stretch marks or the belly that will never be as firm as it was before I was pregnant but if that's what it took to have my son then so be it. :) I've tossed the food diaries and the scale. And I'm happier for it.

Yesterday I went to a birthday party and my cousin said this to me: "You look amazing. I've never seen you look so beautiful. You're happy. I've never seen you this happy." It brought tears to my eyes because she's right. I'm happy. I'm happy and healthy and strong.

What's not to love about that?

StoryG27
09-08-2008, 06:39 AM
Yesterday I went to a birthday party and my cousin said this to me: "You look amazing. I've never seen you look so beautiful. You're happy. I've never seen you this happy." It brought tears to my eyes because she's right. I'm happy. I'm happy and healthy and strong.

What's not to love about that?
That is awesome Kristie.

I'm happy for you.

:Hug2:

Clair Dickson
09-08-2008, 09:00 AM
kristie-- good for you. And you bring up a good point-- MUSCLE weighs more than FAT. So you can burn off fat while adding muscle and the net weight loss is less than if you just lose fat. But in the fixation on scale numbers and pant sizes, many women can't see this. They look at the scale and forget that how they feel is more important.

My SIL was going to one of those 30-min female fitness places, but when she stopped "loosing weight" she didn't want to go anymore, started skipping sessions in her routine, then finally just stopped. She didn't seem to notice how she felt better, was more active in general, and had more energey (my brother noticed). Only years later does she now realize how she's since fallen out of shape again. But when the scale stopped moving she lost interest.

maestrowork
09-08-2008, 09:16 AM
kristie-- good for you. And you bring up a good point-- MUSCLE weighs more than FAT. So you can burn off fat while adding muscle and the net weight loss is less than if you just lose fat. But in the fixation on scale numbers and pant sizes, many women can't see this. They look at the scale and forget that how they feel is more important.

Muscle also burns calories faster, and you'll have a higher metabolism. Lose fat, gain muscle. It's a good two-prong approach.

Also, not only women have the eating disorder or obsession about their bodies. Men do, too. I've seen a dangerous trend of men trying to get their body fat as low as possible. 5%, 3%. Dude, that's just sick. Your body needs fat. 8% is lean enough.

And then you see some of the bodybuilders -- they just look gross.

http://members.lycos.nl/tijdspiegel/pics/bodybuilder.jpg

Sorry, he must think he's the Hulk. I personally don't know any woman who would want to sleep with this guy...

Cranky
09-08-2008, 06:20 PM
I don't know what y'all are talking about... ;)

I have a bad body image because I was underweight. It wasn't like I didn't eat, but I had a really high metabolism and I was very active (sports and such). At 5'10, I was only 125 pounds in HS, with a 27" waist. I was not really skin and bones -- I had muscles. I was just really lean. My friends teased me, because they were more jock-like. And in college my girlfriends teased me because they weighed more than I did.

In my mid-20s I started to lift weights to build bulk. And I also got into the healthy eating thing, even though I couldn't gain weight if I had eaten a whole cow. I did the whole protein shakes thing (they were yucky).. I gained 15 pounds in a few weeks and I was amazed by how I felt.

The thing is, body image is really weird thing. I still think of myself as skinny. And then now I have a really weird thoughts about my body when I look at the mirror -- it's both skinny and fat (around the middle). :) For a while I just let it go a bit -- my metabolism is not the same as I was younger and I also wasn't as active as before. So I was really out of shape for a while. But now I've gotten back to healthy eating and exercising moderately, I feel good again. Just not the body image, but generally feel healthier and more energetic.

I think we men have the same thing going on as well, but maybe less pressure than women. If we men are overweight or out of shape, we're not going to get the flak from other guys or our lady friends or spouses. Still, we see all those images on TV and movies (McDreamy, McHunky, whatever), ads (have anyone noticed how many more naked men are in advertisement now? What's going on?)... and Men's Health magazine made us feel really inadequate. The younger generation is also more into bodybuilding and getting fit so you feel kind of bad about yourself when you see them at the gym. It's one thing to feel good about yourself inside and then there's another thing to feel intimidated or pressured by all the fit, athletic dudes around you. Then you try to play a game of basketball with these guys and you REALLY feel it, and know how out of shape you are.

And then you go out and try to get a date... yeah, you can say personality counts the most; still, women like a hunky guy better than an out of shape dude (speaking from experience here -- maybe I need to get out more). What I'm saying is, when you're still in the dating game, body image is even more important. Everyone judges everyone on their looks.

