PDA

View Full Version : Freak Up Your Fries!

KTC
09-06-2008, 02:53 AM

smoothseas
09-06-2008, 02:56 AM
Eat 'em with mayo instead of ketchup.

TerzaRima
09-06-2008, 02:59 AM
Smooth, that is just wrong. Never mention that practice again.

Ken
09-06-2008, 03:00 AM
they call 'em Freedom Fries down here in the States ;-)

...With mine though I just dip them in lots of ketchup.
Mustard is ok too.

smoothseas
09-06-2008, 03:11 AM

But I likes 'em that way...

Jersey Chick
09-06-2008, 03:26 AM
they call 'em Freedom Fries down here in the States ;-)

...With mine though I just dip them in lots of ketchup.
Mustard is ok too.

Anyone calls them freedom fries in front of me is going to get slapped upside the head. :D

FRENCH fries

I'm boring with them - just ketchup. Though I have seen diners round here serve them with (ack) gravy...

Shadow_Ferret
09-06-2008, 03:28 AM
No. It isn't. I thought as you did until I tried it. Freedom Fries are delish with Mayo.

Jersey Chick
09-06-2008, 03:44 AM
**smacks SF**

FRENCH fries

:D

benbradley
09-06-2008, 03:54 AM
I eat Freedom Fries with frankenfurters hot dogs!

katiemac
09-06-2008, 04:06 AM
There was a big push after 9/11 to call French Fries "Freedom Fries" when the French didn't back the U.S. Here, a couple of storefronts changed signs on their windows (and have since changed them back) but I've never heard anyone actually adopt it in their vocabulary.

As for me, I slice potatoes really thin and either throw them on a Foreman grill or in a pan tossed with basil, oregano, a little salt and olice oil. Not really French fries, but there you go. Real fries I like with honey mustard sauce.

Ageless Stranger
09-06-2008, 04:09 AM
There was a big push after 9/11 to call French Fries "Freedom Fries" when the French didn't back the U.S. Here, a couple of storefronts changed signs on their windows (and have since changed them back) but I've never heard anyone actually adopt it in their vocabulary.

As for me, I slice potatoes really thin and either throw them on a Foreman grill or in a pan tossed with basil, oregano, a little salt and olice oil. Not really French fries, but there you go. Real fries I like with honey mustard sauce.

That sounds delicious. I shall try them! I've never actually used my Foreman grill so this could get interesting. . .

L M Ashton
09-06-2008, 05:13 AM
I eat 'em with mayo, too, but prefer garlic mayo. *smacks lips*

Jersey Chick
09-06-2008, 05:16 AM
More Freedom fries?!??! you guys must be joking... ;)

Seriously, has anyone actually gone into a diner or restaurant and order Freedom fries? With a straight face?

Mumut
09-06-2008, 06:41 AM
The way I prefer them is not nutritionally acceptable for many, these days. I heat vegetable oil in a deep frier until quite hot. I cut the potaties to 1cm square cross-section and fry them until they are yellowish and cooked through. Then I drain them and let them cool. Just before I want to serve them I heat the oil to very hot and plunge the chips in. I cook them until really crisp, drain on absorbant paper and serve immediately.

Sweet potato chips are different. Like with fruit loaf, there is more sugar so will burn at a lower temperature. Ever thought how thick people are who always toast fruit loaf on the same setting as their ordinary bread? And always burn it?

With sweet potatoes I either cut them into match stick thickness, deep fry in very hot oil but watch it constantly. When a bit brown, take them out. They taste awful if burnt. The other way is to microwave the normal-size sweet-pototo chips 'til they're cooked through and then finish them in hot oil.

A nest of sweet potato twigs is perfect for baked ham slices and pineapple sauce.

Ken
09-06-2008, 05:26 PM
Anyone calls them freedom fries in front of me is going to get slapped upside the head. :D

FRENCH fries

how 'bout a compromise: French/Freedom Fries ;-)

L M Ashton
09-06-2008, 05:28 PM
Not for me. They're French fries. Freedom fries just sounds so... Eck.