For me, I'm still struggling with my body image a bit -- and it's not the same as women, I don't think. To me, it's more about trying to fit in, trying to look healthy because I was always teased for being "weak" and "skinny ass." It's not a good thing when you were growing up and the guys were picking on you. I have an advantage of being tall (by Chinese standards anyway), but still, the feeling of emasculation because you're not as muscular or "big" as the other guys is just as damaging to a boy's self-esteem.

I have to say, now that I'm eating right, working out, and being active makes me feel good inside and out. Maybe I am shallow for feeling the need to look the best I can. But I don't regret it. I feel much better than I did just a few years ago, when I was just "letting it go."

BTW, i'm 160 lbs, 32" waist, brown eyes, black hair. Very attractive. Call me.

My oldest son will be nine in January. Small for his age (we were so worried we took him to an endocrinologist when he was almost eight and he had the bones of a six year old, according to the bone study we had done), short and thin. He's just over forty pounds. I was the same way as a child, as was his father, who shot up when he turned sixteen.

Anyway, my point is that I think he's feeling pressure, too, because his schoolmates tease him about how "skinny" he is, and he talks about it quite frequently these days. Especially how skinny his arms are.

I used to think that since I didn't have girls, this body-image thing wouldn't be something I'd have to deal with (I have my own issues, thanks, like people thinking I'm not a "real" woman because I'm so small and petite, geeze I MUST have an eating disorder!/ranty), but it looks like something we have to deal with anyway. And I worry about the impact on his self-esteem, to be frank. :(

Thank goodness he loves soccer...ever see a soccer player with skinny legs? LOL!

ETA: OMG, that guy...I'm sorry to say it, but that much muscle freaks me out.

Kitrianna
09-08-2008, 06:26 PM
One thing everyone should remember and please do this not only for me, but mostly for yourselves. Remember that the size on that tag is just a number. Every manufacturer has different measurements for a particular size. So as long as you look healthy and feel good, what that silly little tag says shouldn't mean a damn thing! What matters most is how you percieve yourself-fat,skinny, curvy or flat. Be comfortable in your own skin and you'll always be sexy :)

Carole
09-08-2008, 06:38 PM
I, too, think a 12 is a good size for me. The problem is finding a consistent 12 in clothing that actually fits. I am happy in a 10 and I've even been an 8 for about a minute and a half a few years ago. But I like the curves I have when I am a 12. I have what they call the "classic" figure in that my waist is always about 10 inches smaller than my hips, regardless of what size I am. But today I learned something very interesting. Apparently, according to a new diet craze, I should strive to weight about 114 pounds. *gulp* 114 pounds? I can't remember ever in my adult life weighing 114 pounds. I've had hip bones that stuck out and I've had a flat stomach and those things happened at about 160 pounds. So what on earth is this 114 pounds thing they speak of?

Mela
09-08-2008, 06:46 PM
And honestly, here's a loaded question: why, as a society, do we put so much focus on how fat/ thin a woman is rather than intelligence?

That's what I'm saying Clair. In the long run you need more going for you than what you look like.

Kitrianna
09-08-2008, 06:47 PM
114 lbs? Are they insane???! I weigh 150 right now...well somewhere there's about and I have the lovely hourglass figure with a relatively flat stomach (hey, give a girl a break. My kids stretched me to hell...all 3 of them) and I'm a puny size 6 (cause my hips can't get into a 4). 114 lbs...I'd be a zero or smaller. Do they make anything smaller?

I say we bring back the days of full, vuluptuous figures on women who not only look good, but feel good as well. Twiggy is just a foot note in history. Or at least she should be!

Kitrianna
09-08-2008, 07:31 PM
It makes me sad that you would get rid of your curves Krystal just because of other people. I have slight curves. They're nice. I would never get rid of them. I don't care if men stare leacherously and women get catty. Let `em. My body looks good because I care enough about myself to take care of it. Why shouldn't I show that off?

maestrowork
09-08-2008, 07:40 PM
Unfortunately, people do make a judgement based on appearance. That judgement should change as our personalities come through, but initial judgements seem to be based on appearance.
And here's what I have observed.

Yeah, we can be shallow like that. I mean, when I check someone out at Starbucks I'm not going to think "oh, she must be a wonderful person and a great conversationist." I am thinking, "boy, she looks hot."

The "wonderful person and great conversationist" part comes later if I didn't kill myself first trying to talk to her...

Kitrianna
09-08-2008, 07:42 PM
Yeah, we can be shallow like that. I mean, when I check someone out at Starbucks I'm not going to think "oh, she must be a wonderful person and a great conversationist." I am thinking, "boy, she looks hot."

The "wonderful person and great conversationist" part comes later if I didn't kill myself first trying to talk to her...

:roll: I can so picture the killing yourself while trying to talk to a woman part. Thanks for the laugh :)

Nakhlasmoke
09-08-2008, 07:46 PM
I like food way too much to diet.

the only reason I want to lose any weight is because I want to be flat - completely asexual looking. Not likely to happen with the cannons strapped to my chest, alas.

DL Hegel
09-08-2008, 09:33 PM
delude yourself into thinking you look great.

Pretty is is as pretty does. Confidence is very attractive. What is reality but what people believe it to be? Isn't beauty subjective? I believe in me so I am attractive. and i gots the feet to ruff them up if anybody says different;)

DL Hegel
09-08-2008, 10:32 PM
That's what I'm saying Clair. In the long run you need more going for you than what you look like.
My grandma told me beauty only lasts so long...but she never warned me about my brain goin' too;)

Kitrianna
09-08-2008, 11:26 PM
I still believe that beauty and brains can co-exist in people, but everyday I am proven more and more wrong. Since when has it become a good thing to act like a bimbo?

Eskimo1990
09-08-2008, 11:26 PM
I am on the bigger side. I know that. I hate it, but I like junk food too much to actually do anything about it. This summer I went to a thing called Encampment. Basically basic training. Its a week long thing. I lost over 10 pounds. Saturday, I went dress shopping for homecoming. Tried on a 16 as that was what I was last year around this time. Thing was too big, it was sort of falling on me. The dress I bought was a 14. I went down a whole dress size with out realizing it.
It made me feel good about my self, and want to lose more weight...but I'm not sure how I lost the weight in the first place. Well I know that I lost at least 15 of it from marching around all day and not eating as much as I had before because I had like 15 or less minutes to eat but that's another story lol

DL Hegel
09-08-2008, 11:29 PM
I still believe that beauty and brains can co-exist in people, but everyday I am proven more and more wrong. Since when has it become a good thing to act like a bimbo?
hey i was talking about oldtimers;)

Carole
09-09-2008, 01:28 AM
114 lbs! At 5'7"??? No way...

I'm actually 5' 4 3/4", not 5'7". :)

DL Hegel
09-09-2008, 04:09 AM
I'm actually 5' 4 3/4", not 5'7". :)
i wanted to be 5'7" too but alas didn't quite make it:(

Clair Dickson
09-09-2008, 04:25 AM
DL-- hey, wait, that's my line! I actually stand exactly 5' 6 3/4" inches. Just shy of the official "tall" marker. Tall enough to have to pay more for my jeans to have anything other than a 30-32inch inseam... =P

Why do girls act like bimbos? I think it's two fold-- it has proven before to get them what they want (or think they want, such as someone else taking care of, fixing, etc) and it absolves them of repsonsibility to learn/ pay attention. *Giggle-- I don't know anything about that! Giggle* Gag. My slappy hand has trouble around giggly girls...

Last time I checked, while men notice the hot women, most men know where they too are on the hotness scale, which affects whether or not they even attempt to chat it up with the hottie. There are many other settings besides Starbucks, so there are plenty of other places where men and women would meet up-- many of which may downplay the factor of looks. Sure, looks will always be part of a relationship-- it's how we're wired, but a confident woman is attractive even with extra pounds. She's not sulking in the corner in a shroud trying to be invisible (then wondering why no one notices her.) Guys notice that too.

Brutal Mustang
09-09-2008, 05:15 AM
When I started running, I was lucky to get in a 14 minute mile. Now I can run an 8 min mile.

Oh, fooey! Wish I could run an 8 min mile! I can barely run a nine minute mile, and I've been working on it for years.:Shrug:

kristie911
09-09-2008, 05:28 AM
Oh, fooey! Wish I could run an 8 min mile! I can barely run a nine minute mile, and I've been working on it for years.:Shrug:

My best time is officially 8:14. And once I'm done with that mile, I'm done...I've got nothing left. If I want to actually run more than a mile, I need to keep it between 9:30 and 10 min per mile. :)

StoryG27
09-09-2008, 05:45 AM
My best time is officially 8:14. And once I'm done with that mile, I'm done...I've got nothing left. If I want to actually run more than a mile, I need to keep it between 9:30 and 10 min per mile. :)
Before Hubster hurt his knee, he ran a 5K in 15 and a half minutes. Can you believe it? And he'd always say, let's go running. Pfff, I couldn't keep up with him at all, and he was going as slow as he could. I'm not a runner. I putter, and I'm perfectly fine with that.