Lyra Jean
09-06-2008, 05:33 PM
I like my French fries with chili

L M Ashton
09-06-2008, 05:33 PM
Yeah, you're Canadian, right, KTC? It only makes sense that you're with me on this. :D

L M Ashton
09-06-2008, 05:34 PM
I like mine best as poutine, honestly. :D

Robin
09-06-2008, 05:37 PM
I like my French fries with chili
Chilli and cheese. Mmmm.

Or, Wendy's fries taste great dipped in a chocolate Frosty.

L M Ashton
09-06-2008, 05:47 PM
I haven't had authentic Quebecois poutine, just the bastardized versions that we have in western Canada. But still, very nice! :)

I could definitely get behind Caesar salad dressing on French fries. That sounds great! As does your red pepper version. Although there's no way I would strain the red pepper flakes out. :D

Although that's making me think about making a garlic mayonnaise with extra red chilli powder added. The garlic mayo is a huge hit here, and everyone loves spicy everything, so it just seems like a natural fit. :D

L M Ashton
09-06-2008, 05:48 PM
And I've also had poutine with chili - not at all authentic, but also very nice. And a meal in and of itself!

Shadow_Ferret
09-06-2008, 05:53 PM
Not for me. They're French fries. Freedom fries just sounds so... Eck.
The French in french fries refers to that they are fried in oil the French way or some such nonsense. So essentially we're saying Fried Fries.

What the heck is poutine? Sounds like that Vietnamese word for... um... nevermind.

L M Ashton
09-06-2008, 06:00 PM
Poutine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poutine).

Short version: French fries with cheese curds and gravy. Quebecois. Actually, this is about the only time I can stomach gravy, now that I think of it.

Shadow_Ferret
09-06-2008, 06:02 PM
Well, I can dig the cheese, but gravy?

Color me leary.

illiterwrite
09-06-2008, 06:05 PM
You never put gravy on fries?

Mmm. Poutine.

We actually don't make French fries at home very often. Or rather, I make fries out of sweet potatoes -- toss them with olive oil, salt, and whatever spices I have on hand, then bake them.

L M Ashton
09-06-2008, 06:10 PM
I don't like gravy at all. Except for poutine. I don't know why... The gravy really makes it.

But then, I also add ketchup on top and also vinegar sometimes, depending on the mood. Of course, I haven't had poutine for over five years - since I was last in Canada. There's no way anyone here has ever heard of them, never mind attempting to make 'em.

Shadow_Ferret
09-06-2008, 06:12 PM
You never put gravy on fries?

No! Gravy doesn't go on fries it goes on potatoes. That just sounds *shudders* gross.

L M Ashton
09-06-2008, 06:35 PM
Um, I hate to tell you this, but French fries are made from potatoes.

Haggis
09-06-2008, 07:08 PM
I thought Canadians all put gravy on their fries.

Shadow_Ferret
09-06-2008, 07:10 PM
Um, I hate to tell you this, but French fries are made from potatoes.

That's funny. That's like saying cream doesn't go in coffee...it goes in coffee.
No. It's not like that at all.

Fries are CRISP. They are meant to be eaten while CRISPY.

Gravy makes them soggy. If you want soggy potatoes then why did you FRY them in the first place?

Fries and potatoes are different. It's like saying steak and hamburger are the same. Or ham and bacon. Different textures. Different ways to enjoy them.

Fenika
09-06-2008, 07:11 PM
Chop up some sweet potatoes into thin slices (preferably not the absurdly orange ones. Sweet potatoes do come in white ya know)

Stir fry on a pan with plenty of oil until most of the 'chips' are crumbly.

Add cinnamon and sugar.

Enjoy.

Fenika
09-06-2008, 07:12 PM
Er, I see my post is poorly timed. Increase the temp to get a more crispy version of the above.

Lyra Jean
09-06-2008, 07:14 PM
Chop up some sweet potatoes into thin slices (preferably not the absurdly orange ones. Sweet potatoes do come in white ya know)

Stir fry on a pan with plenty of oil until most of the 'chips' are crumbly.

Add cinnamon and sugar.

Enjoy.

Sweet potatoes come in white?!

illiterwrite
09-06-2008, 07:32 PM
Soggy goodness. My favourite is KFC gravy.

I think we're moving to Montreal next year, in fact. I'm sure my body will appreciate it if I avoid poutine as much as possible.