Carole
09-09-2008, 06:10 AM
i wanted to be 5'7" too but alas didn't quite make it:(
Yeah, I always wanted to be tall. But I *am* the tall one (female) in the family. It's kinda comical, really.

rhymegirl
09-09-2008, 07:15 AM
DL-- hey, wait, that's my line! I actually stand exactly 5' 6 3/4" inches. Just shy of the official "tall" marker.

So 5'7" is the official start of being tall?

If so, then I guess I must be tall.

Clair Dickson
09-09-2008, 07:22 AM
That's what all the clothing companies tell me... "Tall" sizes are for folks over 5' 7". And that's when they actually make an inseam more than 30 or 32 inches. I have long legs... 30 inches is a joke. Plus, I like long pants that don't leave a draft on my ankle when I sit.

Of course, the other joke in women's clothes is that (I firmly believe) only a small precentage of women ACTUALLY fit in the clothes off the rack in "average" sizes and look good. I have to shop in juniors because I'm willowy and was hiding behind a door when the boobs were handed out.

StoryG27
09-09-2008, 07:36 AM
Man, I'm short. 5' 3". When I gain weight, there's no where to hide it. I'm jealous of all you leggy beauties.

NeuroFizz
09-09-2008, 04:19 PM
The foundation of self-esteem should always be good health (both physical and emotional). A healthful appearance is under-appreciated in favor of airbrushed images of sexually-charged body forms. Toothpaste has given us a first-hand glimpse into the world of acting, and Ray has shown one for bodybuilding. In both, the participants push themselves to the verge of physiological catastrophe to reach for some ever-shifting goal of "well, I'm not quite there."

Self-esteem doesn't come from surgery, from implants, from a bottle, a pill, or a figure-wrap. It doesn't come from a diet or a new set of vein-bulging muscles. These things may give a boost, but that leg-up doesn't significantly alter what is inside of one's skin, muscle and bones. And I have news for y'all. You are getting older. You are older now than when you started reading this post. And if there is one aspect of life that's hard on appearance, and that can't be reversed, it is age. Just take a look at your shower and medicine cabinet, though. How many lotions, special age-defeating gels, washes and pills do you have to try to get your appearance back to that high school "glow?" It ain't gonna work. Unless we want a self-esteem disaster when we get in and past middle age, it's high time to work on all of those internal qualities that are really what make us attractive and, yes, sexy. As far as the external aspects of self-esteem, we should strive for good health. But even that isn't going to go as far as good emotional health, which doesn't have to erode with age. But if we derive too much of our self esteem from our appearance, that emotional health eventually will be like a sand castle in a high surf zone on an incoming tide.

maestrowork
09-09-2008, 05:18 PM
Toothpaste has given us a first-hand glimpse into the world of acting, and Ray has shown one for bodybuilding.

And Fizzy has shown us the obsession with afros and muffin chops.

p.s. what Toothpaste said about acting is kind of true, especially for young actresses. I've seen some very attractive actresses or models who could use an extra 10 or 20 pounds. I did a photo shoot a few weeks ago and there were these two female models who were so thin I thought I could blow them away with a sneeze. Another model, however, was very "healthy" looking and she looked great. For character actors, however, weight is not the problem. Guys also are more relaxed by how they look physically. It's more about the face and confidence for actors -- of course, if you're a model you still should have a good body -- fat and modeling don't mix. Still, I think the guys tend to have a healthier sense about body image. I mean I don't have the best bodies but I still get jobs. It's not a factor.

Brutal Mustang
09-09-2008, 05:21 PM
Man, I'm short. 5' 3". When I gain weight, there's no where to hide it. I'm jealous of all you leggy beauties.

Me too! Sigh. At least my boobs are big for my size. :D

NeuroFizz
09-09-2008, 05:52 PM
At least my boobs are big for my size.

Do they feed a baby better than small ones?

I don't mean to signal you out, B., and I acknowledge the emoticon that indicated you were joking. However, many women feel this way for real. Truth be known, boobs are of limited utility in a romantic setting. They can only be kneaded so much before both participants get bored silly, and they can only be needed so much before other qualities of the woman (and her partner) become much more important to the health of the relationship.

Kitrianna
09-09-2008, 10:19 PM
Me too! Sigh. At least my boobs are big for my size. :D

I'm glad that mine aren't! It saves on backaches.

rhymegirl
09-10-2008, 01:12 AM
114 lbs? Are they insane???! I weigh 150 right now...well somewhere there's about....and I'm a puny size 6

Not that I really care that much about sizes, but I have been puzzling over this.

How can someone who weighs 150 wear a size 6?

Unless you're very tall?

ETA: I'm just wondering because last year when I started my diet plan I weighed about 152 and I wore a size 12.

Devil Ledbetter
09-10-2008, 01:50 AM
Not that I really care that much about sizes, but I have been puzzling over this.

Unless you're very tall?

ETA: I'm just wondering because last year when I started my diet plan I weighed about 152 and I wore a size 12.I'm puzzling too. I weigh 117 and am in either a 4 or 6, depending on the pants. When I weighed 134 I was a size 8.

I'm 5'5". And I'm not "puny." My bone structure would fall somewhere between small and medium.

rhymegirl
09-10-2008, 02:01 AM
I'm puzzling too. I weigh 117 and am in either a 4 or 6, depending on the pants. When I weighed 134 I was a size 8.

I'm 5'5". And I'm not "puny." My bone structure would fall somewhere between small and medium.

That sounds about right to me. I know some of it depends on the manufacturer--how they cut the clothes. At 135 I was wearing a size 10.

Devil Ledbetter
09-10-2008, 02:08 AM
Maybe Kitrianna isn't in the US? That could explain the difference if she lives somewhere where sizes are measured differently.

rhymegirl
09-10-2008, 02:33 AM
Maybe Kitrianna isn't in the US? That could explain the difference if she lives somewhere where sizes are measured differently.

Yes, that's true. I think she lives in Canada.

Bubastes
09-10-2008, 02:35 AM
I'm 5'2" and weigh 137, and I wear anything from a 4 to a 10 depending on the manufacturer. Size is a meaningless number.

Brutal Mustang
09-10-2008, 03:14 AM
Do they feed a baby better than small ones?

I don't mean to signal you out, B., and I acknowledge the emoticon that indicated you were joking. However, many women feel this way for real. Truth be known, boobs are of limited utility in a romantic setting. They can only be kneaded so much before both participants get bored silly, and they can only be needed so much before other qualities of the woman (and her partner) become much more important to the health of the relationship.

Oh boy! Can't believe I'm responding to this. You know what they're good for? The initial impression. When you're single and looking, that's important.:tongue

Brutal Mustang
09-10-2008, 03:15 AM
I'm glad that mine aren't! It saves on backaches.

I have a very strong back. Must be from the bodybuilding I do.;)

Silver King
09-10-2008, 03:20 AM
Yes, that's true. I think she lives in Canada.
I believe she does. There could be a metric conversion in there somewhere that we're missing.

I'm 5'2" and weigh 137, and I wear anything from a 4 to a 10 depending on the manufacturer. Size is a meaningless number.
That's very true. I've shopped for clothes with my wife dozens of times. She's considered petite because she's vertically challenged. In fact she's so short that sometimes when she's standing next to me, I mistake her for an end table and place my beer bottle atop her head.

Just kidding. She's not that short.

While shopping for clothes, I've noticed that even the generic Small to XXX-Large designation is also misleading. For example, while shopping for gowns recently to wear around the house (lounge wear I think it's called), she purchased, in the same store, one small, two medium and two large sizes. These were manufactured by three different companies, yet the gowns fit nearly the same. (I almost talked her into a silky leopard print number, but she claimed I don't need any additional encouragement...)

I don't know what manufacturers of clothing go by to designate sizes, but it seems that they could do a better job of consolidating widths and lengths to conform to an industry standard that makes it easier for consumers to purchase clothes. Why does a small size from one company equate to a medium or large size from another? It doesn't make sense.

RLB
09-10-2008, 03:34 AM
And then when you go to shop for a wedding dress, you're really in for size sticker shock. I bought a dress two or three sizes up from my normal clothes. Supposedly, wedding dresses are sized traditionally and other companies are putting smaller numbers on bigger clothes... for our self esteem? I have no idea.

Pagey's_Girl
09-10-2008, 05:36 AM
To borrow a line once used to describe Theda Bara, I'm short (five feet even) bosom-y and a trifle plump. Even when I was thin according to the charts, I didn't look all that thin. Right now I'm heavier than I'm comfortable being, so I'm working on slowly but steadily getting myself back in shape, and making a concerted effort to eat healthily. I'm deliberately not thinking of it as dieting because I know I'm going to have to make some permanent changes if I want to stay healthy.