Bubastes
09-06-2008, 08:37 PM
I like my fries with garlic mayo or with chili and cheese. Yum.

ETA: oh, almost forgot: I also love fries sprinkled with Old Bay seasoning.

GLAZE_by_KyrstinMc
09-06-2008, 08:41 PM
But I likes 'em that way...

That's fine. I know many people who like their French Fries like that. :)

GLAZE_by_KyrstinMc
09-06-2008, 08:44 PM
I like vinegar and extra salt on my French Fries. :)

illiterwrite
09-06-2008, 08:48 PM
Oh, I used to eat fries with gravy AND vinegar. Yum yum! Especially fries from the chip wagon on the street.

Chumplet
09-06-2008, 09:49 PM
I like mine naked. And I just call 'em fries.

Yeah, gravy is common on fries here. So is vinegar and ketchup. They all make the fries soggy, and that's why I like 'em naked, see?

I went to a restaurant in Hamilton and they had sweet potato fries with a chipotle spice. They were deeeeeelish!

My friend Trish The Dish has her fries with Ranch Dressing.

stormie
09-06-2008, 09:59 PM
I love my fries loaded with Cheez Whiz. :D

Or for a lower-fat version:
Scrub and vertically slice either red or gold potatoes. Lightly coat Reynolds Release Wrap with olive oil. Lay slices on pan, not overlapping. Turn slices to coat. Sprinkle coarse sea salt over all. Bake in 400 degree F preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.

Of course you can add garlic powder, ground pepper, whatever. Then again go for the fat and add lots and lots of Cheez Whiz.

oneblindmouse
09-06-2008, 10:40 PM

Not in the country where I live, they don't.

Shadow_Ferret
09-06-2008, 10:41 PM
When you guys say vinegar you mean MALT vinegar, right? Not the distilled stuff I use to clean with or dye easter eggs with.

oneblindmouse
09-06-2008, 10:44 PM
Malt vinegar, apple vinegar, wine vinegar. Any will do, except the balsamic. I shudder to think what kind of vinegar you clean with!!?

nicolen
09-06-2008, 10:55 PM
How about we save the French/Freedom fries argument and agree everyone should refer to them as chips! Works for me! :D

So that's what poutine is. I have an online friend from Quebec who raves about it and I've always wondered. Resembles heart attack on a plate, really!

For me, deep fried from the fish and chip shop at the end of the street. Served with Watties Tomato Sauce or made into a chip buttie. Yum! At home, I don't deep fry anything, so chips are always oven baked. Usually I'll cut a potato into several wedges, toss them in a smidgeon of oil and top them with various herbs and spices and throw them in the oven for a time.

Shadow_Ferret
09-06-2008, 11:00 PM
I shudder to think what kind of vinegar you clean with!!?White distilled vinegar. What else would you use it for?

Fenika
09-06-2008, 11:09 PM
Not in the country where I live, they don't.

Depending on your country, you prolly have them around.

All the main stores round here only carry the deep orange variety. They might carry 20 different potatoes, but varieties of sweet potato are a joke. (Regular or microwavable? gag me)

The specialty/health stores on the other hand. Mmmmmm. So far our favorites are the Japanese and Jewel varieties. We've grilled them, baked them, roasted them with meat (cut in half and put the flat side down where it is sure to get the juices), stewed them, and on and on.

Have a look around. Ask the more personal places if they can help you. Some places are willing to order items on their distributors list just for you. Both small stores and large chains (at least in the US they are).

/derail

illiterwrite
09-06-2008, 11:58 PM
Speaking of gravy, did you know that the hot chicken sandwich in Quebec is typically served with peas on top? I had no idea. My Montrealer husband was appalled when I made them at home the first time and left out the peas.

Or maybe it's just that I was pea-deprived in my childhood. Maybe everyone else eats hot chicken sandwiches like that, and I'm the odd one.

I also had no idea there were so many varieties of sweet potato. I'll have to check out my local organic shop.

oneblindmouse
09-07-2008, 01:09 AM
White distilled vinegar. What else would you use it for?

You mean commercial acetic acid? Yes, it's good for cleaning.

stormie
09-07-2008, 02:20 AM
Vinegar on fries. I don't think I've ever seen that around here (in NJ). Here we go for full fat. Cheese on fries. Cheese on hot dogs. Cheese on burgers. Cheese on chocolate. (Nix the last one.)