Clair Dickson
09-10-2008, 06:38 PM
I can't speak for the other leggy folks around here, but there's nothing to be jealous of in the clothing department.

Unless you're the type to get jealous of tantrums next to the pants rack and clumps of ripped out hair by the tee shirts. None of which actually fit, some how.

And since I'm one of those thin leggy folks, I actually have to shop in the junior's department. I don't have enough boobs for "women's/ missues" (adult) clothes. And I'm 27. It's hard to dress professionally without looking like a kid when I have to shop in the Juniors.

This is why I shop in batches. If I find a brand/ piece of clothing I like, I will buy several at once.

DL Hegel
09-10-2008, 08:54 PM

Unless you're very tall?

ETA: I'm just wondering because last year when I started my diet plan I weighed about 152 and I wore a size 12.
If you buy expensive clothes they are more accomidating with the sizes. I have a dress at home that says small that cost me about $100 back in the 80's and it still fits;):roll:I think all clothes should be sized that way.

rhymegirl
09-10-2008, 10:03 PM
If you buy expensive clothes they are more accomidating with the sizes. I have a dress at home that says small that cost me about $100 back in the 80's and it still fits;):roll:I think all clothes should be sized that way.

I guess that's where I'm going wrong. I don't buy expensive clothes. I think the sizes run smaller in the expensive stores. Truthfully.

I'm thrifty. I look for all the bargains. To tell the truth, I've never cared that much about clothes. I don't own tons of shoes and I'm not very fashion-conscious.

I like wearing my husband's shirts (sometimes) because they're really comfortable. I only buy a new dress if I have a wedding or special function to go to. Most of the time I wear t-shirts and jeans.

kristie911
09-10-2008, 10:27 PM
I can't speak for the other leggy folks around here, but there's nothing to be jealous of in the clothing department.

And since I'm one of those thin leggy folks, I actually have to shop in the junior's department. I don't have enough boobs for "women's/ missues" (adult) clothes. And I'm 27. It's hard to dress professionally without looking like a kid when I have to shop in the Juniors.

I'm leggy (35" inseam to be exact!) and I have to shop in Juniors for jeans and pants. Most woman's (or misses) jeans have a 32" inseam. Maybe 33" if you can find them in talls (rarely). Juniors almost always come in talls and the inseam is actually tall! However, someday I'd like to wear something that doesn't show my ass when I bend over! *sigh*

I found a company that does tall clothing for women but I can't pay $80 for a pair of jeans. So I wear long shirts...

ChaosTitan
09-10-2008, 10:34 PM
I'm puzzling too. I weigh 117 and am in either a 4 or 6, depending on the pants. When I weighed 134 I was a size 8.

Huh. I'm also 5'5". I wear size 6 comfortably, and the last time I checked I was 149 pounds.*

Of course, I have strong leg and arm muscles from my day job, so some of the "extra weight" comes from that.

*I think I checked about ten days ago, and that was the first time I'd weighed myself in at least a year. I just don't care what the scale says if my clothes continue to fit right.

Kitrianna
09-11-2008, 12:50 AM
To answer the question of how I can weigh 150 and still be a size 6...I take multiple steriods everday, several times perday. Ok well insulin isn't really a steriod, the interamuscular injections that I take several times a day act like one. I've been doing that since I was 13. Do the math. That and I'm 5'7" and I walk everywhere. Oh and i live in Canada. Our sizes are smaller than in the US.

Never thought that being a type 1 diabetic would come in handy :)

Storm Dream
09-11-2008, 01:12 AM
Oooh, I hate the different sizing in different stores! I am 5'7'' and hover in the mid-120s (at the moment) and buying jeans is a giant pain in the butt. Weirdly enough, the ones that are the most comfortable and look the best are a pair of 7s I got at Target. At this point they're too big, even, but I didn't want to try a 5. Other stores I go to - Express, American Eagle, Old Navy, Macy's, Ross - all the sizing is different, I have go through a frillion pairs just to find one that fits. Grrrr.

I find I can't get "grown-up" jeans to fit me, so I am also stuck in the Jrs. section. I like the general cut of them, leg-wise, but I wish I could find something besides the...what're they called...lowriders? blegh.

I'm jealous of you curvy ladies, though. I would love to have curves. I just get lumpy instead. :(