Chumplet
09-07-2008, 02:29 AM
We went to Schwartz's in Montreal way back when. I think I had blintzes. Great place with lots of atmosphere.

I didn't have to scrub my lungs that day in Hamilton. The freakin' rainstorm washed the pollution away for at least that day.

illiterwrite
09-07-2008, 02:35 AM
Ask your husband if he's ever been here:

http://media-files.gather.com/images/d102/d356/d744/d224/d96/f3/full.jpg

It's a cute little place I like to call HEAVEN.

I asked him. He said, "Of course, man, it's Schwartz's." And then he made a little tsking noise.

Jersey Chick
09-07-2008, 02:40 AM
There used to be a diner here that served fries with gravy. I've never tried them, but a friend of mine used to swear by them.

I usually make my own. And make sure they've got enough salt :D

L M Ashton
09-07-2008, 05:33 AM
So that's what poutine is. I have an online friend from Quebec who raves about it and I've always wondered. Resembles heart attack on a plate, really!

Yup, that's exactly what it is. :D

Mumut
09-07-2008, 06:15 AM
I wonder if French Freedom Fighters ate fries - the f...f...f...fries.

L M Ashton
09-07-2008, 06:18 AM
Isn't that a line out of A Fish Called Wanda?

tjwriter
09-07-2008, 09:29 PM
What's all this complaining about SOGGY fries? I never pour anything over my fries. That's just nasty. I dip mine.

Fries dipped in gravy are good.

I also like dipping homemade fries in spicy mayo. Kraft makes a pretty decent one on the shelves in stores around here. Though usually I add some extra spicy to mine. I was introduced to this by a chef that would take a can of chipolte peppers and add it to the mayo. Good stuff.

*Starts a fried potato of some sort craving.*

threedogpeople
09-07-2008, 11:32 PM
Our favorite "oven" fried potatoes.

Heat oven to 525. Cut fresh potatoes into wedges, rinse, pat dry. Add 1 T (more if you need it) good quality cooking oil (we like Safflower), sprinkle with garlic salt & Lowry's Season salt. Toss to make sure every potato gets salted & oiled. I have also used an olive oil spray to cut calories.

Place on a single layer on cookie sheet, use two if you need to - don't crowd the potatoes.

Cook until tender & the outside of the potatoes are crispy and golden brown.

Helpful hint, make double what you usually make since these will disappear!

OH, you can also short-cut this with frozen fries or tater tots. Skip the oil (they come pre-oiled). But toss with garlic salt & season salt.

Chumplet
09-08-2008, 04:32 AM
My oven burns everything, even when I set it 25 degrees below suggested temp. Makes fries raw in the middle and burnt on the edges.

I hear you should deep fry at a moderate temperature, take 'em out, let them cool, jack up the oil temp and refry. That makes them lovely and golden crispy on the outside.

JLCwrites
09-08-2008, 06:48 PM
Ohhh! I love fries!!! Here are some ways that I adorn mine...

Black pepper... lots of it.

Vineager - Mr. Turkey hates the smell

Garlic Fries - YUM!

Plain salted - Mmm . . a classic

Kitrianna
09-08-2008, 06:54 PM
Mmmmmm. French fries. Chip Wagons. *drool*

I have quite a few suggestions. First of which is poutine. Love fries with that yummy cheese curd and gravy. Of course plain gravy is good too. As is sour cream, bacon, cheese, green onions and chili other wise known as the works from New York Fries. Of course the home standby of sea salt, fresh cracked black pepper and malt vinegar works in a pinch :D

Lyra Jean
09-08-2008, 07:06 PM
Poutine must taste better than it looks with so many people raving about it.

Kitrianna
09-08-2008, 07:16 PM
Come up here and try it. It is yummy! Definite good eats :)

L M Ashton
09-09-2008, 05:31 AM
Yeah, it don't look great, but the taste is something else entirely. :D

Sarita
09-09-2008, 05:46 AM
Mmm, fries. I like mine with:

Fresh Rosemary
Minced garlic
S/P and oil to toss

I usually bake them and then squeeze a lemon over them. Yum.

KC Sunshine
09-09-2008, 05:47 AM
Ketchup AND mustard mixed together, Sling Blade style.

Sarita
09-09-2008, 05:50 AM
Oooo! How could I forget?

Instead of hitting them with salt and pepper out of the frier, give them a healthy dose of OLD BAY. OMG. I need Old Bay Fries!

They are so good.

L M Ashton
09-09-2008, 05:51 AM
I haven't tried mustard and ketchup together. If we could get decent mustard here, I'd be willing to give that a try.

At McDonalds here, they have not just regular ketchup, but also chilli & garlic ketchup, and that is the best ketchup I've ever had! It's da bomb, baby!

L M Ashton
09-09-2008, 05:52 AM
What is this Old Bay seasoning y'all are raving on about?

Sarita
09-09-2008, 05:56 AM
http://www.oldbay.com/

Mmmmm, life cannot be complete without Old Bay. It's a dream on crabs or shrimp, but man... you can throw it on almost anything and it's sooooo good.

L M Ashton
09-09-2008, 06:09 AM
Okey dokey. Thanks. :)

L M Ashton
09-09-2008, 02:55 PM
Yeah, I've had it with curds, and I've had it with shredded cheese. Shredded cheese, especially with chilli, works for me, but curds with gravy is better. Well, depending on my mood, of course. :)

Stacia Kane
09-09-2008, 03:18 PM
My brother puts A-1 sauce on his. It's actually quite good; I will occasionally dip mine into a little A-1 too.

In general though, just ketchup. And I sprinkle the ketchup liberally with salt & pepper. Mmm.

Malt vinegar & salt if I'm having fish and chips.

And I could have sworn someone mentioned chip butties, but I didn't see it when I just rescanned the thread. It's a french fry sandwich with butter. They're pretty good but I have a hard time bringing myself to eat them, simply because I can't stop focusing on the fact that it is essentially nothing but a big starch & fat sandwich. :)

L M Ashton
09-09-2008, 03:26 PM
My sister uses leftover French fries in an omelette the following morning. The kids love it. :)

threedogpeople
09-10-2008, 02:31 PM
Ketchup and Tobasco!

Lyra Jean
09-10-2008, 02:44 PM
I first saw it and thought you said ketchup and tobacco.

I like my fries with BBQ sauce (ketchup based). I also like Arby's curly fries plain.

Kitrianna
09-11-2008, 01:07 AM
Arby's curly fries dipped in Horsey Sauce!

Bubastes
09-11-2008, 01:10 AM
Arby's curly fries dipped in Horsey Sauce!

Darn you. Now I have the urge to go to Arby's.

Kitrianna
09-12-2008, 01:53 AM
Darn you. Now I have the urge to go to Arby's.

Sorry :Shrug: I've wanted to go for weeks...

tjwriter
09-12-2008, 04:33 AM
Just mentioning that I LOVE this thread title. It makes me smile everytime I read it.

jennontheisland
09-15-2008, 10:24 PM
Okay, I'd heard that gravy on fries is a Canadian thing, but didn't really believe it.

Who can go through highschool without fries and gravy. What do you eat for lunch?? I think I lived on the stuff for 3 years straight.

And if you dip them, they stay crisp. Best of both worlds IMO. Because ketchup, ick. Not since my kid started dipping everything he eats in it (a habit I'm trying desperately to break) can I stomach even the smell of it.

For me, it's either gravy or vinegar.

We usually bake ours in the oven. Tossed in oil and sprinkled with basil or oregano.

Shadow_Ferret
09-16-2008, 12:48 AM
My sister uses leftover French fries in an omelette the following morning. The kids love it. :)
I do that, too. Refry the fries until crispy, then I pour the beaten eggs over it, then add cheese. Not really an omlette, but good nonetheless.

jennifer75
10-07-2008, 03:25 AM
What do you do with your french fries? Tell us here...

http://i38.tinypic.com/20z2peu.jpg

jennifer75
10-07-2008, 03:30 AM
Mmm, fries. I like mine with:

Fresh Rosemary
Minced garlic
S/P and oil to toss

I usually bake them and then squeeze a lemon over them. Yum.
God that makes me want a beer!